• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Edition: Vote for your favorite McGizmo!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no 'bad' Gizmo! But for me, the Haiku embodies the culmination of 'goodness' beyond what one could expect from a small, one cell flashlight - rugged, beautiful, useful, timeless.

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

But a new Gizmo on the scene deserves mention, the Makai!
IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

:thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
I have been very fortunate to own quite a few of Don's lights in my time here, PD-S, PD Mules, LS 20 and 27, McLux III Al, Original McLux TK, 27LT's, PD-S27, all 3 Sundrops, McLux III T, Aleph McClicky with a bunch of different LE's, Sapphires, and Haiku's, to which my vote goes from the standpoint of looks, size, function, and the famous KISS principle. I have deep appreciation for each of those I have left, all for different reasons, but the Haiku XP-G is my true EDC, do-it-all go to light.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Haiku was off to a slow start, but it's starting to catch up. I figured it would be a front runner. Picked up my second McGizmo last night, a black slate PD all original and mint. I think I may be getting in too deep. :sssh: ;)

Thanks everyone for your votes, thoughts, and pics! And yes, I should have put the Makai up there. Although I think it would still fall under the other category. I wish I could have had enough spots for it and the Sapphire to be independent.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think the fact that the PD/McLux III series is still in front, even when this series was really in its heyday a few years ago, proves what a success it was.

These sort of votes usually favor the latest generation of products because the newer members would not have had the same exposure to past generations of products.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad I'm allergic to titanium. :sick2: Otherwise my collection would look just like that fyrstormer. ;) :laughing:

Sable

Enlightened
I've been using my Lunasol 27 almost exclusively since I got it. It briefly battled with an AlTiN-plated titanium PD I had, but in the end this won out, and the PD went to England. I think. It's been a while.

Just can't beat this light, really.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my Lunasol 27 almost exclusively since I got it. It briefly battled with an AlTiN-plated titanium PD I had, but in the end this won out, and the PD went to England. I think. It's been a while.

Just can't beat this light, really.

But isn't the wide head of the LS27 hard to fit in a pocket?

You got me going down a dark (or is it bright?) path Sable. Now I've got a second McLux PD coming. :laughing:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Sure...but you wouldn't get a flashlight from me, because I know you already know the value of them. I usually get people gifts that I know they'll appreciate once they get one, but they've never thought were worth buying. It makes for lots of confused faces on Christmas, followed by nice thank-you letters a month later.

You're lucky. I've stopped giving flashlights as gifts after my brother lost his Nitecore D10 and my mother said she preferred her dollar store special to the Fenix LD10 I got her . . . which is smaller and more powerful than that dollar store special.

I voted for my Lunasol 20. I don't own any other McGizmos but I have been hankering for a Haiku and Sundrop. I have several other lights with two to four preset levels but none that have the two beam profiles. I'm sure people are tired of hearing me say as much but I just don't think this aspect of the Lunasol gets much mention outside of js's wonderful review of the light. It was this review that convinced me to get two LS20s in the first place.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't have said it better myself :cool:. Is it too late to add the Makai to the list or does that fall under other:candle:

I don't see how I could edit the list, but I have been kicking myself for not including the Makai. Though it probably would have been in the "other category". Unfortunately 10 poll options max is not enough for all the awesome lights McGizmo has created.

Death's Head

Enlightened
I've owned a S27, a Haiku XP-G, and the Lunasol 20, and my fav has gotta be the Haiku. Unlike my others listed, the Haiku is the easiest to operate one handed.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one, the Haiku XP-G so I guess I am biased.
I did get a chance to see the Makai, very nice light too.
Maybe one day I will order one of those too.

fyrstormer

Banned
I only have one, the Haiku XP-G so I guess I am biased.
I did get a chance to see the Makai, very nice light too.
Maybe one day I will order one of those too.
If the Haiku is the only Gizmo you ever own, it's still the only flashlight you'll ever need. It's usefully bright, it's indestructible, it has an innovative and visually appealing design, and the user interface is idiotproof.

Some might say the PD design is more idiotproof, but I've discovered it's easier to explain how to change modes on the Haiku than on the PD-S. Most people get hung-up on "press for momentary light, twist for sustained light" more than they do on "double-tap to switch brightness". I think it's because people are just used to having any flashlight, from a dollar-store special to a Maglite to a lead-acid torch, be operable with a single hand. I love my PDs, and if nothing else I wish newer Gizmos had the same easy-to-access driver boards -- but I have to admit, if a $400 flashlight is a niche product, then a $400 flashlight with a quirky switch mechanism occupies an even smaller niche.

Last edited:

Latest posts