NBP vs. Wild

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like how these shows really inspire ppl who are sometimes not even outdoorsy to learn survival tips or even go out and appreciate nature.

very cool post.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I never have slept in an igloo, but now that you bring it up, when we get sufficient snow this winter, maybe I'll have to add a secondary shelter to this project: The SNOW CAVE! Perfect for all your winter survival needs. BRRRR! :crazy:

@ Kaichu Dento:
Tent camping in Alaska. Pete you're crazier than me! :laughing:
I've done a fair bit of winter camping in Fbks AK. Once when it was -35F, my buddy and I built snow shelters of comparable style. I got so hot that night that I had to unzip & open my sleeping bag down to my sternum.

Edit: nbp, thanks for posting the good pics, BTW. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi everybody,

Ok, first confession, I did not stay in the shelter all night. However, I did learn some things in the few hours I was out there, and that was the point, right? Alright, things learned:

1. If you are claustrophobic, you will have trouble in this hut. I didn't really have this problem or get nervous in it or anything, but ultimately the thing that drove me into the house was not the cold, but the fact that you cannot move around in this thing. I am kind of a 'mobile sleeper' and I move around a fair amount while I sleep. I found it difficult to get comfortable and I was getting kind of stiff. It's sort of a coffin. In a survival situation, I could have done it for sure, but after a few hours of crappy sleep, I was like, aw heck, I'm going in.

2. Make sure any small brush you cut down to clear your shelter space is cut flush with the ground. You will find all of them with your back when you get in it, and you will have no space to sit up and cut them down once you are tucked in. Oops.

3. Make sure you have compressed and compacted your leaves enough. I could feel some drafts coming in at various locations. I assume I just didn't pack the leaves into the brush and ribbing tight enough to keep out the air. Especially this was the case around the door. The piece of plywood did not create a tight seal and I could feel a breeze coming in. Either find a better door solution, or bring in a pile of leaves or other debris with you and jam it into the spaces around your door to keep out wind and keep warmth in.

4. Put a pretty thick pile of leaves on the floor of the shelter for sleeping on. They will compress down a lot. I did put leaves in there, but I could have used more. The ground is not very cold here yet as we have had a warm fall, but remember, you are trying to sleep here, so the better cushion and the more comfortable you are the better. I could have used more cushion. The colder it is the more important the insulation layer below you is. Normally for camping I have a Thermarest self-inflating pad to put under me. I didn't have that in this shelter and the ground is kinda hard.

Overall, I would say that this is a very doable shelter, and definitely a viable survival option if you have sufficient materials. Proper construction is a must though if you want to be warm and comfortable. I would suggest you practice building one before it becomes a necessity though, as you will learn a lot through the experience. My one big tip for the debris hut: WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE COLLECTED ENOUGH LEAVES, DOUBLE IT. Pile them on and in your shelter til it seems ridiculous. This is critical for warmth and comfort.

Assuming that it doesn't fall down before that, I am very interested to see how warm this might be once it has a foot of snow on top of it. The combo of leaves and snow might make for a pretty cozy little den. :naughty:

Thanks again for following me, and all your comments. It is way more fun to do this stuff with others involved too. :twothumbs

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread. Great job on the shelter, especially given the tools that you used. :thumbsup:
Even if you were to become separated from your equipment you could make do. I carry a little fire/first aid kit on my person while out just in case something like that happens.
I'm looking forward to the updates.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Add a tarp, and your only enemy is waking up in the morning...

5041221948_2f26d5f573_z.jpg

On another note, I enjoyed reading about your shelter building exercise and look forward to reading the other aspects of your survival experiments. I would love to attempt the same, but my backyard consists of a concrete patio and a single tree.

I made a setup very similiar to this a few years back on a camping trip in the mountains, worked very well for keeping you dry, wished I had pictures but I didnt pack a camera. :rolleyes:

carrot

Flashaholic
I made a setup very similiar to this a few years back on a camping trip in the mountains, worked very well for keeping you dry, wished I had pictures but I didnt pack a camera. :rolleyes:
Sadly this is not a setup I made but one I paid quite dearly for. However, it is all kitted out and is 4.6lbs ready for 4-season camping. And hammock camping can be incredibly inexpensive (and lightweight) if you're willing to give up a few luxuries that this one has.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sadly this is not a setup I made but one I paid quite dearly for. However, it is all kitted out and is 4.6lbs ready for 4-season camping. And hammock camping can be incredibly inexpensive (and lightweight) if you're willing to give up a few luxuries that this one has.
Those are really something else, but how easy is it getting in and out of it? The few times I've lain in a hammock I remember it as being a very slow process to get in, and dangerous getting out.
shrug.gif

mrartillery

Enlightened

:laughing: Those are nice, mine was much more along the lines of a tarp tied between trees and a makeshift sleeping site underneath. :ironic:

carrot

Flashaholic
Those are really something else, but how easy is it getting in and out of it? The few times I've lain in a hammock I remember it as being a very slow process to get in, and dangerous getting out.
shrug.gif
Camping hammocks are a whole other story from the kind that most people have in their backyard (rope and wood spreader bars). I chose this particular brand because it is considered one of the most stable hammocks being sold today (the company claims it is very nearly impossible for one person to tip it over while inside), but many other camping hammocks are quite difficult to fall out of.

To get in, just put your hands under you and spread out the hammock, sit down, and then swivel yourself until you are laying down. Then zip it up and take a nice comfortable rest.

They are, IMHO, the perfect camp shelter for several reasons: they will not get wet at all (provided you use a tarp), they are more comfortable than on the ground, and you can use it as a covered area and chair for cooking in the rain (or in the sun).

You do need to watch out for losing heat through convection though, so some kind of insulation underneath you (in my case, Climashield HL) is necessary in anything but the hottest temperatures.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Plus, in the hammock, the terrain makes no difference so long as you have trees. Rocks, roots, inclines, wetness, doesn't matter, you're suspended. And you leave no trace if you are backcountry camping. They are excellent campsite solutions.

~~~
I also wanted to mention that I will be on vacation this coming weekend and a few days next week, so I will not be able to play, errr, experiment ;) during that time. I know you are all looking forward to the next 'episode', fire-making. :popcorn:

I do have one verrry crude attempt at a fire-making tool I tried out a few weeks ago. I was not really successful with it in terms of starting a fire other than heat and a little smoke, but if you guys are interested, I can try to post a pic or two and a little info on it during the week. Let me know what you think.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Having once visited a historical colonial village, one of the actors took a dry pine cone, wrapped a length of dry old twine or lint around it, and then used the old method of flint and steel to get a spark onto the lint.

The pine cone soon began to burn, and was used to start a bigger fire. Perhaps you could try that method? (Not quite as good as cotton balls soaked in wax. Then again, they might have been able to use that back in colonial times.)

nbp

Flashaholic
That is an idea.

I have a Swedish firesteel if it comes to it, and usually I tuck that in a pocket anytime I head into the woods (just in case) but first I'd like to try the "rub two sticks together" methods. There are many variations on this time tested style of starting a fire, and I'd like to try those first. If I fail miserably, I'll go to the firesteel. :ohgeez:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Camping hammocks are a whole other story from the kind that most people have in their backyard (rope and wood spreader bars). I chose this particular brand because it is considered one of the most stable hammocks being sold today (the company claims it is very nearly impossible for one person to tip it over while inside), but many other camping hammocks are quite difficult to fall out of.

To get in, just put your hands under you and spread out the hammock, sit down, and then swivel yourself until you are laying down. Then zip it up and take a nice comfortable rest.

They are, IMHO, the perfect camp shelter for several reasons: they will not get wet at all (provided you use a tarp), they are more comfortable than on the ground, and you can use it as a covered area and chair for cooking in the rain (or in the sun).

You do need to watch out for losing heat through convection though, so some kind of insulation underneath you (in my case, Climashield HL) is necessary in anything but the hottest temperatures.
The information in this post could make a pretty interesting thread in itself but you've really piqued my interest in getting a hammock instead of a new tent. :sssh:

carrot

Flashaholic
The information in this post could make a pretty interesting thread in itself but you've really piqued my interest in getting a hammock instead of a new tent. :sssh:
You're right. I'll go post a new thread later instead of polluting nbp's great "vs. Wild" thread.

Monocrom, that pinecone method sounds like an interesting one. Never heard of that before.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you took a radio with you.....helping you through the evening. Listening to something spooky on Coast to Coast AM.......

If your not familiar with that radio program it specializes in paranormal subjects.Halloween they call their program 'Ghost to Ghost'.Starts between 11:00 P.M. and 12:00 A.M. and goes til 4:00 A.M.People from all over the world phone in with their scariest stories.

Crawl into your shelter at midnight-turn on the radio-pretend your in the same woods from the Blair Witch Project-and see how much sleep you can get!:devil:

Now that's my idea of fun!

Looking forward to your chapter on "Food".

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but first I'd like to try the "rub two sticks together" methods. There are many variations on this time tested style of starting a fire...
This is a great thread, and I'm looking forward to other installments. I don't want to discourage you in any way, but I've tried and seen two different 'rub two sticks together' methods and I think I would rather eat raw food and freeze than have to do that again. Stick with the firesteel.