• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New flashlight: The Copperhead [interest / description / sales] thread

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, in light of your findings can I change my optic back from 8 to 25 degree?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be rad if u could fit a tiny smooth reflector in there ;)

I'm interested in one of these for sure- neutral XP-G2 @ 3amps sounds good if u have any.
25deg is fine unless u find one that throws way better.
Dedomed emitters tend to do a bit better behind optics - might be something to try :)

I've got an extra SF extension tube already but would like the shrouded reverse clicky.

Two mode Lo/hi would be preferable for me memory or none is fine.

I might sand mine smooth for pocket carry.
I'll have to do it by hand tho haha

I've been looking for an ultra slim 18650 light for AGES!!

These look awesome.

Last edited:
Be rad if u could fit a tiny smooth reflector in there ;)

I'm interested in one of these for sure- neutral XP-G2 @ 3amps sounds good if u have any.
25deg is fine unless u find one that throws way better.
Dedomed emitters tend to do a bit better behind optics - might be something to try :)

I've got an extra SF extension tube already but would like the shrouded reverse clicky.

Two mode Lo/hi would be preferable for me memory or none is fine.

I might sand mine smooth for pocket carry.
I'll have to do it by hand tho haha

I've been looking for an ultra slim 18650 light for AGES!!

These look awesome.

Thanks for the interest psych. I'll be opening a new sales thread after I work out the kinks with production and move out the ones already on my plate. I'm in it for the long haul, but don't want to burn out with too many orders right now! I do have 2 reflectors that will work, but there are 2 issues. First, they are much longer than the optics, and second, they are harder to seal up and make bombproof like these optics are. I haven't given up though...

Dan, in light of your findings can I change my optic back from 8 to 25 degree?

Yours was the actual pill I used for all the XML beamshots and testing, so yes, I agree with this decision. After all the testing and subjective use I have done over the last 2 nights, I have decided to offer:

XML2: 25, 45, 60 degree
N219: 15, 25, 45, 60 degree

The 8 degree just sucks with both leds, and actually drops in lux from the 15. With the N219, the 15 degree does give a jump of almost 20% lux from the 25 degree, which is noticeable, but not stellar. To be fair to the mfg, they did wag their finger at me and said that these lenses are optimized for Seoul/Luxeon emitters, so we get what we get when using the Cree and Nichia. They don't have XML waterproof lenses ,and their XPG waterproof are hexagonal!

All the beamshots are in the can, and I'll post them as I get time today.

Also, while ordering more drivers, I saw that KD is now making their 3a board with a 50ma low in addition to the 5ma low board, so I got some of each. For those that are not moonlight fans, this might be the one for you. So far, the 1.5a board is only available with moonlight.

FIRST 4 DONE

Z-tab, hron61, Icehole (N219) and jd1911 are ready to ship.

Z-tab, hron61 and jd1911 need to pay the balance.

I have programming deposits from Z-tab, JD and flyback.

I have full payments from justanotherguy, slow2go, and Icehole.

PLEASE PLEASE put your CPF username in all paypal communications! Now I know why everyone says that on their sales threads...

Last edited:
As promised (a while ago): comparison shots of the two bezels (and two switches) mocked up.

bezelcomp1.jpg

bezelcomp2.jpg

BEAMSHOTS!

Some things to notice:
the 8 degrees is dim with both LEDs, and it has an annoying side ring that is really noticeable in use
the 15 works with the nichia, but not very well with the larger XML2
the 30 is like the 25, but lacks throw.
the 45 and 60 are really similar, but the 45 does have a bit more throw. They both have a surprising amount of throw actually, but at the cost of having almost no flood (see the sharp cutoff from the spill). They are pretty neat lenses, just realize that you will not have peripheral lighting.
the mule has less overall output than the other lenses, and no throw, but of course it is a mule.... It does have great peripheral flood!

N219

8 degrees
n219_08sm.jpg

15 degrees
n219_15sm.jpg

25 degrees
n219_25sm.jpg

30 degrees
n219_30sm.jpg

45 degrees
n219_45sm.jpg

60 degrees
n219_60sm.jpg

"mule" lens
n219_mulesm.jpg

XML2-5K

8 degrees
xml25k_08sm.jpg

15 degrees
xml25k_15sm.jpg

25 degrees
xml25k_25sm.jpg

30 degrees
xml25k_30sm.jpg

45 degrees
xml25k_45sm.jpg

60 degrees
xml25k_60sm.jpg

"mule" lens
xml25k_mulesm.jpg

Raze

Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots with the lenses.

Can you change mine from the 8 degree lens to 25 degree lens?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the interest psych. I'll be opening a new sales thread after I work out the kinks with production and move out the ones already on my plate. I'm in it for the long haul, but don't want to burn out with too many orders right now! I do have 2 reflectors that will work, but there are 2 issues. First, they are much longer than the optics, and second, they are harder to seal up and make bombproof like these optics are. I haven't given up though...

Ahh I didn't realize this run was filled - if possible please add me to the next run.

I'll try & keep an eye on this thread too but I don't want to miss the next one!

Z-Tab

Enlightened
:paypal:

Looking good, the beam shots and output numbers look great for a light this compact. Congrats on getting your first batch done!

JohnF

Enlightened
Paypal'd for my light, but may want to make a change - the 219 with the 45 degree looks so smooth / floody / I'd like your opinion on it vs. the 25 that I've ordered? Why does that 45 look so good? Ah, crap, the 219 is dim enough as it is, just make it the 25.

JohnF

Last edited:
Paypal'd for my light, but may want to make a change - the 219 with the 45 degree looks so smooth / floody / I'd like your opinion on it vs. the 25 that I've ordered? Why does that 45 look so good? Ah, crap, the 219 is dim enough as it is, just make it the 25.

JohnF

With the 219, I'd say the 45 and 60 are indoor lenses and are great for lighting up a room. The little nichia does not have enough ooomph to get the light out to the trees in my backyard. With the XML2, these lenses put out a flat wall of light outside that makes me smile. The only downside is the lack of flood to the side, but sometimes that is a good thing! I know when I was working with owls years ago these would have been the perfect lenses to find and track them up in the trees without distracting near-distance wash. As it was, I used a yellow 6v sealed beam - it was by far the brightest we had, and we called it "the sun". It also came with a shoulder strap and weighed like 5lbs. All for maybe 500 lumen...

Dadof6

Enlightened
I know I was the first to ask for the hd bezel on both, but I'd like one to be smooth. Hope this won't be a problem.

Rich

JohnF

Enlightened
With the 219, I'd say the 45 and 60 are indoor lenses and are great for lighting up a room. The little nichia does not have enough ooomph to get the light out to the trees in my backyard. With the XML2, these lenses put out a flat wall of light outside that makes me smile. The only downside is the lack of flood to the side, but sometimes that is a good thing! I know when I was working with owls years ago these would have been the perfect lenses to find and track them up in the trees without distracting near-distance wash. As it was, I used a yellow 6v sealed beam - it was by far the brightest we had, and we called it "the sun". It also came with a shoulder strap and weighed like 5lbs. All for maybe 500 lumen...

Last and final spec: change to 45 degree with XML2. That beam will make it perfect for looking for critters in my back yard. If the 60 degree has a sharper cut off than the 45 degree, make it the 60 degree, I'll leave it up to you which works best with the XML2, they look extremely close in beam width, so I'll want the one with the sharpest cut off (least spill).

Now, a couple more questions: you show a G2 twisty - available?
Programming - is 2 speed, LH possible? (instead of 3 speed, LMH)? Just curious.

John F

Last edited: