*new* Fenix HL50 headlamp

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
This headlamp looks interesting to me, but until we get a review on it and more complete output/runtimes as Fenix typically gives AA runtimes off 2500mah nimh cells when many of us use eneloop cells around 1900-2000mah instead and energizer lithium AAs. It would also be interesting to see spec using 3V AA lithiums (14505 non rechargeable).

mhanlen

Enlightened
They haven't sent out a sample yet due to some issues with the packaging. They said they'd be shipped out today or tomorrow. So it'll probably be a few weeks before the first reviews are sent out.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They haven't sent out a sample yet due to some issues with the packaging. They said they'd be shipped out today or tomorrow. So it'll probably be a few weeks before the first reviews are sent out.

I saw a youtube video about the headlamp but it really just talked about the specs and showed it in use didn't give any new information at all

TabascoJoe

Newly Enlightened
I'll be getting one of these when they come out. I was looking at Zebralights but I think I'd rather have one of these. I saw on a website that release date is June 30th.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
No. Fenix doesn't support RCR123 officially. Specs say max 3V. Of course others can try if RCR123 works.

Without support for rcr123 or 14500s, this headlamp is what we could've gotten from zebralight 3 years ago with the h51.

I keep waiting for somebody to make something comparable to zebras for headlamps...and I keep waiting.

I still look forward to hearing users reviews.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Without support for rcr123 or 14500s, this headlamp is what we could've gotten from zebralight 3 years ago with the h51.

I keep waiting for somebody to make something comparable to zebras for headlamps...and I keep waiting.

I still look forward to hearing users reviews.

Got this today. I was hoping to get it sooner. If the lamp is really available June 30th, then the global testers won't get much of an advance look. Maybe there's also a delay in the retail shipments?

Dear Mark,

Pls kindly noted that the HL50 has been sent to our warehouse in NewYork, and will be deliveried to you soon.
Will let you know the updated news asap. Thanks for patience!

Best Regards!​

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
I'll be getting one of these when they come out. I was looking at Zebralights but I think I'd rather have one of these. I saw on a website that release date is June 30th.

Why this instead of a Zebralight or Armytek? The only advantage I see is the lanyard loop, so I'm interested in seeing what advantages others see in this.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if the headband is as comfortable as the Zebralight H52w...

Hope someone comes up with review soon!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Looks nice but will wait on the CPF reviews to come in. Also wish Fenix would have an extra low low mode like the ZL.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that there is not much interest in this headlamp despite having some pretty interesting features...

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, that is one negative point about it. No rechargeable lithium-ion allowed.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Candlepowerforums mobile app

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some initial impressions (most in relation to the Zebralight H50x/H5x, which get more use than all my other lights combined):

• I really don't care for the HL50's momentary burst mode. I think it's fine for a light that's primarily in your hand, but (for me) fiddling with the UI on a headlamp is an inconvenience. I generally just want to turn it on and forget about it.
  • I guess enabling burst from Off is a decent feature, but enabling burst from On momentarily turns the light off first. Really annoying.
  • I prefer the higher (default) high of the H52.
  • The build quality of the HL50 is generally OK, but the threads were a little rough, and you'll definitely want to apply some lube to the AA extension, if you choose to use it.
  • The extra retaining ring that screws under the tailcap and attaches to the strap seems like an after-thought. (I assume testers found a problem with the HL50 bracket late in development. I can't see any other need for this ring.) Using the retaining ring means you can't remove the light from the strap without removing the tailcap - not something I generally care about, but another annoyance.
  • The HL50 button is pretty firm, which is good because...
  • The HL50 threads are conductive, so you can't easily lock the light out by unscrewing the tailcap (big point in the H52's favor, for me).
  • I haven't weighed them, but the HL50 feels noticeably heavier than the H52 (both in the hand and on the forehead).
  • I was curious how the metal bracket would feel against my forehead, but it's padded on the back side, and is comfortable to wear.
  • The strap is also comfortable, and probably interchangeable with the H52's.
  • I haven't done an extended runtime test yet, so I have no idea how well the HL50 dissipates heat. (It has to be better than the mass-challenged Zebralights on high. :sick2:)
  • 14500 support would have been nice, but I generally only use Eneloops, so it's a non-issue for me.
Overall: meh. Unless you just have to have a light that supports both CR123A and AA, get an H52w.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww, that is a bit dissapointing. Oh well, I will have to skip this one.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Candlepowerforums mobile app

AvroArrow

Enlightened
gswitter, Thanks for your impressions. I've been looking at the HL50 and am still on the fence about it. I've got a few Zebralights (H50, H50bw, H51w) and wanted to try a RCR123 powered one for the next one, but it doesn't look like Zebralight is going to make a H32w so I'm looking for something different for the next one. It sucks that the Fenix doesn't take Li-ion. Having not tried any of the recent Fenix lights, how's the tint on the HL50? The specs list it as having "XM-L2 T6 neutral white LED" but they don't specify what tint/color (4000k, 4500k, 5000k?). I've become somewhat of a tint snob ever since the Cree neutral whites have been getting brighter gaining popularity and the beautiful Nichia 219A/B. Too bad Zebralight doesn't make a H52w with Nichia 219, I'd be all over that.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
gswitter pretty much nails it with is first impressions.

The retaining ring under the tail cap was my biggest annoyance. I just took it off.........

I also agree, I could care less about the burst mode, especially since you have to keep your finger on the button.

As far as the tint goes, I haven't really owned many lights on the warmish side but based on LED specs I've seen and known what color temperature they are, I'd have to say this one could be in the 4500k area as a guess. The beam is good with no artifacts or rings.

The tail cap has a lot of fine threads so it takes more turns to unscrew than I'm use to. And they are not anodized........ I lubed up the O-ring and threads and that helped smooth it out.

The HL50 is very light, which I will primarily use it for backpacking and the occasional job around the house that requires 2 hands.

I only have 2 headlamps right now, and I kind of like this one so will be keeping it for the time being.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
The regulation on the light is spot on. I have done video runtime tests on high for both an eneloop Pro and akaline and the eneloop pro is constant. I'm working on a video review right now that won't be ready until next week. Everyone is right though, you can't lock it out easily. I don't mind the burst mode actually. I only use it for a few seconds anyway. The headband is nice, and the light has a nice neutral tint.