need sharply cut off beam pattern rather than bright throw

LGT

Enlightened
The dereelight looks promising...just need to research beam pattern.

As for the mini-mag, we're too much of modern-light-snobs to do that. :)
I kind of felt like a slap would be coming from that suggestion. But I figured throwing it out there would be interesting just to see the reply.

cityevader

Enlightened
hehehe, I was gentle with the mini-mag response.

The Dereelight mentioned isn't aspheric, and seems like a typical floody xpg beam pattern.

I had a PreonII and again, typical xpg type beam. A bit floody.

The DX 103914 looks interesting. It kinda seems like it might be aspheric...is it? The "snoot" looks like what my bro tried with rolled up paper...but if it's also aspheric, might be good!

Norm

Retired Administrator
.The DX 103914 looks interesting. It kinda seems like it might be aspheric...is it? The "snoot" looks like what my bro tried with rolled up paper...but if it's also aspheric, might be good!

If you look closely at the front on picture it looks like a normal reflector, the nose will cut down the unwanted spill.

Norm

cityevader

Enlightened
Does anyone have a pic and a clear description of how to visually spot the difference between the original Inova X1 and newer versions? Google doesn't really differentiate.

kpeevyhouse

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses to my inquiry. You guys are awesome! I will certainly look into the suggestions made. However, is there any way to see what the projected beams look like? I've seen pictures where they point the flashlight at a wall from a few feet away so that you can see the light patterns. Is there some kind of resource out there that shows this for a bunch of different flashlights? Some units that I've looked into do show such a demo, but some units don't show it.

My previous post (#7) might have gotten overlooked. I'm being "moderated" until I have a post greater than 3, and it took all day to have my post appear. (to whoever is doing the moderating: I'm not ragging on you... just doing some clarifying :D)

One thing I want to clarify is how I use the light. I'm checking to see if the patients are breathing. The most effective way that I've found is not to have a bunch of general illumination in the room. It's easier to cast a brighter, narrower bean at a slightly downward angle from the corner of the bed. It's easier to see the motion of the shadows cast by the rising and falling chest. It's harder to see the actual motion of the person's chest. That's why I was asking about a flashlight that has a narrow beam with a hard edge... because I'm pointing it at a low angle from the foot of the bed toward the patient's face, and I don't want ANY light to go above the person's neck.

Thanks for all your input!

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
How about the Romisen RC-29?
Romisen makes some inexpensive lights with lenses, providing a nice clean cut-off. There are higher powered lithium versions, but if he doesn't want the power, I'd recommend this:
ShiningBeam Romisen RC-29 II R5 Flood-to-Throw LED Flashlight
For 20USD shipped, he could have a light that runs on a AA battery with the adjustable focus lense.

(As far as the Inova question- the original version had an optic on the front so it looks like a magnification of the LED. The new version has a "normal looking" shiny silver reflector around an unmagnified LED. I don't have a picture but they look as different as any optic vs. reflector lights. You aren't likely to come across an original version any more unless an individual is explicitly describing it as the original. Well, also greenlight probably hunted them all down already for his sweet glow in the dark paint mods. :) )

Link removed, replaced by description. Please read the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

kpeevyhouse

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I just ordered the 103914 from DealExtreme. I'll post an update to let y'all know how well it works for me. I'm hoping that it's good enough to light up what I need without waking up my patients. :)

cityevader

Enlightened
It's been two months now, so you should have surely received your DX package by now?
How does your "uncircumcised" light working for you?