Need Night Fishing Recommendations

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you won't be running the light for more than a few minutes if you're just spotting the fish so maybe a 123 cell light might be an option. Maybe a Scorpion or a E1/E2 might be an option. How big of a light are you willing to go? Is the average 2D cell too big?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's wrong with the pt40 stock bulb?? seemed fine to me, almost as much output as my e2e.

i didn't realize it was so bright until i got it, but i don't mind it either. i bought it cause up close my sl20 would "white out" what i was illuminating.

Velcro

Enlightened
I think Nerd means Tec-40 with 3D krypton whitestar mag bulb and NiMH batteries. Right, Nerd?
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I mean has gotten across wrongly, edited my post.

Velcro, right!

Because I find the stock halogen bulb a bit too yellowish, orangish for my liking. Plus I don't think the yellowness can penertrate the water much (if I am wrong, someone correct me)

With the Panasonic 600mah Ni-Cds I have, the brightness drop of rather gradually, until it's down the the last 10 mins of usage did it dim noticebly enough for you to see that brightness level is dropping.

Plus if you over drive the bulb, when the batteries are nearly out, you don't get too yellow a beam because the voltage is still rather high (4 cells x 1 volts = 4 volts, 3 cell bulb = 4.5 volts) As such colour rendition is still very nice.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Boy do you guys make it hard to choose. Flashlight overload!!!!!

For the record, I can live with something a little larger than a Mini-MAG, as long as it has a belt clip. With no pocket clip, it would have to fit into the small sleeve inside my Nite Ize Pock-Its holster. It looks like pocket clip flashlights are hard to come by though.

I could also live with the expensive batteries if I had to, since the flashlight won't get a whole lot of on-time.

Ratso

Enlightened
I am a big Streamlight and UK fan where you are dealing with the outdoors/water. I would highly recommend:

UK 4 AA - brighter than the Tec 40, although it uses a bi-pin so you can't easily change bulbs
UK SL4 - this is not much longer than the 4AA, just a bit fatter, nice tight beam
UK 2L - smaller than Mini Mag, a bit fatter, as bright as the 4AA, has a clip (carabiner type)

Streamlight 2AA Propolymer - not that special, but has a clip, much brighter than Mini Mag
Streamlight 4AA Propolymer - brighter than UK 4 AA, tailcap switch
Streamlight Syclone - it has a LED backup bulb (white, green, or amber) plus a xenon. The beam is not especially good but it should be quite versatile. Has a belt clip

All of these are waterproof to something like 300-500 ft.

The best prices for all of these is Brightguy