Narva Halogen Bulbs in 65/60 Watt H4 -Any Experience With These ?

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
I saw some pictures of Narva 65 /60 watt Halogens but no specs.

Are these a possible winner on low beam versus Osram Bilux 70/65 ?

Thinking at about 13.8 volts I may get about 1400 + lumens on low beam from the Osrams.

Seems that Narva also makes some slightly higher Wattage bulbs-any experience with them ?

I am aware of the better focus etc. of ,Philips Xtreme, and

Osram Nightbreaker Series but still guess that unless these are designed specifically for a reflector- that they can not make up the difference of a few hundred lumens versus the Bilux.

I am concerened with low beam performance (hibeams have plenty of light from standard bulbs for me) so

on a H4 , going up to 70 watts low beam , can a Narva 65/60 or a 75/70 IF they make one beat the HiLux ?

Any other Halogen which can in the wattage range I specified ?

Thanks in advance.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some pictures of Narva 65 /60 watt Halogens but no specs.
Ok.

Osram Nightbreaker Series but still guess that unless these are designed specifically for a reflector- that they can not make up the difference of a few hundred lumens versus the Bilux.
Halogen bulbs aren't designed specifically for a reflector or projector. A lamp assembly is designed for the selected bulb type. The very first step in designing a headlamp is picking the specific light source. It HAS to be done this way because a bulb will have a specific base type and light center length (among other things). You don't make a projector or reflector headlamp and then try to find the specific bulb that will work with it!

You're still so focused on wattage for reasons I can't quite fathom.

Qship1996

Enlightened
You are splitting hairs over this wayyyyyy to much.....get the Osram 70/65 or the Extreme,and call it a day.A possible extra 100 lumens one way or the other really makes no noticeable difference.Pick whichever of the two that is easiest to obtain now,and in the future, when the bulbs need to be replaced.

fastgun

Enlightened
Narva makes 70, 90 and 100 watt low beam H4. There is not much advertising about the lumens they claim.
Flosser makes several H4 with low beam wattage up to around 140 watts. But, I have not seen a statement for lumens that I would trust.

Osram has the 64206 85/80 watt H4. Their catalog shows 1750 lumens on low beam. There has been a good amount of discussion about this bulb on this forum during the past weeks

The 70/65 64205 is listed as producing 1350 lumens on low beam.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I saw some pictures of Narva 65 /60 watt Halogens

Can you show us a link or provide more detail? AFAIK there is no 65/60w 12v H4 bulb from Narva or anyone else.

Are these a possible winner on low beam versus Osram Bilux 70/65 ?

Probably not. I refer you (again) to this data and remind you that wattage is not the way to pick the best headlight bulb.

still guess that unless these are designed specifically for a reflector- that they can not make up the difference of a few hundred lumens versus the Bilux.

There is no need to guess. Go and look at the data!

on a H4 , going up to 70 watts low beam , can a Narva 65/60 or a 75/70 IF they make one beat the HiLux ?

HiLux is a model name Toyota has used on various truck-based vehicles for many years. As far as I know it has not been applied to a bulb. And there is (still) no direct linkage between wattage input and lumens output.

Any other Halogen which can in the wattage range I specified ?

You have now asked this question multiple times. The answer isn't going to change.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
HiLux is a model name Toyota has used on various truck-based vehicles for many years. As far as I know it has not been applied to a bulb. And there is (still) no direct linkage between wattage input and lumens output.

So, I shouldn't install the Osram HiLux into my Toyota BILUX? I saw a commercial for it on my Magnetbox TV!

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a HiLux Toyota Pickup .

Precisely 4 Tires.

Referring to the Bulb, meant Bilux.

The relationship between Wattage and Lumens is indirect within a specific Design.

If your living room is too dark...and you want the same type bulb, only brighter, higher wattage is the easiest way .

So ...rather than nitpick , tell me that if a Bilux 64205 is specced at 1350 lumens at 13.2 volts

what would Lumens be ( aside from plus or minus tolerances) at 14.1 volts ?

Thanks.

Remember, I am not overthinking, just learning differences between bulbs versus other bulbs versus Pickup Trucks etc.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The relationship between Wattage and Lumens is indirect within a specific Design.

It's indirect whether we're comparing different types of "12 volt, 55 watt" bulbs or looking at different varieties of (for example) "12 volt, 55 watt" H1 bulbs.

If your living room is too dark...and you want the same type bulb, only brighter, higher wattage is the easiest way.

That used to be true, when all bulbs were incandescent, but it hasn't been true for many years, not since halogens (and then CFLs, and now LEDs) came on the market. Anyway, that doesn't really matter because we're not talking about living room lighting on this board.

So ...rather than nitpick

Nobody's nitpicking. What you're experiencing is frustration and razzing because you keep on making statements that just plain aren't correct. That is a common reaction when people's attempts to educate are met with insistent clinging to mistaken beliefs without basis in reality.

tell me that if a Bilux 64205 is specced at 1350 lumens at 13.2 volts what would Lumens be ( aside from plus or minus tolerances) at 14.1 volts ?

1689, approximately.

I am not overthinking

I agree. But you're also apparently not reading and absorbing the answers that are being given to you in this and other threads. Please make more of an effort. Also, where are those 65/60w Narva H4 bulbs you saw? Link, please.

Last edited:

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
1689 !

That is much higher than a stock bulb and should be great on low beam .

I can understand and appreciate why you guys are directing me toward the Bilux or the Philips.

Thought there may have been a Narva or other which might be nice also. There is I think a Narva
H4 65/60 but hard to find .

Even though Youtube Vids are unpredictable and widely variable ( exposures etc.) the Bilux Videos were impressive and a Little

whiter than most Halogens.

The ' whiteness' is just more fun , not of course truly better for perception.

If I get 1600-1700 lumens and aim responsibly, should be great.

Will let you guys know how they work.

A few Videos with Osram 64205:

Автолампочки OSRAM Bilux H4 на АЗЛК-2141: http://youtu.be/24OK6jMbhOk

This one looks great partially because of the Reflector but still that nice whiteness like the
Nightbreakers but bigger, more intense low beam.

To my VERY untrained eyes, looks a bit like a very low wattage HID ,IF they made them very low.

Really like the low beams here :

Cibie E-code + 70-65W Osram Bilux.wmv: http://youtu.be/doIWmD0vp-A

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is I think a Narva
H4 65/60 but hard to find .

I don't think such a bulb exists. It's not in any of the Narva catalogs I've checked (starting in this year's and going back to 1986)

Even though Youtube Vids are unpredictable and widely variable ( exposures etc.)

Unfortunately, videos and pictures are useless for showing or evaluating how headlight bulbs (or headlights) work. And I don't see any indication that the video you linked has anything to do with the 70/65w bulbs...what makes you think so? Remember, "Bilux" is the name Osram has used for all of its two-filament headlight bulbs since the 1920s.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Having used both the 85/80 and the 70/65 watt osram rallye bulbs for years,I cant say that I notice any "whiter" light than a standard bulb,which is just fine for me!

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
I think the Videos I Posted earlier were of the 64205 Bilux.

This one is of the Narva "65/60" according to the User but of course, he could have read the specs wrong .

A few of the other slightly higher wattage bulbs I saw were 24 volt Commercial Vehicle Types.
(not applicable for my use).
Narva H4 65/60W at 12.5V vs 14V: http://youtu.be/t2AediDROzc

The reference to a 70 watt Narva was probably an error, because as you say, I could NOT track it down....lol.

And - a little razzing from the Pros is OK -I appreciate all of your patience.

@Qship- thanks for the info on "whiteness"-since I have nowhere to see any of these bulbs 'On"

I am trying to get a rough idea from Videos and Pics- which may tell a little(or maybe not) but

the Videos and Pics of the Nightbreakers and the 64205 do seem a little "whiter" but I think a better
Term might be more intense which I am referring to.

Luckily, I will be running at a bit over 14 volts, so at the expense of life of bulb (don't care) will be

getting more intensity than most halogens.

Also -I seem to have read that the 64205 is a +50 bulb, does this mean it has some of the

Characteristics of the Osram Nightbreakers ?

I do find this interesting....

@Virgil- sorry I thought the Bilux was just the 70/65 and variations because of misinformation
on a Motorcycle Post ( not here ).

To All who are trying to answer- sorry to waste your brain power on false premise questions, etc. I will get it eventually, lol.

Last edited:

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
Having used both the 85/80 and the 70/65 watt osram rallye bulbs for years,I cant say that I notice any "whiter" light than a standard bulb,which is just fine for me!

Are your 70/65 approximately this color ?

Cibie E-code + 70-65W Osram Bilux.wmv: http://youtu.be/doIWmD0vp-A

Ignore that it's a video and look at the general color of the beam.

The stock lights on my car are more yellow and less intense.

I see this on the Nightbreaker Plus and Unlimited pics/vids also.

While Videos can be inaccurate/misleading they can be more informative than just reading about the Subject IMO.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I guess that video is close,but since I have been using the 85/80 watt bulbs for the last four years,I am use to seeing much more intense light than in that video,especially on high beam,not whiter,but definitely much brighter.I think you will be happy choosing the Osram Rallye bulbs.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
robertkoa said:
While Videos can be inaccurate/misleading they can be more informative than just reading about the Subject IMO.

That is not correct. Videos are useless. They will not (cannot) tell you anything useful about headlight bulbs. If you're curious how a particular bulb will work, you can get a subjective impression by buying and trying, or an objective report by having a photometric workup done in a lab.

Last edited:

Latest posts