Needed: less modes. ON AND OFF -- THAT'S ALL I NEED.

delus

Newly Enlightened
ON AND OFF -- THAT'S ALL I NEED.

I've been through three different brands/models trying to find the exact light for me.
The last one is a Nitecore MH2C. I love many things about this light.
It's about the perfect size. 150mm long and 25mm wide, it fits perfectly in the side (thigh) pocket of the pants I wear everyday at work.
It's very bright. I love the easy USB charging. Battery lasts good and long.
But give the damn thing a little tap on the side and it jumps into strobe mode. Then i gotta click it three times, and when i set it back down, it jumps into strobe again. The only way to insure it stays on all the time is to leave it in "turbo" mode at all times. Now I think turbo mode has overheated it, and it's no longer working at all, at 8 months old.
I'm not a cop and could do without the tactical options.

Could someone please recommend a light that is not over 25mm wide (meaning no flared lens head), is rechargeable, and has two modes.
ON AND OFF -- THAT'S ALL I NEED. I really don't even need a high/low setting.

scout24

Flashaholic
You don't mention a budget, but I'd bet McGizmo could build you a Haiku with a single mode driver that would run on RCR's. Or Sundrop XRU. Or Mule. Depends what your preferred beam profile is. Tana could probably do the same kind of work on an E1e or E2e Surefire head for you. Unfortunately, the move seems to be away from simple in production lights. Oh, perhaps call the good folks at Malkoff, down in Alabama and explain what you want. Maybe they can build an MDC that meets your needs. Welcome to CPF, by the way. McGizmo can be found in the custom builders subforum, Tana's work can be found in the Custom Buy Sell Trade area. :) There are several threads in LED Lights that look at Malkoff's offerings and their website can be found looking up Malkoff Devices, where you can find their phone number.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just to add to scout24 suggestions, datiLED also occasionally releases a batch of single-mode Aleph-compatible light engines ... :)

Dubois

Enlightened
Well, you could do worse than the Thrunite TN12. Sure, it has four modes, but it is set by twisting the head, and also has memory, so you could set it once to the level you like (high) and then just forget changing modes - you then have an on-off tail clicky. It's 125mm long by 25mm. It was on sale at Thrunite store for silly money recently ($30), and worth every penny imho.

ASheep

Enlightened
If it doesn't need to be super bright, a Surefire E2e with a Lumens Factory EO-E1R bulb will give you over an hour of ~90 lumens on a 17670 cell. I use mine all the time, it's as simple as you can get! I'm a huge fan of Incandescents, they don't get much love anymore because LEDs have far better runtimes. If runtime is what you're after, you can get single mode LED modules for the E1e/E2e, available from various vendors on this website.

If you want a slightly bigger light, a Surefire 6P or clone (Solarforce etc) would be good. You could get whatever dropin you wanted, from low low lumens up to stupidly high, and as many or as few modes as you want. Nailbender (customlites) sells a particularly good XM-L single mode here on CPF.

In the Higher $$ range, take Scout24s advice and go for a McGizmo or Malkoff MDC. DatiLED used to sell Single mode light engines for McGizmo lights here on the forum, I'm sure you could pick one of those up if your budget allows.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Alex

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens Tactical lights are 2 mode, you pick the levels and the only way you change level is by tightening or loosening the head.

So, once you program it, if you don't twist the head, it's a single mode light with just ON and OFF.

delus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. Your suggestions did help. I spent twelve solid hours researching lights. I looked very closely at Malkoff, and Mcgizmo.

Dubois! How yinz doin? I used to date a girl from up there. heheh. The Thrunite TN12 is indeed the exact dimensions I mentioned.

In the end I went with a very expensive 2-cell Elzetta with the AVS 650-lumen head. The switch has high-low-off.
As i'm in the construction industry i am strongly drawn towards a light that says it's "The Toughest Flashlight on the Planet." I think it will perform up to it's reputation.
I get a lot of construction newsletters/magazines and use the web to shop, and can't believe i had never heard of any of these ultra-tough flashlights before.
With the smaller size and greater brightness available in today's LED lights, more of us are carrying lights than ever before.
I think it's a big mistake they don't market these lights to guys like me, while focusing on tactical applications. I guess they are small and new, don't have a ton of money for ads.
That's a great tag-line. "Elzetta: The Toughest Flashlights on the Planet." It really sticks in the mind. You don't need a million ads for that to work.

Rechargeable batteries should be pushed on people too.They work from every angle.They save money, work as good or better, and save the environment.
How many regular batteries would I throw away before this flashlight dies? a couple thousand? I bought four batteries and they should last ten years. Nothing else makes sense.
They should tax disposable batteries out of existance.
Even if you think you need 20 sets of batteries for an extended wilderness trip, you don't. Get a solar charger.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Glad you found a torch that'll work for you .... The Elzetta is tough, indeed :)

By the way, primary batteries do still have certain advantages over rechargeables. They work better at wider temperature ranges, are more durable to physical jolts, hold a charge during storage much longer, etc, etc.

Rechargeable cells have their role, too, but require special care during use, to ensure safety. Not everyone wants to have to monitor their batteries with a voltmeter, worry about protection circuits, fire-safe charging locations, and such.

Important to preserve a variety of options, for a variety of purposes ;)

Last edited:

stienke

Enlightened
Too late but I would say Crelant P30 or P40 , on / off and no switch that can brake , but your choice is very good though!

delus

Newly Enlightened
Heh, I didn't even know that the high output head had just become available. Am I going to be the first person on the forum to get one?
Looks like the low profile (1.25 inch) bezel will never be an option when combined with the high output head. You're stuck at 1.45 inch.
They say they will soon have a wide-dispersion (flood) lens with this head.