New Fenix XM-L flashlights - TK21, TK41 and TK70

stainer

Newly Enlightened
TK41 on high.
iyfuw2.jpg
It's a pretty nasty green. I will send it back for a replacement, but really do not feel like playing the xm-l lottery, maybe I'll just wait until they have their bins sorted out because the green tint seems to claim a majority of TK41 and xm-l owners in general. I should've kept my TK 40. :oops:

AusKipper

Enlightened
oh no.... I hope i win the XML tint lottery with my TK41, I dont like green lights :(

g.p.

Enlightened
.....green tint seems to claim a majority of TK41 .....
Where are you getting that info from? I've only seen posts in the past few days about the green tint in the TK41. Before that everyone seemed to be impressed that it wasn't green.

....keeping my fingers crossed! :sigh:

BryDaddy

Newly Enlightened
im actually seriously thinking of returning mine...........i just took it outside (i back up to a green belt) and ist really damn green, not only that but my tk45 really seems to outshine it...............

SbFlashLightGuy

Newly Enlightened
Where are you getting that info from? I've only seen posts in the past few days about the green tint in the TK41. Before that everyone seemed to be impressed that it wasn't green.

....keeping my fingers crossed! :sigh:

Yes, where did you here that? Mines perfect. I got mine from PTS tactical if that makes a difference.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my TK41 today and its not green at all.

pageyjim

Enlightened
I too got my TK41 today. Mine has a greenish hue on the lowest mode, while other modes look fine. Both switches work like clockwork and both require the same amoung of pressure to click. I need to take it outside this evening along with my M3C4 to do a comparison. The hot spot of the TK41 is noticeably brighter than that of the M3C4 - I know this much.

Curious about your comparison.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TK41 in the mail today, and boy does it look sharp. The only problem, the nasty green tint. Shine it on a white wall and at every level you can see it boxing the hotspot :shakehead. Love the lumens and the throw is amazing but this may be a deal breaker. Any recommendations guys?
The same is true of my TK21, although nothing quite as severe as what we see in your picture. It's definitely green around the hotspot. I still really like the light, however.

stainer

Newly Enlightened
Google xm-l green tint, seems to be a wide spread issue. Like I said, it's a hit or miss with the TK 41, sometimes the green will be as bad as mine, sometimes not at all, sometimes just on the lowest of settings or mode. We don't know how bad it is, but from this forum it looks like it effects 50% of their product, lol. The thing is, as consumers, we should not have to bother with testing and sending back 'defective' or undesired bins sometimes at cost to us; that should be covered in the factory inspection. And at this rate, it seems the newest lot is at best 'iffy' Haha *rant over* Love the light, just need to exchange it for a less green one.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
Google xm-l green tint, seems to be a wide spread issue.
I think I can get by without our Internet overlord in this particular case. :)

I currently own four XML lights from three different bins: two T6, (maybe) 5A, and U2. With the exception of the neutral, and under certain (very narrow) circumstances, I can see a little green with all of them. However...

I've only see evidence of a green tint when shining my lights on a wall or ceiling.

The "issue" looks particularly severe in photographic and video images. Every picture and video I've seen of a beam from an XML emitter looks like St. Patrick's Day in Boston. In my own white wall hunting experience, the issue hasn't been nearly as bad. In real world use, it hasn't been an issue.

stainer

Newly Enlightened
In real world use, it hasn't been an issue.

I completely agree. Took the wife out yesterday for a little night time nature walk with my new toy, which she till this day doesn't understand what I didn't like about 'the other one', lol. And the 41 was a great performer. I mean too bad shining is illegal because we'd be having deer for months to come. The thing I can equate the tint issue to is stuck/dead pixels on a display. You see once you know they are there, and the fact that other displays don't have them begin to bug the hell out of you despite real world viewing conditions. I call them OMCS (only men can see) problems.:laughing: Because having to explain to the wife why I am intently staring at a white screen 5 inches from the display is comedy at it's finest. But it's in the mail today and hopefully next week I can come back and tell you how flawlessly white my new TK41 is. Here's to hoping.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I also have several T6 lights, some of them with brand names, some in P60 form bought directly from HK sellers, many built by myself, and I can say even though the green corona they had, they have been more natural than my R5 and S2 lights. I can say they give an overall tint similar to the XP-E R2 on my Nitecore EX10SP which I liked more compared to my XR-E R2 lights.

But today, my Thrunite Neutral Neuton 1C light arrived and I saw how a really neutral XM-L can be. It is way better than my other XM-Ls and R5s, with a tint very similar to my R4 Neutral emitters I got from a HK seller (KaiDomain). I know neutral tint is a compromise in brightness but I hope we can see more neutral powerlights soon. My TK41 should arrive next week, and I guess I'll see that green once more.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
I completely agree. Took the wife out yesterday for a little night time nature walk with my new toy, which she till this day doesn't understand what I didn't like about 'the other one', lol. And the 41 was a great performer. I mean too bad shining is illegal because we'd be having deer for months to come. The thing I can equate the tint issue to is stuck/dead pixels on a display. You see once you know they are there, and the fact that other displays don't have them begin to bug the hell out of you despite real world viewing conditions. I call them OMCS (only men can see) problems.:laughing: Because having to explain to the wife why I am intently staring at a white screen 5 inches from the display is comedy at it's finest. But it's in the mail today and hopefully next week I can come back and tell you how flawlessly white my new TK41 is. Here's to hoping.

Also, the users of this forum are just more inclined to turn off all the lights, aim expensive flashlights at flat white surfaces, and stare with great interest and intensity than the population at large. Some take pictures or video the results. :D

PCS

Newly Enlightened
But today, my Thrunite Neutral Neuton 1C light arrived and I saw how a really neutral XM-L can be. It is way better than my other XM-Ls and R5s, with a tint very similar to my R4 Neutral emitters I got from a HK seller (KaiDomain). I know neutral tint is a compromise in brightness but I hope we can see more neutral powerlights soon. My TK41 should arrive next week, and I guess I'll see that green once more.
I got my neutral Neutron 1C last night (my first neutral). I immediately put a cell in it, pulled out my cool white 1C, and began shining them on walls, ceilings, closets, furniture, etc. Tonight I'll probably run around the backyard shining it on trees, bushes, flowers, and grass. Frankly, I don't know what has gotten into me. ;)

recDNA

Flashaholic
TK41 on high.
iyfuw2.jpg
It's a pretty nasty green. I will send it back for a replacement, but really do not feel like playing the xm-l lottery, maybe I'll just wait until they have their bins sorted out because the green tint seems to claim a majority of TK41 and xm-l owners in general. I should've kept my TK 40. :oops:

Hey! Check out the Marketplace! (Not toooo self serving since I have one for sale! Lol)

BryDaddy

Newly Enlightened
i made a discovery.........the tailcap of the TK41 looks better on the TK45 than the OEM TK45 tailcap...................

scotto

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the TK21. I needed something to replace the LED Lenser I lost on the train last week (LED Lenser sheaths are terrible!!) and was planning on the TK15, until I saw this thread. So thanks for the heads up!

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Think a new light needs a snazzy new lanyard - no green on this xml, but i use it outside and not indoors on white walls.

P1050807.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts