NBP vs. Wild

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I've tried and seen two different 'rub two sticks together' methods and I think I would rather eat raw food and freeze than have to do that again. Stick with the firesteel.
That's my feeling as well. I did read a National Geographic article 6-9 months ago on an African tribe that was experienced with this. The author cited a 30 second elapsed time for this, IIRC. Just amazing. Good in a dry climate, maybe not so good for here in Oregon though ... :whistle:

nbp

Flashaholic
This is a great thread, and I'm looking forward to other installments. I don't want to discourage you in any way, but I've tried and seen two different 'rub two sticks together' methods and I think I would rather eat raw food and freeze than have to do that again. Stick with the firesteel.

It may very well come to that. But I will at least try the more primitive methods. People didn't always have firesteels. At the very least, it will be a good arts-and-crafts project and a nice laugh for all of you. :laughing:

If they don't work, then out comes the dry grass and firesteel. :devil:

sabre7

Enlightened
Firesteels are new, but flint and steel is a primitive method that goes way, way back.

Another thread about camping and hammocks, tents, etc. might be a good idea to help keep this thread together and on track.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp: Well done on a good start. I look forward to reading the rest of your escapades.

I've been kind of interested in this sort of thing for a while, but have never done anything about it. I'll get to live vicariously through this thread for a little while.

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry guys, I was unable to get any more projects up for you this week, and now I will be on vacation for a few days, so it may be next week sometime before I can work on anything. I will try to check in though while I am gone, so if anyone is motivated to try out their primitive living/survival skills this weekend, please post what you did for us. I'd love to read about it! :poke: :popcorn: :grin2:

BTW: I will be Charlotte and Raleigh, NC areas, so if you are from around there and can recommend any good flashlight stores, that'd be cool to check out. :huh:

nbp

Flashaholic
Good recall brother! :thumbsup:

I posted to his thread in the GTG subforum.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey everyone, I just added a big chunk to the FIRE section. :thumbsup:
There will be more to come in that section too. Check it out and let me know what you think! :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Great work on the new addition NBP.

I just ordered the mini version of the Light My Fire brand Swedish Firesteel off E-Bay.Might come in handy one day.

Very cool Andreas! It is very easy to toss in a pocket, bag, glove box, etc and can be a lifesaver. When you get it, I'd be curious to hear how you do using to start a fire. Make sure you post back! :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for bumping this up beerwax, I had sort of forgotten about this thread. Looks like a little of the OP regarding fire and some of the replies were lost in the Great Crash. I think I have the additional OP info on my computer somewhere. I will try to get that added back in, and then hopefully get around to the food and water sections at some point now that it is nice outside again. So many hobbies, so little time!

beerwax

Enlightened
dont thank me thank mvyrmnd.

i loved your shelter and the photos thereof. in one minute i have learnt a probablynevertobeused but easytocarryweighsnothing valuable survival skill. cheers

nbp

Flashaholic
Aha! You are right, it was mvyrmnd. Sorry down under brother. ;) ( I think you have been following me around lately. :nana: )

I found the extra part from the fire section that had been lost: using a fire plow. For your reading enjoyment, I plugged it back in. I will try to get back to this to add to the other sections soon. As you may see from my other thread in the Cafe, I have started yet another hobby in homebrewing, and I have been doing a bit with that lately. But the nice weather means I need to get out and work on my primitive living skills! THEN reward myself with a brew, :grin2:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha! You are right, it was mvyrmnd. Sorry down under brother. ;) ( I think you have been following me around lately. :nana: )

I found the extra part from the fire section that had been lost: using a fire plow. For your reading enjoyment, I plugged it back in. I will try to get back to this to add to the other sections soon. As you may see from my other thread in the Cafe, I have started yet another hobby in homebrewing, and I have been doing a bit with that lately. But the nice weather means I need to get out and work on my primitive living skills! THEN reward myself with a brew, :grin2:

I'm not following you. It's just all the smart people end up in the same threads :)

Supply us with an article on how to brew beer in a survival situation, and you will forever be hailed as a god among men!

nbp

Flashaholic
Hehe. Actually that would not be too terribly difficult, people have been brewing beer for thousands of years in what we would consider "survival situations". They called it LIFE! Some grains for flavor, some fermentable sugars, boil it up and leave it outside where naturally occurring yeast suspended in the air will happen upon it, and :poof: you have beer. It might suck, but it'll get you hammered. :crackup:

beerwax

Enlightened
now i understand. brewing is a survival skill. beer is safe to drink unlike water. water can make you really sick. i wouldnt risk it. cheers

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of discussion in the appropriate circles about how beer was the safer alternative in the good old days, simply because it was brought to the boil, making it safe to drink.

Now all I need is to find a good bittering agent that I can grow in my garden, and learn to survive.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not only is it boiled, but the alcohol, pH and other factors mean that no pathogens known to be harmful to people are able to live in beer, making it a safe way to get liquids even where water is not safe.

But this is all really more a discussion for my homebrewing thread. :)