**NEW** Fenix E40 (4AA, XP-E R4, 17500cd)

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I've been thinking about getting this E40 until i bought i LD41. Now though, i'm no longer considering it as the nitecore EA4 seems so nice and it's only about $30 bucks more. I'm sorry if i'm taking this thread off topic, but i just wanted to mention, though i'm sure most of you already know, that the nitecore EA4, at least according to the manufacturer's specs, has 860 lumens & 20000cd. For comaprison, Fenix LD41, which i own, has 520 lumens and 10000cd. Fenix E40 has 220 lumens and 17500cd. What's more, the price of the nitecore, so far at least i've seen, is about the same price as the LD41. It'd be really neat to see someone with beamshots of a Fenix E40 and Nitecore EA4. Maybe i should get an Fenix E40 as well and then compare it myself? hahah

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I've been thinking about getting this E40 until i bought i LD41. Now though, i'm no longer considering it as the nitecore EA4 seems so nice and it's only about $30 bucks more. I'm sorry if i'm taking this thread off topic, but i just wanted to mention, though i'm sure most of you already know, that the nitecore EA4, at least according to the manufacturer's specs, has 860 lumens & 20000cd. For comaprison, Fenix LD41, which i own, has 520 lumens and 10000cd. Fenix E40 has 220 lumens and 17500cd. What's more, the price of the nitecore, so far at least i've seen, is about the same price as the LD41. It'd be really neat to see someone with beamshots of a Fenix E40 and Nitecore EA4. Maybe i should get an Fenix E40 as well and then compare it myself? hahah

the Ea4 definitely looks impressive by the specs, but I do think the e40 in under rated on throw visually I think the lux is higher then 17500

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Ok, this is one beast of a light. For what it is, the throw and use-ability of the light is unprecedented. I got a steal on it from amazon, picked it up for 25$ and I couldn't be happier with this light. I would definitely say that it is a solid value at 45$. Also, Bwolcott, I apologize for doubting what you were saying about the light being under rated. This thing is a lot better than the specs would have you believe.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
^don't sweat it, SimulatedZero, it's rather unbelievable how good this light is,
and it just goes to show how misleading all of our fancy ansi measurements can be.

TornroT

Newly Enlightened
Darn. Couldn't resist. Just ordered one. Your fault, guys! No semi serious thrower in the collection as yet. Serious throwers cost too much / are too big / use exotic batteries. The Fenix E21 (natural white) is wonderful in the woods. Thinking the E40 could be suitable in more open spaces, perhaps at sea too. And now for the long wait... Thread'll be old before I have it :-(

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Darn. Couldn't resist. Just ordered one. Your fault, guys! No semi serious thrower in the collection as yet. Serious throwers cost too much / are too big / use exotic batteries. The Fenix E21 (natural white) is wonderful in the woods. Thinking the E40 could be suitable in more open spaces, perhaps at sea too. And now for the long wait... Thread'll be old before I have it :-(

It's more of a Cool White than Neutral White so it won't be quite as comfortable in the woods. However, I do think that you will enjoy using. Especially in conjunction with the E21. The only thing you need now is a nice floody light with a low low for upclose stuff.

TornroT

Newly Enlightened
Yup. Got lot's of them luvvely small floodies: iTP A1 + A2, 47 Mini AA + Mini A CRI + Mini ML CRI, Xenos, couple of headlights... Working my way up to the big lights, taking it slow. Maybe one day there'll be a Sunway M40A or a Fenix TK41. Trying to keep it sane, though. Itching to go 18650 but resisting bravely - so far.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi,

I have the fenix E40, and i get the Fenix TK41 and TK60 nowadays,

Whats the difference between the E40 and the TK41, and TK60, in throw, and brightness?

I hope they are much throwier, and much brighter.

Remco

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Eh, I'm not so confident in said update. I would hate for Fenix to complicate a perfectly good workhorse in the name of putting new products out just to do it.

kj2

Flashaholic
Eh, I'm not so confident in said update. I would hate for Fenix to complicate a perfectly good workhorse in the name of putting new products out just to do it.
Well a XM-L2 or XP-L in it would be nice. The biggest reason I don't use my E40 that much, is the intense hotspot. The (big)plus is the plastic handle which doesn't get cold during the winter.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well just awhile ago we were talking about how they silently updated the E40 to an xp-e2. I wish I had that version, but it's not really a biggie.

It kind of would completely change the entire point of the light if they put an xm-l2 in there. Way less throwy for the size. An xp-g2 would maybe be more interesting for me.