NEW 9P TODAY

lampare

Newly Enlightened
Happy with the throw, not happy with the beam shape not a perfect circle like the beam shots you see here on CPF is this normal? Do I have to try different lamps till I get a good beam circle or am I being fussy?

CLHC

Flashaholic
On my newer LA it comes out appearing that way. On the older (original w/SF.9P) LAs I had it was not.

For me, it doesn't matter much, since I'm not using it to spotlight Navajo White painted walls with it, but for outdoors use.

I think that if you're not happy with the beam pattern, you can call SureFire and explain to them that you're not contented with its beam shape. I believe they will respect your wishes and send you a replacement one.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
One great advantage of the Surefire 9P is that you have many choices in a lamp, from Surefire and other brands. You can choose xenon lamp assemblies from G&P, Wolf Eyes, Pila, and Pathfinder; and 3W or 5W LED modules from G&P, Turbo, and--what's that company called? Oh, yes: Surefire.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
When I got my M3, I was surprised with the different shape of the beam as well. At first I was a little disappointed (when pointing at a wall etc) but in normal use it doesn't in my opinion affect its function at all.

I do have a 9p as well, its bright, more compact and is more pocketable than my m3 which is what I got it for :) If you really do value its roundness in shining it at walls etc maybe someone can advise what type of variance there are in the p90 and p91 bulbs.

I am fairly confident that the beams for the M3 are generally meant to be more oval than round, and to be honest when I got my 9p a couple of months ago I haven't noticed whether it is round or oval. I'll check it tonight though...

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings Lightemup!

Interesting that you've mentioned your SF.M3's light as being oval in appearance. The patterning on mine is—round. But anyhou, I'm guessing that it'll vary from one LA to LA.

Enjoy! :wave:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi CHC :)

Maybe it does come down to general variance then? I do vaguely remember though Al (size15) telling me that the M3 was generally a more oval beam. Perhaps others will tell us what theirs is? I'm using the high output assembly in my m3 and 9p, the model number escapes me at the moment, oh well ;)

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's okay, since I'm with you on that I'm not using this "tool" to "hunt" flat walls. . .

Now what would bother me is if it produced a beam pattern as a stock Maglite, which it doesn't.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Bulb filaments are not point-sources (dots) - they are bars.
A good reflector & bulb combination will maximise collection of as much of the light as possible from the filament. What SureFire tend to do is collect the light from the ends of the filament as well as from in the centre. More efficient. More difficult to manufacturer also but that's one of the things SureFire aren't afraid of.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
The shape on mine is relatively round but it does have a lot of spill. I think it is supposed to. Thats one of the things I like about it. That HOLA lights up everything in front of me.

Timson

Enlightened
My P91 lamp has a distinctly oval beam......Real world use - You don't notice.

My M3 HOLA is pretty much round - just slightly oval.

I'd say you have a completely normal Lamp assembly.
If you must have a round beam - Get a G&P lamp.

Tim.

Kershaw

Enlightened
All my surefire lamp assemblies have the football shaped beam except my 6p with has a round beam and a perfect hotspot, guess its kinda like the luxeon lottery with SF LAs.

carrot

Flashaholic
I was under the impression that the P60 was the oddball in the Surefire lineup for P-series bulbs, that it's the only one with a perfectly round hotspot.

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
The P60 in my 6P projects an oval beam, but another P60 I've used has a round beam.