• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Aleph Proto & reflector comments

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez Don, This project just keeps getting better and better! I hope you will be offering a clip that works with these too. It just screams to be carried!

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to have a 2x123 5W with 38mm reflector. With a Fire~Fly II, VIP, and Blackbird, I need another 1x123 3W like I need a hole in the head. Also, I can tell my wife, "No, no. This one really is different." But it wasn't clear to me whether the 5W will be offered as turnkey.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jtice, thanks. If you look at the tail cap and try it, I think you will find that its edges cause no ill effect. I prefer the "sharper" exterior edges at both ends of the light due to their function in aiding for a good platform to stand on, when the light is set down. The down side is potential chipping of the plating but in terms of ergonmics, I see no significant loss. It would be nice to have a more radiused edge within the guard to apease perception if not actual function but with the 1/4"x20 threaded hole as close to the edge as it is, this is not really viable. I really try to let the function dictate the form on these parts because the function is more important to me and I think I understand it better. There is always compromise involved and in trying to keep these parts adaptable and compatible with rest of the E series components, there are certain details which are less than optimal, IMHO. I think I am a modder at heart and the ability for the ES to be hosted in a SF E bezel with 17 mm optic or reflector was important to me. This feature has no bearing on function and provides no value when the ES is used in the Aleph heads. The ES could have been better designed if it were solely intended for use in some heads designed specifically around it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

As far as a pocket clip goes. IMHO, the only pocket clip worth considering is a titanium one due to its modulus of elasticicity and ability to perform without permanant deformation. I don't care for the spring steels because of their propensity to corrode at the beach! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif Since I am a tab and/or tether proponent, the pocket clip is down the list of priorities and given the terible lack of economies of scale in these limited production runs, a good clip is far from trivial! I have not given up on this but it has not been at the top of the list either.

When I first joined CPF, I got caught up in the new breaking LED technologies and moding lights as well as creating one offs. There was a building pressure though via E-mails and posts to make some of these ideas and parts available to others; showing and sharing the idea was not enough. Certainly there is an ego gratification and satisfaction in showing, "look what I did" but more important and hopefuly satisfying is going beyond this to the point that one can actually share the device and not just the image. I have moved away from the labor intensive and exciting one offs and into a different realm where I have tried to focus on something that not only can I build it but hopefully get more made and available to my friends who are also caught up in this goofy interest! I would like nothing more than to just design, experiment and prototype. Unfortunately the reality of expenses and bills preclude such a dream. I still get E-mails from folks who have looked at my site and want me to build them one of my creations which probably has a *real* value of say $50 yet would take me a day to make and have material costs of say $30. If I were to agree to these requests, I would get bored pretty dang fast and find myself on the street ultimately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Man,I swear I started this with a point in mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Edit: Now I remember! I have a couple ideas for a Ti clip that I haven't done yet and part of me says don't do it because once I show it, assuming it will function as I anticipate, I will be inundated with "I want mine with a clip please." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Don, I agree, I like function to follow form, even if a light is ugly, but has great fuction, and operation, its a winner in my book.

You do have a point about the tail needing to be flat, to stand properly, and the closeness of the tapped holes would be a problem.

I know what you mean about wanting to just sit around modding and creating every day, I also would love to do that. But, alas,, time, and $$$ . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
You do tease us though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Unintentionally, but still, hehe, You just keep comming up with really radical thinking, and producing designs alittle out of the box.

The pocket clip isnt a huge deal, right now any way. One can be added on at a later date fairly easy.
I tend to agree, that the TI clips are alot better, just for the fact that they stay tight, and dont lossen up over time.
I have some steel clips on the way, to place on some Arc LSs I am currently modding, I will see how the fair.

Some day, I hope to be in a situation similar to yours, where I can finacially afford to make a few runs of lights, and parts.
I just have to figure out a couple ways of starting out small, and slow, and working my way up, making alittle cash each time, building up, to let me take on larger projects.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mr. Blue,

I am not sure I undersand your question. The proto didn't exist 48 hours ago. I am in the process of getting all of the components shown quoted and hopefully produced in small production runs. At that point, Both Wayne and I will do what we can to make complete flashlights available in addition to supplying the components for DIY. We will both hopefuly be in a position to "build to suit" with the *customer* having options in terms of driver, batery platform and head/optic.

In terms of being marketed, components and assembly need to preceed the sales. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I have discussed on ocassion with Wayne that it would be great if there were a third member of our *group* who took his electronics and my components and handled the assembly and marketing of them. As it is, between the two of us, we have been doing what we can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Once we have the materials on hand, we can address the next question of what to do with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Too much good stuff too lomg away!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
On the other hand, good for my Credit Card ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

P.S.: in no way I'd want you tro slow down, Don! Keep on working triple shifts! No rest for the wicked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, could I step in now to be #1 on the list for a TK model? If you should start a signup list, let me know!!

I am only now starting to really start to appreciate the lower output lights with an even beam, or with a soft transition from hotspot to corona. It really looks like you have put a lot of thought and effort into this one... I think a straight EN/BB'd version to show an artsy sort of transition from the McLux may be in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, this thread is already too long, and I'm already too tired this evening (East coast!) to appreciate it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

But let me say this: your design, as usual, looks great! And from what I was able to digest of your postings, the various features and considerable thought you've obviously put into things (E-series compatibility, standing guarded tailcap, ability to use a number of reflectors and optics, LuxV compatibility, good seal against water, etc.) are much appreciated by this reader. Thank you for your diligence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uh, whenever you get around to producing these parts in a HA3 natural finish, I'm almost definitely a buyer, at least so long as finances permit. This is looking really good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Mr. Blue,

I am not sure I undersand your question. The proto didn't exist 48 hours ago. I am in the process of getting all of the components shown quoted and hopefully produced in small production runs. At that point, Both Wayne and I will do what we can to make complete flashlights available in addition to supplying the components for DIY. We will both hopefuly be in a position to "build to suit" with the *customer* having options in terms of driver, batery platform and head/optic.

In terms of being marketed, components and assembly need to preceed the sales. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I have discussed on ocassion with Wayne that it would be great if there were a third member of our *group* who took his electronics and my components and handled the assembly and marketing of them. As it is, between the two of us, we have been doing what we can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Once we have the materials on hand, we can address the next question of what to do with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, fly me over to CA & I'll be your apprentice. You can pay me in McLuxes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I don't know if I missed it somewhere on the thread but can we assume that this light and it's accessories will be sold through the Shoppe? I sure do hope so.

Could you give a rough estimate of the dimensions of the light?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Don, even though you didnt understand my question, you answered it!!! Dang, you're good. Can you help interpret for me with my wife?

Looks very cool...I am interested for sure.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Really nice setup! The OAL comes in at about 3.5in or so?

With Charlie's new light and this project coming together in the near future, I can see my wallet getting ALOT lighter. Just let us know when TKs are ready!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brian,

OAL = 3 5/8"

Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Ooooh, then it just might fit in the XM2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Weee! Thanks!
Are you gonna offer these reflectors for sale separately eventually?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This really sounds very promissing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif