Need recommendation for pocket-carry "mule" light.

Stormbringer

Newly Enlightened
I've researched many older threads, but I wanted to ask the members here for suggestions on a small, pocket carry mule light. Basically, something to use at night while taking out the trash or walking around the house (inside or outside) at night. Price isn't an issue. I'm just trying to find something that I may have overlooked, so any suggestions are truly appreciated.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Take the reflector out of one of your dozens of lights,, net cost is 45 seconds of your time

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Zebralight has some nice mule options in headlamps, I have a few and the smaller ones come with head strap as well as pocket clips, so that you can use as a right angle flashlight. :)

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of mule lights and my primary edc is a mule. but for night walk i would recommend a reflector with very wide beam, such as surefire e2e with either led or hotwire drop-in. i definitely need a 10meter range hot spot over a wide spill

Vemice

Enlightened
Second the Peak Eiger. Here is mine; raw aluminum Mule High CRI AAA battery (either primaries or Lithium ions). Pretty much bullet proof.
Comes in single mode or QTC (variable output).
myiJO3tl.jpg

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
The Prometheus Lights Beta Magnetic is a mule and you might still be able to "pre-order" it. I think shipping starts soon. It has a new Yuji high cri led. It looks nice.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar D4v2 is available in mule configuration with 8 LEDs.

You can also get it in high-CRI.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
If you are interested in going with a modded light I can recommend Vinh at Sky Lumen. I have two of his mules that I carry as an EMT. One is a Serph SP6vn with 12 Nichia 219c emitters, the other is a Lumintop FW4Avn with 8 emitters, two each of SST20, 351, 219b, and 219c. Both powered by single 18650's.

nitebrite

Enlightened
If price is not an issue why not get Hanko, Deadwood, Barrel ETC? They are pretty and if you get one with XPL-HI they output over 3000lm. Although on turbo they do get smoking hot. I am not meaning to be a jerk just offering one suggestion.
Nothing other than those type of lights is that small and puts out that kind of light.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector is what threads into the head of the light so you can't do this. There will be no bezel or lens on the light.

Are you sure? I have read about someone doing this exact mod somewhere here on this forum. I also remember people talking about doing reflector swaps on their HDS. Perhaps the construction has changed over time? There is still the RRT01, Sunwayman v11r or Niteye Eye10. With those that can definitely be done. Ive done it myself.

Here is the post I mentioned. This was from 2011:

I noticed that the reflector is removable on the HDS Rotary, making for a VERY wide flood light. Now, I don't see myself going out into the elements with it like this, but I know the SF diffuser fits on the HDS/Novatac lights, and if I could find mine, I would try it, but, I am curious, how does this combo work for a good flood light?

nbp

Flashaholic
Right it does come off but you just have a bare emitter exposed to the elements so it's not a practical solution by any means.

nbp

Flashaholic

If you want the best quality Mule that is actually designed to be a mule and money isn't a concern then McGizmo's Ti Mule is by far the best option.

Strintguy

Enlightened

I think someone used a Dremel tool and cut the reflector out to make an HDS mule.
Diffusion film on the lens of any light is another simple option.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Re: Need recommendation for pocket-carry "mule" light.

My most-used light is by Quiqlite. Has a big rotating clip for belt or pocket (turn 90 deg on shirt placket), magnet, 3 brightness modes, and it will illuminate your next two steps ahead. USB charging. Versions with red, blue.