New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

IMHO theres no really good reason to pay that much for an inferior product available B&M. CPF retailers are FAR better with their customer service than many retail stores (IMHO). Lighthound, batteryjunction, fenix-store, 4Sevens, Shiningbeam...etc... These www retailers are run by fellow CPF fanatics just like you and me. They Understand what the typical CPF'er desires in terms of customer service and support.

The more i think about it... dam $39 is a rip off for that light. My BNIB 6P was $43 shipped on ebay. Lighthound sells Solarforce hosts for $24, drop in a DX module of your choice and stock up on primaries. Cabelas has the XPG-knife deal for $29 (IIRC). That'll get you a host + blade for $29, add a DX drop in if you must go with LED.

I don't understand the fascination the general public has with multi-AAA lights. CR123 lights will blow them away from a brightness standpoint, a decently regulated 2AA can run longer with just as much Lumen output, and manufacturers generally regulate either better than most AAA lights.
I could go on and on... I'll shut up now:sssh:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: New 170 lumen Craftsman Flashlight at K-MART! "PICS ADDED with Revised Details!"

The more i think about it... dam $39 is a rip off for that light....

I could go on and on...

For the average Joe, buying a light off the internet is not something they'd consider doing. This light is clearly not meant for us. Considering the selection of lights at K-Mart, this particular model is one of the better ones found there.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO theres no really good reason to pay that much for an inferior product available B&M. CPF retailers are FAR better with their customer service than many retail stores (IMHO). Lighthound, batteryjunction, fenix-store, 4Sevens, Shiningbeam...etc... These www retailers are run by fellow CPF fanatics just like you and me. They Understand what the typical CPF'er desires in terms of customer service and support.

The more i think about it... dam $39 is a rip off for that light. My BNIB 6P was $43 shipped on ebay. Lighthound sells Solarforce hosts for $24, drop in a DX module of your choice and stock up on primaries. Cabelas has the XPG-knife deal for $29 (IIRC). That'll get you a host + blade for $29, add a DX drop in if you must go with LED.

I don't understand the fascination the general public has with multi-AAA lights. CR123 lights will blow them away from a brightness standpoint, a decently regulated 2AA can run longer with just as much Lumen output, and manufacturers generally regulate either better than most AAA lights.
I could go on and on... I'll shut up now:sssh:

Well I was just trying to defend the multi-AAA flashlight format in general and of course you can find much lower priced ones outside of chain stores if they're your thing. I don't recall paying full price for my early ones as I always either caught them on clearance or a real cheap deal. They are way overpriced to us flashaholics, but sadly the general public who shop at these stores don't know any better so they end up keeping companies like Dorcy in business with little motivation for price change or technology advancement in their products.

fastfoci

Newly Enlightened

ik this is vey random but being that i bought this light and i would like to buy a much better light..... how are lumens measured? jw how they get the readings on lights.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actual measured lumens from the Integration Sphere system at work:

Craftsman "170" Lumen flashlight 6 AAA Alkalines
150 lumens on high 89 lumens on low.

with NiMH 133 lumens on high 74 lm on low.

that is what direct drive does for you, the lower voltage is a lower output.
Of course once alkaline batteries sag it would drop lower than this faster. NiMH would start out at a lower reading but hold it longer.

The New Duracell Trubeam 3AAA adjustable focus flashlight
With alkalines 74 lm wide focus, 64 lm narrow focus.

with NiMH 64 lumens wide focus, 60 lumens narrow focus.

The way the optic collects light as it moves back and forth in front of the LED versus what's left to bounce off the reflector varies.

This flashlight was rated at 80 lumens on the package. If those are emitter lumens that's not a bad number.

Both are close to what I expected.

I don't do runtime testing. not worth my time, also I don't have a lux meter to have it sit there and run with to measure the drop in output as a function of time.

Point is I am guessing both of these would drop fairly linearly and immediately with alkaline batteries with direct drive.

Last edited:

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened

They are way overpriced to us flashaholics, but sadly the general public who shop at these stores don't know any better so they end up keeping companies like Dorcy in business with little motivation for price change or technology advancement in their products.

This is the truth and I admit that I am fairly ignorant with flashlight tech, but I am but a newbie and slowly learning what constitutes the best of the best & where to get that. Also I am a young adult who is rather impatient as far as ordering for the internet.

I the average Joe was at k-mart and just so happened to see this slick black piece of steel that said Craftsmen 170 lumens. Now when I think of Craftsman I think quality, lifetime warranty, a product that has high quality behind the name. I'm thinking 170 lumens, gawd damn that must be bright! I was able to hold the light in my hand not look at it through a computer screen & thought hell yeah worst comes to worst I can return it. Which I can until 12/30/08 according to the receipt. When I turned the light on I was astounded with the brightness, it was the most powerful beam I had ever laid my eyes on.

I knew posting this would get immediate criticisms and flaming remarks, but have any of these folks bought or owned a current brick&mortar AAA flashlight to base from? Obviously not or again since they know they suck so much. To each his own fellows, There are a zillion threads on surefire, fenix, malkoff, inova, etc. Now there's one maybe the last on a Craftsmen/dorcy which I own and few others do.

With that said, sadly Im pissed off with this light for several reasons as I am a member of an association who prizes themselves on knowing and having the best of the best. Just like it was when I realized wrestling was fake I am equally depressed to find craftsmen is fake and uses rebrands as its own name, Oh I hang my head low thinking I bought a badass American high-powered light.. Also I realized I paid way too damn much for it when there are better models for cheaper prices. So I appreciate the criticisms that actually lay fact and reason behind them. I think the negative replies with no credibility behind them are rather ignorant themselves because you haven't given me factual reason for your opinion.

Just my two cence from a country boy,

P.S. ordered a M60 for my 6PL Saturday and just read on my malkoff account that it has been shipped yesterday. Oh I can't wait especially when I thought the craftsmen was bright! Appreciate all the input guys & if it wasn't for CPF I would of never known what a Surefire 6P or a Malkoff was. I now soon to own both!

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe that it is. Don't confuse candlepower with Lux.

Strange as it may seem, there is no direct conversion from lumens (radiance of the source) to the Lux spot readings. I simply measure lumens directly to end all arguments as to which has more output whenever I can get them into the sphere.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Sorry if I came across as a tad harsh... it was my honest opinion and I did not mean it to be inflammatory in any way. I merely wanted to express my opinions about unregulated multi-AAA lights and show that for $39... there are better values out there (IMHO).

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast

To put in from another perspective, how can you be a true "flashaholic" and not like ALL kinds of flashlights? I'd say you wouldn't be considered a true flashaholic if you only like certain specific types of flashlights.

I see your point. An alcoholic can enjoy the taste of fine spirits, but Nyquil will do in a pinch. :drunk:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been following this from the start, and I'd just like to add another perspective. First, I don't seek out any more 3xAAA, or in this case 6xAAA configurations, and have modded some that I own to Li-Ion, with pleasing results. But:

This light is essentially a Sam's Club Element light on steroids. That light (I have 4) was very well received, and some still find it very usefull. Some did slam it for rapid dimming on alkalines, but I never ran mine on alkalines from the start, NiMH's give it a more steady output similar to a regulated light. I also have a Dorcy headlight that uses the same carrier, and it is one of the best beams I have in a headlamp, I use it on my bike helmet. Both lights were easy Seoul mods, and that keeps their performance in the ball park with current offerings. Battery mods are tough on these because the negative pick-up is in the form of a ring around the front of the carrier, with a plunger in the center, so the tailcap won't pick up the negative from a single Li-Ion. There are ways, the easiest is for the headlamp on a helmet, where I can drill in and tap an empty carrier with wires and mount a remote Li-Ion pack on the back of the helmet, which improves balance. Not sure if the 6xAAA carrier uses the same plunger-and-ring type of contact.

Anyway, just trying to point out that in the past there have been some pretty popular 3xAAA lights, and they have not gotten any worse, we are just a bit spoiled by some of the many alternatives we have available now. I also find it interesting that some of the most popular headlamps (i.e. Eos) are 3xAAA, although without the holder.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I also find it interesting that some of the most popular headlamps (i.e. Eos) are 3xAAA, although without the holder.

That's because you have to run a headlamp direct drive unless you want brain cancer, or shield the EMF. Either way, options #2 and #3 are big $$$

BMF

Enlightened

This Craftsman light is on sale now for today and tomorrow at $24.99 either in store or online/online with pick-up in store. At regular price $39.99 it's not a good deal but for $24.99 it's pretty warm even with 6 x AAA style.

Edit: At SEARS.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am quite doubtful about a 6xAAA flashlight, especially when the brightness isn't better than 170 lumens. There are some 2 and 4AA lights available today within that brightness range.
But it can be good for those who want to use recheargable batteries and only have cheap chargers who make the demand of charging in pair. This is a problem with 3AAA lights. But that also is doubtful; these chargers use to be for 2 cells at the same time and it would be to charge the cells in 3 rounds, or having 3 cheap chargers...

Regards, Patric

darknessemitter

Enlightened

That's because you have to run a headlamp direct drive unless you want brain cancer, or shield the EMF. Either way, options #2 and #3 are big $$$

Whoa, seriously??? Like how severe is the risk, and how much usage is considered too much? Do you know of any studies on this? :eek:

BMF

Enlightened

I am quite doubtful about a 6xAAA flashlight, especially when the brightness isn't better than 170 lumens. There are some 2 and 4AA lights available today within that brightness range.
But it can be good for those who want to use recheargable batteries and only have cheap chargers who make the demand of charging in pair. This is a problem with 3AAA lights. But that also is doubtful; these chargers use to be for 2 cells at the same time and it would be to charge the cells in 3 rounds, or having 3 cheap chargers...

Regards, Patric

You can always use Li-ion batteries:thumbsup:

I'm not sure about flashlight at Sears under Craftsman name: is it a lifetime warranty? If so this sale is a little better than warm.

ChargingRhino

Newly Enlightened

I bought this light yesterday at the local Big K. I'm lucky my neighbors didn't call the police last night as I was illuminating my entire back yard (about 60x125') from my porch! This is one of the best off-the-shelf units I have owned - not that I have bought a lot of lights.

The battery carriage (assembly holding the 6-AAAs) seems to place the batteries in a series/parallel combination, giving it an effective 7.2 volts with fresh batteries (we never really see 1.5 volts out of alkalines, right?). The barrel's inner diameter is a touch too small to fit a C cell, and the carriage is a little bit taller than two Cs stacked on one another. I don't claim to be able to make heads and tails of the specifications, but the light came with six standard Energizer AAAs and their data sheet can be found at http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E92.pdf.

I have enjoyed many of the jayandersons youtube videos and hope to find plenty of time to browse these forums. With all that said, any suggestions on how to make this bad boy even badder? It's just the right size for handheld, but too large for the rail of my pistol, so I'm willing to consider some modding . . . TIA!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

i work at sears, and will tell you this, sears and craftsman dont make anything... they rebrand good quality stuff, our hand tools are anderson, which makes snap on and matco, our power tools are dewalt, porter cable, and dremel, and out lawn equip is husqvarna, poulan, and bobcat, none of these companies are junk most are considered to be the better stuff, and heres what sears/craftsman does, we service and warranty the stuff, that dorcy light has a warranty that you dont have to mail the light off to take advantage of, all you have to do is go to sears and we give you another without question. beat that....

rockz4532

Enlightened

where i live we only have chain stores. everyplace sells all the same lights. i was wondering for the $30 i paid for this light...what can i buy for $30 that is in a local store that is better?
You wont be able to find much better for $30 locally. Try online, they have a much wider selection.

gsxrac

Enlightened

Yep a Dorcy for sure. I bought a 3W Dorcy about 2+ years ago (when I was playing in the mud EVERY day) and it was the first single emitter "digital" LED Id ever owned or held and thats what got me into "high end" lights. I had a few of the multiple LED lights before that and they NEVER impressed me. From there I bought a couple Coast lights and then 2 or 3 Streamlights and as soon as the LED Mag hit the marketI bought one at 2 in the morning at Wal-Mart and then graduated to my SF 6PL and found this forum and then started modding my lights and purchased my premium M20 Warrior =)

Long story short I pretty much hated LED's a few years back but my buddy told me I should buy that 3W Dorcy and ever since then ive only bought one incan ;)