• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired New flashlight: The Copperhead [interest / description / sales] thread

As these lights are starting to ship, if you are having problems with flattop cells, remember that there is a rubber bumper that protects button top cells from impact. You can remove this with a pencil or something. the 3a lights will not have this bumper because there is a ring of epoxy covered 7135s that perform the same function!

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I can add an idea/suggestion
A smooth twisty copper tailcap with enough room for an 18650 but shorter than a clicky would be pretty amazing.

Not sure how hard it is to get the proper threading etc.

I'm using an L2M with a zero Rez shorty that gives enough extra space for an 18500.

Oh yeah - and u should try a dedomed emitter behind the optic (usually works great)

If I can add an idea/suggestion
A smooth twisty copper tailcap with enough room for an 18650 but shorter than a clicky would be pretty amazing.

Not sure how hard it is to get the proper threading etc.

I'm using an L2M with a zero Rez shorty that gives enough extra space for an 18500.

Oh yeah - and u should try a dedomed emitter behind the optic (usually works great)

I'm definitely going to order a zero-res for myself to check it out, but I don't really want to be in the business of supplying everything - there are many fine CPF sponsor shops that offer parts. Same with the g2 tailcap - I like it, but you will have to source that yourself. Likewise, I will probably play with dedoming some LEDs, but I've never done it, and my understanding is that it can have a high failure rate. I can definitely see how I could up the efficiency with them. There was a copper tailcap for sale a while back that I was thinking hard about - again for my personal use... for now...

Last and final spec: change to 45 degree with XML2. That beam will make it perfect for looking for critters in my back yard. If the 60 degree has a sharper cut off than the 45 degree, make it the 60 degree, I'll leave it up to you which works best with the XML2, they look extremely close in beam width, so I'll want the one with the sharpest cut off (least spill).

Now, a couple more questions: you show a G2 twisty - available?
Programming - is 2 speed, LH possible? (instead of 3 speed, LMH)? Just curious.

John F

I'll leave it you you to source the twisty - Oveready has them....
Sorry, I can't do LH with this driver. I can do HM if you want to do away with moonlight. here are the programming options

As for lenses, I think you would be most happy with the 45 for wide angle wildlife spotting. Here are some outdoor beamshots that I took, all with the same (over) exposure. This is a dogwood that is about 30m from me. 27mm equivalent focal length. All with XML2

Notice again the overall dim beam on the 8, 15, and 30 lenses. The 25 has the best hotspot for the XML2. The 45 is a nice even wall of light with little spill, and the 60 has a very similar beam, but with more spill (you can see the beehives to the lower left)

8 degrees
dogwood_xml2_08.jpg

15 degrees
dogwood_xml2_15.jpg

25 degrees
dogwood_xml2_25.jpg

30 degrees
dogwood_xml2_30.jpg

45 degrees
dogwood_xml2_45.jpg

60 degrees
dogwood_xml2_60.jpg

Last edited:

JohnF

Enlightened
I'll leave it you you to source the twisty - Oveready has them....
Sorry, I can't do LH with this driver. I can do HM if you want to do away with moonlight. here are the programming options

As for lenses, I think you would be most happy with the 45 for wide angle wildlife spotting. Here are some outdoor beamshots that I took, all with the same (over) exposure. This is a dogwood that is about 30m from me. 27mm equivalent focal length. All with XML2

Notice again the overall dim beam on the 8, 15, and 30 lenses. The 25 has the best hotspot for the XML2. The 45 is a nice even wall of light with little spill, and the 60 has a very similar beam, but with more spill (you can see the beehives to the lower left)

Very helpful. The 45 degree optic is what I want along with the XML2. For programming please use the "Med /High / Aux1" (aux1 being 2hz. blink)

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
My Copperhead has arrived!

I'm running it on an 18350 with a Reverse Clicky from a black Solarforce L2P. Brightness and tint are excellent, looking forward to nighttime so I can take it outside (25 degree, 219).

Here's a shot with a couple of other one cell lights (Ti Mac's Knurly and V10R Ti). It's a little bit longer with the tailcap I'm using, but good size and the copper gives it a good, solid weight in the hand.

bftQdz9.jpg

Great work, Daniel! I hope to see more creations from you in the future! I might need to pick up a 60 degree XM-L2 to go with this one.

Freaker

Newly Enlightened
I don't know anything about optic flashlights. When you say dim beam on the 8 degree optic, does that mean the flood is brighter with less light going to the beam?

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Dan, I believe I am up very soon.

Confirming my order.

lightcycle1, 9, Smoothy, Optic-FOV 25, XML2 5k, KD 1520, 123 size, Extra 123 Tube, Clip, Shrouded Clicky, LMH, N Memory, $72

I am assuming "N Memory" means normal memory. I do want the light to retain the last setting used if that's what's considered normal memory.

Off to paypal you in full.....

Thank you Dan.

*paypal in* $72

Last edited:

flyback

Newly Enlightened
"N MEMORY" probably means No Memory because there is a "Y MEMORY" which I would assume means Yes Memory...

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Welp we need to change that to a big Y then....LOL

I think I specified to include memory a few posts ago...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi dan, i dont see the sales thread updated to reflect my pp payment sent on the 31st, hope it went through ok?

My Copperhead has arrived!

I'm running it on an 18350 with a Reverse Clicky from a black Solarforce L2P. Brightness and tint are excellent, looking forward to nighttime so I can take it outside (25 degree, 219).

Here's a shot with a couple of other one cell lights (Ti Mac's Knurly and V10R Ti). It's a little bit longer with the tailcap I'm using, but good size and the copper gives it a good, solid weight in the hand.

bftQdz9.jpg

Great work, Daniel! I hope to see more creations from you in the future! I might need to pick up a 60 degree XM-L2 to go with this one.

Thanks for the impressions Z-tab! I'm all wobbly just seeing my flashlight next to a Mac....

I don't know anything about optic flashlights. When you say dim beam on the 8 degree optic, does that mean the flood is brighter with less light going to the beam?

If you check out post 134, you will see that the 8 degree optic loses about 10% in lumens compared to the better lenses. That is the total light output. It also has less lux - that is the intensity of the hotspot. some of that lost light goes to a spill ring which is not very useful, but I don't know where the rest goes - eventually into heat because it is not leaving the lens! If it had good flood with a dim hotspot that would be OK, because some folks like that type of output - but it doesn't :(.

"N MEMORY" probably means No Memory because there is a "Y MEMORY" which I would assume means Yes Memory...

This is correct -thanks.

Post 2 has been updated. hron, yours goes out on Monday. Sorry I could not get it out before the weekend.

Most of the holdup now is waiting on drivers and XML2s. I can't find cool white (1c) right now, they seem to be backordered everywhere. If anyone has a line on them at a decent price let me know! As the current orders get filled I can up the quantity of parts that I order so that the supply chain gets more reliable. I have over 100 sinkpads and lenses, and have plenty of Nichias on hands and drivers coming for all the orders.

Thanks, Dan