Need help with "laser wand" module and AC plug-in controller

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to do a project like this:
http://coldlasertherapy.us/

I have found the same controller as this one for about 1/10 as this unit costs, but I am having trouble finding (because I don't know what to look for) the 635nm 5mW and 808nm 15mW "wands" or modules that look like this and have cords that would plug into something like this controller. Any ideas? I am a complete and total newb and have little to no experience with electronics. I'm hoping you can point me to the exact thing I need where I can buy it, if that's possible. Thanks in advance!

chuck

Newly Enlightened
It looks like it's just a pointer. 635nm is the same wavelength as the standard visible red diode LASER pointer, and 808nm is the standard IR diode. Truthfully, the diodes could both be gotten from a DVD/RW drive, and would probably be stronger than the ones in that device.

Just for reference, I have a keychain LASER pointer that outputs 635nm red light, at a power level of 5mw. That's exactly what the spec for the cold LASER says its output is.

A question for you. What does it do, anyway? And, how does it work? I mean, just shining collimated light on a person's skin is one thing...modulating it in a specific way is quite another. What, precisely, does it do and how does it work?

-- Chuck Knight

Last edited:

Kenom

Enlightened
I'm curious about the same thing. My chiropractor uses one and he's had great results with it. I kept thinking to myself. Hmmm you wanna see output?? my 120mw red would put out "cold" when it's not colimated. Might work better. but of course more power doesn't always mean better. hehe.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
chuck said:
A question for you. What does it do, anyway? And, how does it work? I mean, just shining collimated light on a person's skin is one thing...modulating it in a specific way is quite another. What, precisely, does it do and how does it work?

I have wondered the exact same thing. Any explanation from someone who knows a chiropractor, or is a chiropractor, would be highly appreciated.

Thank you;
DDL

SenKat

Enlightened
I KNOW this could offend folks - but I'll go out on a limb here - I suppose the "treatment" part of this consists of pulsed lasers, and that somehow it makes you fele better ? I would like for someone - anyone to explain how this is remotely possible - I mean, I derive great pleasure from building a laser, and seeing it light up - but I do not think it is assisting my body with producing seratonin levels increase in my body - or is it ? That was the last I heard of the laser stop smoking treatment, anyways - it stimulates your body into producing the same level of seratonin that is produced when you light up a smoke.....so, I have been messing around with lasers out in my smoky workshop (AKA-the garage !) for a while now, and I haven;t slowed my smoking any, so I guess I am a little concerned for others' wallets when it comes to this mystical laser treatment to cure you of smoking.....any explaination will be welcomed !

chuck

Newly Enlightened
Well, assuming it *is* modulated, if we could find out how it's modulated, we could just modify keychain LASERS. It's not hard to make them blink on an off...

Regarding the effectiveness. Even if it's only a placebo effect, a few dollars is an acceptable price for someone to try it. For hundreds, or thousands of dollars, however...it'd BETTER work, for real, at that price level.

I am curious about what it does, precisely...

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. This is the one that gets me...I have a very thick and full head of hair, but my dad's is decidedly thin. He'd probably love this one.

http://therapromeds.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

Kenom

Enlightened
It totally wouldn't suprise me if it was a placebo effect. It absolutely amazes me what the brain can do to the body when it's been tricked into thinking that what is being done to you is beneficial. I've seen case studies done that show a person's dopamein levels increasing as a result of a sugar pill given and being told it was a narcotic. I can get a brochure from the one at my chirophractors office that explains the effect and how it "works"

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
chuck said:
P.S. This is the one that gets me...I have a very thick and full head of hair, but my dad's is decidedly thin. He'd probably love this one.

http://therapromeds.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

ROFLMFAO!! Is this a real product? for $550?? LOL!!!

** WARNING: OFFENSIVE MATERIAL MAY FOLLOW **

I'm sorry, but if you believe a laser can get you your hair back (not you chuck :p), you can come over and get a 20-minute hair-workout FREE! hahaha

** END OFFENSIVE NOTE HERE **

To each his/her own;
DDL

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
[http://www.coldlaser.com/coldlasers.html] :
What is Low Level Laser therapy?

Light or photon energy with the unique property of being able to penetrate up to two inches below the skin surface causing an increase in cellular metabolism with no tissue damage whatsoever.

[http://www.vomtech.com/vetcoldlaser]
This one is about vetrenarian applications, but it's the same concept nonetheless.

Seems as though it is just simply coherent light transferring the energy from the photons to the body. Not sure...

DDL

Kenom

Enlightened
so it just has to be able to penetrate 2 inches of skin? I didn't know I had two inches of skin in one place. if that's the only requirement I've got tons of lasers that are capable of penetrating 2 inches. The next time my wrist hurts from playin with myself too much I'll use a laser to fix it!

SenKat

Enlightened
Errrr-better not do that, Kenom....otherwise you may need a different type of wrist rest....one with pegs in it to hold your wrists still ! ESPECIALLY the reds we are making....uhm, yeah....I don't think that is wise....:crackup:

szpetdoc

Newly Enlightened
Dharmabum, Did you ever find a wand for this LLLT laser? I am also in SE MI and I own one of these coldlasers. I have an 808nm 150mw wand and would like to get a multi module wand with two 808nm IR diodes. What did you find?