• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New flashlight: The Copperhead [interest / description / sales] thread

gunga

Flashaholic
To be clear. I was hoping for shrouded switch, nichia 219, narrow optic, extension tube and clip.

I'm not sure if more modes, moonlight, hybrid memory (or not) are possible. I would be interested in that.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Just to add to my request (219, 25 degree optic), I would want the programming l/m/h with memory. When do you plan on collecting deposits?

lensman

Newly Enlightened
I'm in for one but had a few questions about the emitters:
1. Is it correct to estimate that for the XM-L2 T5 3C 5k at 1500ma I might see 500 emitter lumens which I'll guestimate to 350 OTF lumens?
2. For the Nichia 219 the back-of-the-envelope says at 1500ma is 370 emitter lumens or ~260 OTF?
3. Would you be up for getting an XM-L2 T6 3C from Illumination Supply?

I will most likely get the 219, wide optic, shrouded switch.

white light

Enlightened
Count me in for one XM-L2 6k,25 degree optic,extra tube,clicky,custom programming

Last edited:
I'm in for one but had a few questions about the emitters:
1. Is it correct to estimate that for the XM-L2 T5 3C 5k at 1500ma I might see 500 emitter lumens which I'll guestimate to 350 OTF lumens?
2. For the Nichia 219 the back-of-the-envelope says at 1500ma is 370 emitter lumens or ~260 OTF?
3. Would you be up for getting an XM-L2 T6 3C from Illumination Supply?

lensman, the nichia is binned at 25C and the Cree at 85C, so for apples to apples, the nichia is 370 and the Cree is 600 (flashlightwiki.com). The lens maker claims 85% efficiency, but I have no way of verifying any of this. I just go by the data sheets and advertising! I think conservatively you will see 250 and 400 OTF conservatively.
I'll buy any LED that will fit the XM or XP formats and this driver. It might take a while, and you might have to pay for the shipping for a special order. I'm already stocking up on more XML2's in 5000 and 6000 tints, N219, and xpg 5000 tint.

Thanks.

Freaker

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested

5000k XML2
18650 tube
h/m/l
25 degrees
shrouded switch

gunga

Flashaholic
Hmmm. Based on my estimates, with nichia 219, the modes would be moonlight, 120 lumens, 250 lumens OTF. So no mid mode. If that's the case I'll pass. I like the plan but I only bother when I have balanced modes. I have tried a few lights that I thought were awesome but ended up selling because I didn't like the mode spread.

Hmmm. Based on my estimates, with nichia 219, the modes would be moonlight, 120 lumens, 250 lumens OTF. So no mid mode. If that's the case I'll pass. I like the plan but I only bother when I have balanced modes. I have tried a few lights that I thought were awesome but ended up selling because I didn't like the mode spread.

I hear you - I'll be looking for a driver with balanced modes and no memory for those that don't like moonlight. I end up using #2 for most everything. I concur with about 100+ lumens on that mode as far as I can tell. I'll X out your interest, and let you know when I find a suitable driver that might interest you. I have a couple H/M/L drivers coming where the low is supposed to be higher than moonlight. They are 2.8a, but there is a 1.4a model as well. There are also the nice NANJ drivers, but I believe they all have memory unless you flash the chip, and I don't have that capacity right now.

Update on 2x CR123A

After doing some more research on the chips on the KD driver, they are all rated to 6v, but the issue with higher voltages is that of heat dissipation. I am confident of the heat sinking in this light, so I put in 2x123 batteries and did some testing. No problems. Super bright - and the low is brighter than moonlight - easily visible to non dark adapted eyes. I will warrant this light on 2xCR123A batteries. However, I don't warrant that your cells will not explode! I don't personally use multiple cells because of imbalance, venting, etc., so use good judgement. Thanks.

Update on reverse battery protection

As a final test, I reversed the cell in my light and clicked the switch a few times. Nothing happened. Then I put it back in correctly and turned it on. Everything works! So, it appears that his driver does have adequate reverse polarity protection. Thanks.