Need a reality check to start flashlight shopping - are my desires reasonable?

efeist

Newly Enlightened
Low post noob here, so be kind. I was already "auto-banned", but Greta sorted me out. :)

A few weeks ago, I picked up a cheap chinese "1600 lumen" (those are chinese lumens, of course) LED light Cree XM-L T6. It was great… for the approximately 30 minutes it lasted. I don't know if it's pining for the fjords, or taking a permanent dirt nap, but it has whetted my appetite to start LED flashlight shopping.

Many unemployed college students have more disposable income than I do, so I'd rather not buy 3-4 lights to find one I really like.. hence the "reality check" question so I can avoid false starts.
I need to start defining what I want so I can winnow down the 143 gazillion different flashlight models out there! I mean, seriously, when I bought my first 3D Maglight, there were like, five different flashlight models in the world… I'm overwhelmed!

Is this a reasonable set of "requirements"?

Form: Flashlight (LED)
Lumen: 800+ (1000+ would be great.. this will be my "general purpose" light to replace my venerable 3D Maglite.)
Size: 8" longish (I liked the form of the cheap chinese paperweight)
Battery: 2x18650 (I have two from the paperweight)
Modes: At least a 'high' and 'low', and more than that is great.
Waterproofedness: Ideally it could stand a "quick dip" caused by butterfingeredness and assisted by gravity.
Adjustable throw/flood (within reason) is desirable.
Endurance (battery life) on "high" should be at least an hour, preferably more.
Not looking for NASA Mars Mission tough, but being able to stand a 4' klutz drop would be nice.

Here's the catch… I mentioned that I'm not exactly rolling in dough… I'd prefer to stay under about $60.

Not necessarily looking for specific brand and model numbers, though I'd be grateful for those…
But mainly, I want to know if this set of specs and price is reasonable to look for, or if I'll have to spend more to get what I want?

Thanks in advance!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a form at the top of the forum that would help people answer your question. There are lights out there that match what you listed so far though. Esp older models on sale.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
The ThruNite TN12 is on sale for $40.

Specification:
- Cree XM-L U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Uses two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion)
- 126mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
- 66gram weight (excluding batteries)
- Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
- Cooper base plate for more efficient heatsinking
- Max output: 705 lumen with more than 1 hours for 2 Cr123A Max runtime:695 Hours
- Firefly: 0.09lumen. 695 hours. low: 30 lumen:65 hours.mid: 95 lumen: 9 hours. max output: 705 lumen. 72 minutes. strobe: 705 lumen. 140 minutes
- Max beam distance:205m
- Impact resistance:1.2m
· Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
· Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation patent
· Temperature control current to avoid the over heat on the surface and protect the driver to be damaged
· Slip-resistant body design
· Removable Stainless steel clips
· Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
· Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
· Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Operation:
Power on/off switch Press the push button half way for momentary on. Press the bush button completely (click) to turn on the flashlights.
The lights will stay on until the push button is pressed fully to turn off.
Mode switch To switch functions: Loosen and tighten the head for next stage From Firefly. Low mid light and strobe.
The TN12 has a safety circuit to protect the driver and the LED from overheating.

buds224

Enlightened
Not a lot of zoomable 18650 lights that I know of, but I hear good things about Sipik (I don't actually own one). I see the SK96 is a close match to what you're asking for. Deal Extreme has them listed at $15.40.

*** I'm hoping others can chime in on the ruggedness of the Sipik. I have no experience with them.

efeist

Newly Enlightened
There is a form at the top of the forum that would help people answer your question. There are lights out there that match what you listed so far though. Esp older models on sale.

Yes, I based my list of requirements on that "form"... the other entries on the form would be "I don't know" or "Don't Care".
I'm early in my light career, so my requirements at this point are broad.

Thank you for the reality check on what I know so far though!

ltsba

Newly Enlightened
you also check the thruntie catapult v3, I think you will like the flashlight

efeist

Newly Enlightened
you also check the thruntie catapult v3, I think you will like the flashlight

Capability wise, it does look very much like what I want... but it's a little more expensive than I had hoped (more than double my hoped-for budget).
I will definitely keep my eyes on that model, and maybe save my pennies... or perhaps sell whatever bodily fluids are bringing good money these days.

Thanks!

Slewflash

Newly Enlightened
You don't need a reality check at all, that kind of output is completely reasonable with those batteries.
I would say the Trustfire 3T6, it's around $35 and has 3 emitters driven mildly to give an OTF value around 1500 lumens. It has an extension tube which allows it to be run off 2*18650 or 3*18650, and with the extension tube attached you can also use 4*AA cells inside, which is what I do. I just chuck 4 eneloops (lsd) in it and leave it alone until I need it, basically like an emergency light.
It's completely waterproof and can act like a club if need be.

Also since you're new, it'd be good to point out the inverse law. Just say you're looking at a 300 lumen light and it lights up a shed with x lux/candela at a distance of y. In order to perceive twice the brightness at the same distance, you need to increase the lumens by 4.
Also another thing to remember: small reflector = not a lot of focus, so mostly floody. wide and deep reflector = more focus, so more throw. And lumens does not equal throw. You can get a flashlight with 300 lumens throw more than 2x further than a light with 2300 lumens, simply because of a bigger reflector.
Rule of thumb: Single emitter means more space in the head for a single reflector which equals good throw. Multi emitter lights usually have to divide the space in the head for multiple reflectors which equal more flood.