New Energy LED Starboard: Compatible Lens/Collimator ?

EddyCurr

Newly Enlightened
I am posting in search of advice identifying and sourcing suitable lenses/collimators for use with New Energy's high power (3W, 20mm) LEDs mounted on starboards. (A specific example is the XPEBAM-L1-0000-00901-SB01 - Single Color Amber LED 585- 595nm Starboard XPE.)

The objective is for the lens to focus the LED light output into a relatively thin & narrow pattern, eg: 5 degrees x 20 degrees.

A) What is the correct product terminology for successfully searching for what I am referring to here as a lens/collimator?

B) Is one component required (lens) or are numerous components (lens, reflector, housing ...) making up an assembly required to meet the objective of focusing output into the desired pattern?

C) Are starboards for LEDs designed to a common standard? IOW, will all lenses/lens assemblies mount to all manufacturers starboards or is it necessary to find parts that are designed for or at least compatible with the particular New Energy starboards I am considering?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think Carclo XPE-E 26.5mm series will work for most star MCPCBs with an external holder. Their elliptical patterns are wider than you want however - ~44º x ~6º and ~48º x ~7º. Otherwise they offer some strip optics that might serve your purpose.

A) What is the correct product terminology for successfully searching for what I am referring to here as a lens/collimator?
You'll probably want to search by LED type - in this case apparently Cree XP-E

B) Is one component required (lens) or are numerous components (lens, reflector, housing ...) making up an assembly required to meet the objective of focusing output into the desired pattern?
That's a function of your design. If you're using a standard star MCPCB then there's an ecosystem of TIR lenses, reflectors, holders available. Environmental considerations (outer lens, housing, thermal management) are an exercise left to the reader.

C) Are starboards for LEDs designed to a common standard? IOW, will all lenses/lens assemblies mount to all manufacturers starboards or is it necessary to find parts that are designed for or at least compatible with the particular New Energy starboards I am considering?
They generally are for the aforementioned reasons. 1x and 3x LED arrangements are quite common. However it's good to look at dimensions from multiple sources before committing.

LEDphile

Enlightened
While the star boards are generally the same across vendors, there are significant differences between the LEDs that could be mounted onto said boards that will mean that an optical system that works with one board might not be appropriate for another board. An example here is that a collimator that works with the Cree XP-E family might not even physically fit onto a board with a Cree XR-E LED. And an optic designed for an XR-E is not going to give optimal results with a midpower LED (e.g. Nichia 757). So when picking your optical system from off-the-shelf parts, you should always check the specs for the optic to see what LEDs the vendor has verified compatibility with.

EddyCurr

Newly Enlightened
idleprocess, Thank you. Your post gives me the answers I was looking for. Now I feel like I have some traction.

I have a supplemental question about lenses.

What is the meaning of the degree range given with descriptions of the illumination patterns of spot, medium and wide lenses?

Eg: Carclo #10124 - LENS CLEAR 7-22DEG SPOT SNAP-IN;
Carclo #10108 - LENS CLR 6-31DEG MEDIUM SNAP-IN

Is the pattern being treated as a torus with degrees describing the inner and outer boundaries?

Last edited:

EddyCurr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the caution and advice, LEDphile.

Your post prompted a question, but while composing the question, further reflection on what you had written revealed that you had already provided the answer.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
What is the meaning of the degree range given with descriptions of the illumination patterns of spot, medium and wide lenses?

Eg: Carclo #10124 - LENS CLEAR 7-22DEG SPOT SNAP-IN;
Carclo #10108 - LENS CLR 6-31DEG MEDIUM SNAP-IN
Carclo generally rates their optics with any LED that will physically interface with it. Limiting ourselves to white Cree LEDs, the 10124 will go as wide as 25.5° with the XHP-70 and as narrow as 7.4° with the XQ-E HI. In your case, the XP-E is 9.6° at 83.1% efficiency.

EddyCurr

Newly Enlightened
Oh! I hadn't considered that a range of illumination patterns could result from interfacing a particular lens with a variety of different LEDs.

Scrolling through the considerable number of examples for just the Carclo #10124 lens alone was a mind-expanding experience. One that left me with new-found respect for how I imagine that a professional must go about optimizing parameters to arrive at a "best" solution for a particular lighting design criteria. Many roads lead to Rome ...

Thank you.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used 26.5 and 20mm carclo lens with xpe, xpg, xml leds, the angle they rated is only true with xpe leds, with other leds the angle is larger, larger leds, like mtg , xhp70 will not fit, and xhp50 a multide led, does not have a good beam profile, carclo also makes frosted lenses, that make beam smother, at the cost of the angle, they also make ripple optic but it gives you a cross in a beam even with single die led,