New Headlamp User

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have a ZL H51 and while it is somewhat floody, it has reasonable throw for a compact 1xAA light. Are you possibly confusing it with the H51F or H501 lights that are much floodier ?

I also have a Petzl XP2 (my wife found it while walking our dogs). It doesn't feel as robust as my ZLs, the batteries are much more difficult to replace, the battery compartment isn't at all water resistant, and the slide-up diffuser is obviously easy to break (it was broken when she found it). It also starts on Hi rather tham Med, the opposite of what I prefer. All in all, while it is fine for a freebie, but I don't think I'd buy one with my money.

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gregozedobe and ryguy2400 for the added info. I'll be heading to a store to actually take a physical look at the XP2 and the Storm. I've been learning more and more about stated runtimes vs. actual runtimes as per robo's suggestion-what a difference. It appears that the XP2 has a better ability to run on high than the Storm. Am looking for reviews that provide real-world usage.

The runtime is kind of important because I don't like going through batteries quickly. Don't know much about rechargeables, but I would imagine I might use rechargeables in either of these lights to minimize landfill waste and save on money.

Anyone have any feedack on this light? It's not regulated but caught my attention:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/uploads/files/110/VIZION-SPORT-USA-WEB.pdf

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime is kind of important because I don't like going through batteries quickly.

I'm really kinda curious what you intend on using this light for - you only seem to care what the runtimes are on max?

I'm a camper and will use my lights for hours continuously in the pitch black so runtimes are very, very important to me and why I love lights with good low low lumen modes (which are plenty bright after your eyes are night-adjusted). If you're concerned about runtimes, I think you'll also find yourself trying and use your lowest lumen levels as much as possible... But all these plastic headlamps made by the camping/climbing companies always seem to start out on high a) making you wince/squint until b) you cycle to the energy-conserving lows, c) their lows are never low enough and still spoil your night vision d) all the while burning more batts than necessary, and e) using the inefficient, PITA, multiple-battery format, and usually AAA!

I was just in a high-end camping store with a whole display of Petzl and Black Diamond and I ask the salesperson to show me one light that started out in (or remembered) low.... they couldn't! And now I see Black Diamond is using their ramping program to get to low - so now you HAVE to wait the 2-3 sec to get to low from turn-on? I have an BD Apollo lantern like that... it sucks!

I agree with BOwz3r and Gregozedobe that any of these plastic headlamps are just garbage next to the ZL. (As mentioned above I have at least a half-dozen Petzls and BD's wasting away in a bin since I've found out about 4Sevens and Zebralight.) I still check the camping stores to see how they're advancing, and am sorry to say, definitely not for my camping needs.

Good luck on your quest.

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
The intent of use for the headlamp is primarily for walking the dog and night camping as well as hiking. The bright spot I've found to be very useful over time (with my flashlight) because I need to spot loose dogs and racoons far off in the distance before we're on top of them. This happened to me once and I don't want to repeat that adventure. I want plenty of light to see what's ahead of me so I can make executive decisions in advance. I agree that the low lumens is essential for camping and arguably even night hikes for the most part as my eyes adjust well and require only a bit of light to illuminate my path.

I agree with rappans regarding the start-up of the BD and Petzl lights. It is ridiculous that they start at high. I just looked at the Petzl XP2 at a store and was impressed with the compact form but still wonder about long-term durability.

I see a lot of positive write-ups about the Zebra Lights. Is the runtime decent though? The specs indicate that the Hi setting would only be good for less than an hour. At that rate I'd be changing out batteries every other walk. Thanks for everyone's time. I'm getting there!

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Sounds like you are a flashaholic with some hand helds. Use those to spot your dogs.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you are a flashaholic with some hand helds. Use those to spot your dogs.
Agreed. Best solution is to carry a throwy handheld and have a headlamp for baggy-duty as well. While I find a headlamp indispensable for things like camping and dog walking (I take my wife's poodle out most nights for his bed time potty break), having a handheld is essential too.

I actually don't like using my headlamp for hiking, honestly. I much prefer a handheld for general hiking and night walking because using a headlamp for seeing farther away gives me bad tunnel vision. I usually only use my headlamp when I either need my hands free, or only need short range vision. Otherwise, I prefer a handheld.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I see a lot of positive write-ups about the Zebra Lights. Is the runtime decent though? The specs indicate that the Hi setting would only be good for less than an hour. At that rate I'd be changing out batteries every other walk. Thanks for everyone's time. I'm getting there!

Yes, a ZL h51 on H1 will only go about 45 minutes (see the review by Selfbuilt in the link below).

The problem is that a single AA eneloop can only store a limited amount of energy, which can only drive an LED so high for so long. ZLs are one of the most efficient lights around, so you won't find much better output & runtime in any other brand. So your choices are somewhat limited:
1 You can accept the fact that you will need to carry a spare AA battery and change it when needed.
2 You can run at lower light levels (eg H2 or M1 or M2) so the single AA eneloop battery lasts longer.
3 You look for different lights with more battery capacity eg 2xAA or 1x18650 (you will find more choices in normal flashlights than with headlamps)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...views-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS&highlight=zebralight

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well dog walking and camping are two primary uses for my lights too (don't like to hike in the dark though). However, I again like low lumens (around 4) to walk the dog... well, cause I rather not be too obvious when my dog chooses to **** on other people's property. There's lots of deer around, and about once a week we come across a herd... I blast them with 100-200 lumens when I hear the rustling, but that's about it. I find 20-30 lumens just fine for quick perimeter scan and it doesn't fry my night vision too bad, but for most part I just use 4 on my Quark with the dog.

I took a look at the specs on the Petzl XP2. First, you can't compare runtimes at max when one's 200 lumens and the other 60 lumens. Second, Petzl is claiming 80 hours at Max from 3xAAA ? :crackup: Well, I guess that's not exactly lying since they never say "80 hrs @ 60 lumens"..... you understand the non-regulated game these guys play, right?

I've personally never tested the runtimes on my Petzls and Black Diamonds, but my memory is that I've always been disappointed with their runtimes (and I mostly use low) as the batt indicators go red, or they have dimmed to the point of being unusable, despite the 3xAAA or 2xAA configs. Conversely, I'm always kind of impressed that my 1xAA Quark or Zebralight is still going.

I think the camping/climbing companies should leave the lighting to the flashlight companies.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i think you should read up more about the differences between alkaline and Eneloop batteries. and about the differences between regulated and un-regulated lights. those things majorly impact the real world behavior of headlamps, and you should know more about that stuff if you want to make an informed decision on the best headlamp for you. right now, it sounds like you don't really know.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a good example of what "unregulated" means...

Go to BD's site and look at the Storm HERE. Then clicked on the box "More Tech Info." There's a little chart that says maximum is good for 100 lumens, 50 hours, 70 meters. Then next to it, it shows the illuminated distance at maximum at various points in time:

00:00H - 70m
00:30H - 57m (wow... starts dropping off hard in 30mins... w/4xAAA :whistle:)
10:00H - 9m
30:00H - 7m

Btw, min, or 4 lumens, says 3m...

Then look what retailers like REI quotes as runtimes for Max...HERE. They even say "regulated." This borders on fraud :thumbsdow.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my 1xAAA Preon Revo SS might outperform that Storm at Max.....NiMh or Alk.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, selfbuilt's review says the Preon Revo runs for an hour on a Eneloop and half an hour on a alkaline. i'm pretty sure the Storm can beat that.

Well I see that as more of a tie then.

BD says at 00:30 it's dropped to 57m, and (57m/70m)x100 lumens = 81 lumens. That's the crossover point with the Revo's regulated maximum. Anything longer than half an hour and both on Alks are falling a below 82 lumens.

BTW, I understand that 4/7s quotes OTF lumens..... I'd be willing to bet that BD's are emitter lumens... kinda like how they quote 50hrs runtime on Max :sssh:.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
BD says at 00:30 it's dropped to 57m, and (57m/70m)x100 lumens = 81 lumens. That's the crossover point with the Revo's regulated maximum. Anything longer than half an hour and both on Alks are falling a below 82 lumens.

BTW, I understand that 4/7s quotes OTF lumens..... I'd be willing to bet that BD's are emitter lumens... kinda like how they quote 50hrs runtime on Max :sssh:.

the Storm drives 400mA at the LED so the 100 lumen number is probably OTF. and at about 80% efficiency, should run for about 2 and a half hours on a set of Eneloops. that easily outlasts the Preon Revo.

BD's numbers are based on ANSI standards. i think ANSI lumens are OTF lumens. ANSI runtimes are a bit more dubious since it measures down to 10% or initial output.

i don't own a Storm, have no vested interest in how it performs. i don't think it makes sense to just assume the worst about something without really finding out more info about. even going by BD's info, we don't know what happened in their test between 30 minutes and 10 hours. for all we know, output may have stabilized there for another hour before it started to decline like it did in this Princeton Tec Eos test. it could have just kept on dropping too i suppose. point being, either could be true.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... fair enough.... point taken.

Guess I'm just spoiled by the disappointment of owning a bunch of these plastic headlamps and the continual marketing hype I read like "50 hrs runtime on Max."

Here's my wasted money, at least what I could find at the moment. (Actually that's too harsh, they're still useful around the house, and near my battery charger, but they're definitely not worth taking camping for me anymore.)

6910464631_92dca818b7_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Here's my wasted money, at least what I could find at the moment. (Actually that's too harsh, they're still useful around the house, and near my battery charger, but they're definitely not worth taking camping for me anymore.)
Just out of curiosity (as I have recently purchased one on the basis of recommendations here on CPF), what don't you like about the Black Diamond Lantern ?