New Costco Cree "tactical" lights?

cccpull

Enlightened
Three 200 lumen, xpg led flashlights with 3 duracell batteries, for $15, it's a bargain:twothumbs. That's the price of one 18650 li-ion battery. :ohgeez:It'll take care of emergencies when you actually need the light and won't really care how pretty the beam looks.

indychris

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set - for $7.50 each, I figured I really cannot go wrong. They are maybe 160 lumens side by side lol - they do have the surefire style scalloped head and tail + spot 2 flood + strobe, so I thought they were a good deal.

Haven't seen the Costco lights, but I have purchased a number of packs of the Rocky (as in Rocky boots) sets at Sam's Club over the years. I've never had a way to measure them, but I can tell you this, they actually put out quite a punch. Unfortunately, they have an awful yellow tint to some of them, but they are very bright. I've taken them with me on my overseas trips many times and usually leave them there with a supply of batteries. They make a great light for those who aren't as picky as most of us, and at $5-10 a pop INCLUDING batteries, they're actually a pretty good deal, IMO.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

DDan69

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Adam2670 on this one, not to sure where all you guy live but here in WA I also picked these 200 lumen candles up at Costco for less then $20 for 3 of them about 4 months ago. And for the price I have to say they will be very hard to beat. I have 3 different MAG lights, including 3D cells and they don't compare to these 3 little LED lights from Costco.
Like Adam2670 said they are bright and throw pretty good but the beam is messy...

PS: these lights DO have a momentary option, with other light you have to press the button part way down but with these ones you have to press the button down all the way and hold it there for a second and then you have the momentary light option turned on.... ;)

DDan69

DaveG

Enlightened
I have the older and newer models of these lights,the 200 lumen model is the best so far as I can tell.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Any way to have this light run on a diffrent power options?I have this light and for the price it's not bad. it does eat battery's fast.

MinorThreat

Newly Enlightened
Any way to have this light run on a diffrent power options?I have this light and for the price it's not bad. it does eat battery's fast.

Bump...
These are 14.69 right now. 1hr runtime on high and 4hr on low. Advertised 250lm using XPG R4 LED.

1hr is horrible though. Non AAA options??

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Bump...
These are 14.69 right now. 1hr runtime on high and 4hr on low. Advertised 250lm using XPG R4 LED.

1hr is horrible though. Non AAA options??

Yes I have a 14500 in the light now. You can use an 18650 also! The 18650 gives a lot longer runtime. Heat sinking isn't bad. Light really doesn't get too hot!

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Yes I have a 14500 in the light now. You can use an 18650 also! The 18650 gives a lot longer runtime. Heat sinking isn't bad. Light really doesn't get too hot!

I'm not sure we're talking about the same light. MinorThreat is talking about the lights in this thread and an 18650 definitely won't fit - the tail cap doesn't even come close to threading.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Every time I see those I pass for some reason, right on over to the enleloop batteries and get them instead.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Every time I see those I pass for some reason, right on over to the enleloop batteries and get them instead.

Heheheh, yep. I bought a combo pack (8xAA, 4XAAA, wall socket charger) when I got the lights.

MinorThreat

Newly Enlightened
I believe we are talking the same light. Sorry for the miscommunication. I'm referring to a modded light. Not in the standard stock configuration.

Check out this thread. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=22954.15

Steven

Oh, thanks for that Steven.
I ran one on high tonight and got 75 minutes before it shut off using Energizer 700mah rechargeables fresh off a BC1000. I only watched it closely for the first 40 minutes and the final 10 minutes so not very scientific. The first 40 minutes I didn't notice any degredation in brightness however when I watched the last 10 minutes it was definitly dim. It may switch to low at a certain voltage or just get dimmer as the battery dies. Will do a retest tomorrow with La Crosse 1000mAh and pay closer attention.

Investigator

Newly Enlightened
Guys,
If I'm looking for a led flashlight that has the strobe mode where could I look? I know Amazon sells them but I'd rather go to an actual department store.
I'd like to find something with a more focused beam too.

Up All Night

Enlightened
You can run them unmodified on a 14500 by simply wrapping the cell with cardboard, you may have to stretch the tail spring slightly. If you're really dedicated, grab a piece of PVC conduit and run it on a 18500. You may need to modify the I/O diameter of the conduit. ......As unmodified as that is!

Verndog

Enlightened
We bought a pack of those Costco lights 1 year ago Christmas so they are 14 months old. One sitting by the front door as a grab light for everyone but me :)shakehead) and after 14 months the original Duracell batteries checked 1.365V. No parasitic loss here IMO. Light is rarely used but I question the 2 week draining post...not mine.

dborden0

Newly Enlightened
I have a set that is about a year old, and I have never changed the batteries in them and they are all still running bright. Great lights for the money.

Up All Night

Enlightened
The translucent booted switches were guilty of parasitic drain. Ironically, they were low battery indicators that would glow red when voltage dropped and yes they would drain batteries in weeks. If your lights have black switch boots you should not encounter this.

Up All Night

Enlightened
We bought a pack of those Costco lights 1 year ago Christmas so they are 14 months old. One sitting by the front door as a grab light for everyone but me :)shakehead) and after 14 months the original Duracell batteries checked 1.365V. No parasitic loss here IMO. Light is rarely used but I question the 2 week draining post...not mine.

"Everyone but me"? Come on man, don't be a nouveau light snob!
:D

Verndog

Enlightened
"Everyone but me"? Come on man, don't be a nouveau light snob!
:D

OK...I'll come clean. I've used it twice. Once when we first got it, then again a week ago to check the UI and make sure it was still bright. But walk outside with it when I have what I have to choose from?? I may have trouble sleeping knowing I neglected taking one of my babies for a walk. ;)