New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

ypsifly

Enlightened
Re: New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

Yeah that is made exactly like my Dorcy 3.85 watt. Not a bad light, but the contact point on mine got dirty after not much use which caused some flickering issues. Was fine after a little cleaning.

I do like that it is a thrower, but the tint is a little too blue for my liking. I hope they addressed that by now.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened
Re: New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

im a new guy.
anyway our local kmart is closing and everything is 30% off so i bought this light and am amazed by it! its light, small enought to carry, 2 settings but the low setting is very very close to the high setting. this is the brightest light ive owned so far. before this i owned a light i bought from mac tools. im guessing that was a dorcey as well.
the one thing about this light is that the high setting is 170 and the low is 85. not 45 like stated.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

C would be too wide. 2x18500's would probably be the best option, and only one that would make the light worth while IMO.

im new. what are those and can i buy them at any local store? or online? is there a link to them, id like to try it with this light

Marduke

Flashaholic

im new. what are those and can i buy them at any local store? or online? is there a link to them, id like to try it with this light

You would be hard pressed to find them at even a battery specialty store. You can buy from of DealExtreme, but as far as I know they are not tested with this light yet, and I would wait until a more experienced modder/member tries it first to see if it's safe.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll bet that those two 3AAA carriers are in parallel and that together they direct-drive the K2. Corollary to that would be that two 18500s would fry the LED.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

is there a brighter and better light for that kind of $$$??

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll bet that those two 3AAA carriers are in parallel and that together they direct-drive the K2. Corollary to that would be that two 18500s would fry the LED.

If so, an 18650 w/spacer would work well.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

Sure, almost everything.

where i live we only have chain stores. everyplace sells all the same lights. i was wondering for the $30 i paid for this light...what can i buy for $30 that is in a local store that is better?

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened

It looks like the same light costco is selling in a double pack at $29.99ish, the second light is a shorter 3xaa version.

Marduke

Flashaholic

where i live we only have chain stores. everyplace sells all the same lights. i was wondering for the $30 i paid for this light...what can i buy for $30 that is in a local store that is better?

For one, multiple AAA lights are the scourge of the flashlight universe. No knowledgeable flashaholic would buy one unless they plan to convert it to Li-Ion.

Most good lights don't come from chain stores. Online stores have better prices, better lights, often better service, and free shipping.

For example, for about $3 more than the Dorcy, you can get the Fenix E20, which is head and shoulders better in quality and performance.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

not fair. we dont have a costco in upstate ny

sears, walmart,kmart,****s,gander mountin and target is all.

maybe i should try the police surplus store

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

For one, multiple AAA lights are the scourge of the flashlight universe. No knowledgeable flashaholic would buy one unless they plan to convert it to Li-Ion.

Most good lights don't come from chain stores. Online stores have better prices, better lights, often better service, and free shipping.

For example, for about $3 more than the Dorcy, you can get the Fenix E20, which is head and shoulders better in quality and performance.

someone here told me to buy an inova or a g2? said for a few $ more u can get about 220 crisp lumens

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just happened to go to the local Sears store today. I saw this 170 Lumen Craftsman on the wall under a sign that said $29.95. Took it to the register and the salesman rang it up and it came out $39.95. I said the price on the wall is $29.95, he came and saw it, 3 more units sitting there. There was no hook with a $39.95 sign, said "you get it at that price". So I took one home.

Not that I need this kind of light but I do have a lot of unused NimH AAA's sitting around. So I got it. I also got the new Duracell True Beam focusable 3XAAA light at the hardware store yesterday.

Not impressed with either one. But in regards to this unit being 170 lumens, I don't think its close. I have a lot of lights to compare to of various known measured lumen power output on the Integration Sphere at work.

My Malkoff M60L which is in the 135 Lumen range is brighter. the Inova T5 (2007) that I measured at 95 lumens is dimmer. Beam pattern is not bad.

I will take it to work next week and get a real lumens reading with both the alkalines and NiMH batteries and report back on this and the Duracell unit.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just bought a new Canon Powershot SX10IS mega featured digital camera. Obviously needed to test it out.
Set up a few of my close personal friends in the garage and its beam shot city. All pics are done at the same manual exposure level, which I forgot to write down. It was some where around F4.5 and 0.8 second neighborhood. Camera is about 20 feet from the wall but zoomed in, and then the images are cropped vertically.

I will say that the Craftsman "170 lumen" light is not bad to use, but it is ridiculous to do a battery change. Its going to make a good in the car flashlight.

duracelltbnrwgf0.jpg

This is the Duracell Trubeam in narrow focus mode using the 3 AAA batteries it came with.

duracelltbwiderp4.jpg

This is the Duracell Trubeam in wide focus mode using 3 AAA Rayovac batteries it came with.

crftmnhisb2.jpg

This is the new Craftsman "170Lm" 6 AAA flashlight with the alkalines it came with on High mode.

crftmnlwlb7.jpg

This is the same Craftsman set to Low mode.

inova07t5yc2.jpg

This is the 2007 model Inova T5 that I have previously measured at 95 Lumens previously at work.

fenixp2dturboxg0.jpg

Fenix P2D rated at 135 lumen with 1 SureFire CR123 Battery in "turbo" mode.

but wait, there's more. No good comparison would excluse Malkoff's

malkoffm60lhz0.jpg

This the Malkoff M60L (low) in a Sure Fire 6P with 2 not primary batteries.

malkoffm60fea4.jpg

And of course the unfair comparison, the Malkoff M60F flood (not the low power one, which is on its way to my mailbox). This was in a Solarforce host running on 2X17500. :D :D :D

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow people here are sure harsh when it comes to multiple AAA flashlights. To be fair, a lot of them are still quite functional and do what most people need them for. I've been a flashaholic from the get go and among my many early purchases were 3AAA flashlights and one of my favorites still remains to be the 3AAA powered Coast Hokus Focus LED Lenser...a flashlight many flashaholics have purchased a SSCP4 modified version of here. To put in from another perspective, how can you be a true "flashaholic" and not like ALL kinds of flashlights? That's the way I look at it, so if I wanted to be snooty about it I'd say you wouldn't be considered a true flashaholic if you only like certain specific types of flashlights. Anyway, I am not trying to be argumentative here, I just find it annoying how people here have been overly harsh on criticizing multiple AAA flashlights...sure they're not an ideal battery configuration to have, but certainly nowhere near as bad as some would make it sound.

Back to this flashlight, it's obvious why Dorcy sticks to this format of flashlight as direct drive is easier/cheaper to manufactur and AAA batteries are extremely common...making them a right fit to sell at brick and mortor chain stores...a good fit for non flashaholics/everyday people who shop these stores. Heck, I can't help it to always browse the flashlight section everytime I go to Target or Walmart just to see if companies like Dorcy have come out with anything new...call it the flashaholic in me.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gee Marduke, That's just a little harsh even for a say it like it is guy like me. Some people are on a low budget but still must have new flashlights to play with and test. Cut the guy a little slack.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Every multi-AAA Dorcy I've owned was DD and a real WOW:drool: performer with fresh cells. After 5 minutes though the output dropped in half:(. I don't think I could ever openly recommend anything Dorcy thats 3 or 6 AAA. Not till' they release a half decent DC circuit, which this light could have... test results could validate this.

I've never had a Dorcy light fail however. So, it would probably make a great glove-box beater.

Sorry to spoil it, but I think that light is over-priced at $39. TOP Stryker Xenon is $24 at Frys, drop in a DX11836 (with some mods) for $13 and you're humming along in the 160 Lumen ballpark.

I also think the Fenix 2AA is a much better light for the $$.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Every multi-AAA Dorcy I've owned was DD and a real WOW:drool: performer with fresh cells. After 5 minutes though the output dropped in half:(. I don't think I could ever openly recommend anything Dorcy thats 3 or 6 AAA. Not till' they release a half decent DC circuit, which this light could have... test results could validate this.

I've never had a Dorcy light fail however. So, it would probably make a great glove-box beater.

Sorry to spoil it, but I think that light is over-priced at $39. TOP Stryker Xenon is $24 at Frys, drop in a DX11836 (with some mods) for $13 and you're humming along in the 160 Lumen ballpark.

I also think the Fenix 2AA is a much better light for the $$.

Yeah, I won't argue with you there...these direct drive LED flashlights sold at the chain stores are overprices. I guess they think that everyday people think they're "high tech" and are for the most part willing to pay the inflated prices for them. These flashlights are only actually worth buying when the stores put them on clearance.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART!

Smells like a Dorcy re-brand of some sort.

That's exactly what it is. Dorcy makes a handful of their lights for Craftsman. The only difference is usually the name stamped on the light.