NEW Fenix FD41 LED Flashlight - 360 Degree Rotary Focusing Flashlight

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely interested in this light, it looks like it will be a great general purpose light. Of course I have to say it, neutral tint would be nice lol.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah definitely cool. Haven't had a zoom light in a long time. High CRI would also be nice!

Phlogiston

Enlightened
High CRI is hard to do in a single LED at this level of output (max. 900lm on this light) unless you're willing to settle for low colour temperatures in the 3000K area. That's far too warm and orange for my taste, or I'd be agreeing with you. Standard CRI NW should be workable, though.

On a different point, the spec gives a flood beam angle of 81°, but I can't seem to find a spec for the spot beam angle. Fenix Store, do you know what the spot beam angle is?

For comparison, the FD40 spec shows a 78° beam angle in flood, with the spot beam having a 7.5° hotspot and 40° of spill.

All in all, a very interesting light :)

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Great idea. But even with that focusing head, they only managed to get 340m out of it? That's not enough to make me reach for the wallet.

If they could do the same concept but produce actually decent throw, then I'd be interested.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
In my experience, the mega flood to pencil beam zoom lights don't have IP68 protection, and they don't generally come with Fenix quality or warranty support, either. Reduced focal range in exchange for having a dependable light seems a reasonable tradeoff to me.

I do wonder whether the Fenix R&D engineers have tried this technology in an 18650 tube light format, though [pictures Fenix lab full of interesting experiments :)].

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI is hard to do in a single LED at this level of output (max. 900lm on this light) unless you're willing to settle for low colour temperatures in the 3000K area. That's far too warm and orange for my taste, or I'd be agreeing with you. Standard CRI NW should be workable, though.

On a different point, the spec gives a flood beam angle of 81°, but I can't seem to find a spec for the spot beam angle. Fenix Store, do you know what the spot beam angle is?

For comparison, the FD40 spec shows a 78° beam angle in flood, with the spot beam having a 7.5° hotspot and 40° of spill.

All in all, a very interesting light :)

Yeah I'm fine with a little less output! Although to be fair I also don't mind the 3000k range anyway.

phosphor

Enlightened
In my experience, the mega flood to pencil beam zoom lights don't have IP68 protection, and they don't generally come with Fenix quality or warranty support, either. Reduced focal range in exchange for having a dependable light seems a reasonable tradeoff to me.

I do wonder whether the Fenix R&D engineers have tried this technology in an 18650 tube light format, though [pictures Fenix lab full of interesting experiments :)].
...agreed. Specs look VERY useful. I don't need it to spot a pimple on a flea's hind-quarters at a half mile.;)

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix engineer replied:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Because of their different circuit design, lead to different efficiency.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Why doesn't the FD30 have the same runtime? Same LED and battery