New Headlamp

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
This looks absolutely awesome!!! I also agree with self-watt's ideas of having a medium (and even low) level for the spot beam. This way, you could have a cross between a zebralight for the flood, and a handheld torch for more throw, all in one package! Might I add also, if you are pretty set on having the "boost" option for the spot beam, you could have a separate button for it (similar to the tikka xp) that you could access from any level, and still keep a low-med-hi button separately to access the spot beam on the side. If you wanted the sos function too, you could use that "boost" or "extra function" button (could be put in the middle of the flood and spot buttons) and use it for the sos feature for the flood beam. So in conclusion, keep the low-med-high option for the flood AND spot beams and possibly have a 3rd button in the middle for spot "boost" and flood "sos" (though not needed but I think a good idea:whistle:) Just my two cents:thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
lots of neat ideas here. I think I'll go ahead and weigh in here in agreement with much of what has been said with a few thoughts added about the power supply:

Separate switches for separate LEDs in this design is a must. They need to be easy to locate, with good tactile feel, but positioned such that they aren't likely to be activated/damaged by bumping your head against a rock. Consider that headlamps are often used with gloves on, thick gloves should not make it impossible to operate the switches. (I often use headlamps while out in the snow working on things, like say, snow-blowing the driveway.)

With decent heat-sinking a ~3W mode is definitely possible and should be available. As far as the number of modes available, everyone has their own preference of course, Personally I like 3 modes for lights with "1W" high setting and 4 modes for those with "3+W" high settings.

For 4 mode regulation I like the following very approximate distribution:
~800mA(~200 lumen? ~3200mW), ~250mA(~75 lumen? ~800mW), ~75mA(~25 lumen? ~200mW), ~20mA(~7 lumen? ~50mW)

The idea with this type of layout is that it makes calculating runtimes "in the head" to get a rough idea is much easier. Each mode uses approximately 4X the wattage more or less than the mode next to it. (The numbers in the example above are rough interpretations of the cree specifications charts that will certainly be different on different Vin Bins and such so would have to be adjusted accordingly.)... So if you are using say, a 6AA eneloop pack, You can assume about 2 hours runtime with both LEDs on high. Then you can just multiply out for a rough estimate of runtime on lower modes. 1 LED on high, 4 hours, 16 hours on med-high, 64 hours on med-low, 256 hours on low. (assuming the regulator is reasonably efficient on all modes, a good PWM should be above 90% approaching 99% in most circumstances as I understand.) Calculating for running 2 LEDs on the same mode you simply halve the estimated runtime.

Now I'd like to point out my thoughts on power sources... Making a light that can run on BOTH a 2xAA source on the head and a larger (assuming higher voltage) pack externally can be difficult because you need to provide both voltage boosting and bucking capabilities to the circuit., IMO a good headlamp is an efficient headlamp, using input voltages ABOVE the Vin of the LED and bucking them down is the most efficient way to drive an LED as I understand. IMO the lowest "ideal" voltage source for driving LEDs is 4 NIMH/ALK/NICD cells. Even then some regulators will drop out of regulation on high before the cells are depleted because many PWM regulators need ~0.5-1V above the Vout in order to stay in regulation. Anyways, most people serious about a serious performing headlamp are going to be ok with a 4AA head pack, but keep in mind that a compact 2xCR123 would do pretty well and be more compact (providing around an hour of output on 2xhigh). IMO though, for headlamps in this power class, larger power sources are a must for any sort of long-term use on higher levels. Consider 4xC, 6xAA, 4x18650 (protected cells only)....

Now... others have mentioned that if you can't make "high" a selectable continuous output, don't bother, don't mess around with "turbo" modes that are temporary. "Turbo" modes are cheesy and not practical in the field. Figure out what the highest practical mode is that you can dissipate heat for on your design and make that the high, even if it's only 350mA per LED. As other have said, no strobes or SOSs, strobes and SOS modes will simply get in the way and be a nuisance.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
What mdocod said about having the power levels all four times [current wise] apart is a very good idea. I also second his idea about not having a temporary turbo mode and just using the highest setting that you can with regard to heat disipation.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
angleofwar,

Thank you very much for the response. The light will be AA based (optimized for NiMH and/or Li-Ion Rechargeables), but the current plan is two cells with belt-clip power packs available. Why exactly do you prefer a single cell?

Some responses:
~Fear not, no colored LEDs here - we don't see the need.
~Both switches are on top, left and right. This is no fancy-looking light, designed for functionality.
~The throwing chip may have more than one setting, but no more than two, and they will both be bright. The rationality a second setting is that the highest may not be sustainable due to decreased efficiency or heat problems.
~Waterproof? Check.

Thanks very much!

Keep the comments coming everyone!

The single cell...It's just easier...you just have to switch them out more often...either one's fine, as long as the battery pack is solid, and low profile (ditto on not having the "belt clip BTW) but I like it best when you said "functionality"...A black box on your head with two lights and two switches...done...forget all the twirly-gig crap. And the two settings on the "throw" LED wouldn't be bad...3 is when they start getting annoying...but as you explained it in this thread, I would definitely buy one (or two...or three...hey, this is CPF, right?):rock:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Another thought just came to mind:
(hopefully this hasn't been mentioned already)...

For the spot beam, use a lens/optical device that produces ONLY a spot beam and nothing more (minimal or no spill). These are ideal because they can generate massive throw from relatively small sizes. the idea being here that one can actually choose not to have any flood at all if that is what one wants, there are situations where trying to spot something off in the distance can be made much easier if you have NO flood around you, the excess light in the flood from common reflector beams can cause your eyes to adjust "down" so that things off in the distance are harder to see. Being able to really "hone in" on the perfect spot beam and flood beam combined would really be NICE!

Ordinarily I HATE these types of focusing optics on flashlights because I prefer the spill-beam to be there for 90% of tasks, but in a headlamp where you could control both the spot and spill being able to isolate the spot beam would be amazing!

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
make a zebralight (1aa) form but with a push button on/off, half click low/high modes. with ssc p4 and some kind of optic for med throw.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll jump back in and put in my thoughts after thinking this over for the day.

2 switches is very good. Being able to run both at the same time is an absolute must. So may other headlamps fail because of this. They have (after I've modded them) good throw from the primary, and good flood from 5mm LEDs but I can't turn both on at the same time. :banghead: So I like where things are going with this light. :thumbsup:

My opinion is there need only be 2 settings on each LED. Low and High. Though I could take a very low for ~5 lumens as mdocod suggested.
From the example of only low and high you have 8 different possible modes.
Low flood
Low throw
Low flood and throw
High flood
High throw
Low flood and High throw
Low throw and High flood
High flood and High throw

And the beauty of this setup with 2 switches is that you don't have to click 8 times to cycle modes.

I also agree that a turbo mode is more of a gimmick than an actual useful function. I don't like the Petzl LED headlamps with this function.
Keep it simple. No flashes/sos is fine by me, as is no additional 5mm colored LEDs... even though I personally want both features in a headlamp. Leaving the turbo out simplifies things more.

Let the thrower throw as hard as it can. Its just going to throw with less runtime if we're flooding hard too. And (again) I agree with mdocod that using a very tight beam is useful. In rain, snow, fog - the more flood we get, the less visibility we actually have. This is extremely amplified by a headlamp being that the light source is so near our eyes. Eliminating backscatter would be great.

I'll have to make sure I have a lot of money saved up for a couple of these headlamps this spring.
:sold:

Daekar

Enlightened
Another thought just came to mind:
(hopefully this hasn't been mentioned already)...

For the spot beam, use a lens/optical device that produces ONLY a spot beam and nothing more (minimal or no spill). These are ideal because they can generate massive throw from relatively small sizes. the idea being here that one can actually choose not to have any flood at all if that is what one wants, there are situations where trying to spot something off in the distance can be made much easier if you have NO flood around you, the excess light in the flood from common reflector beams can cause your eyes to adjust "down" so that things off in the distance are harder to see. Being able to really "hone in" on the perfect spot beam and flood beam combined would really be NICE!

Ordinarily I HATE these types of focusing optics on flashlights because I prefer the spill-beam to be there for 90% of tasks, but in a headlamp where you could control both the spot and spill being able to isolate the spot beam would be amazing!

This is an EXCELLENT point, one that I hope you take to heart. If you have a spill-less and flood-less optic, not only does that mean that your pupils won't shrink in response to light close up, you can also eliminate the flood/spill to help with light reflection in poor visibility conditions and get the same throw for less current to the emitter, and thus longer runtime. This setup makes perfect sense - because you always have the option of turning on the flood beam if you want flood! Plus, there's always the efficiency bonus of under-driving the emitters...

If I could design a headlamp myself, it would be a combination of my PT Apex and my Zebralight H50: Tough. Waterproof. Approximately the physical user-interface of the Apex, with off-low-med-high-off settings for both throw and flood (more on UI below). Two Cree emitters, one with a spill-less optic as described by mdocod just above, one with a total-flood emitter like the Zebralight with one difference, the current Zebralight is a 120 degree circle. I would make the output elliptical: keep the 120 degree horizontal angle and decrease the vertical angle to 75-90 degrees or so. This should keep your peripheral vision good but prevent quite so much light from going into the sky, and result in slightly higher lux readings for any given drive level (more brightness/runtime).

Batteries: I have chosen 2 battery options to base my light collection on: AA and 18650. AAs because they're common, small, have decent energy density, and are available in various chemistry options - I use Eneloops in literally every AA light I have except my ROP, but would use Energizer lithiums for backpacking. I chose 18650s because of their LSD, energy density, and size... unless you're putting out a lot of power, you only need one to run the light. I'm hoping to see a light like the one you're describing available in 2AA and 1x18650, both with the battery on the forehead, with the possible option of a 6xAA or 8xAA and 3x18650(3p) or 4x18650(2s2p) belt pack.

Brightness: You've probably figured out by now that the Apex and the H50 are the lights to beat. The Apex is versatile but crude in comparison to the simply elegant execution of the H50, particularly in one main way: the light levels. The light levels in the H50 seem to take into account the logarithmic way the eye perceives light, and so the three levels (three are DEFINITELY needed when the highest gets only 2 hours of runtime) are arranged such that there is a marked difference between each one. Low is quite low, for those times when you don't need much light - medium is brighter, for those times when you need more than just a few lumens but still don't need much, and high is pretty darn bright! The nature of the beam prevents it from reaching out too far into the night, but at the distances its intended to be used everything is evenly lit-up like the light of day. I hope your engineers purchase/use an H50 when considering drive levels and beam qualities. The brightness of the throw emitter will be slightly harder to pin down, but I feel that it too should have three settings - that way the flood and throw can be used together based on the light and runtime needs of the task at hand. Sometimes flood by itself isn't enough, you need just a little throw - but not much, so you put flood on medium and throw on medium. Maybe you want to use throw primarily, and just have the flood on low to keep you from tripping on your own feet or walking into a spiderweb, rock, or hole. Maybe you want as much as you can get of both and put both on high - or maybe you want the runtime offered by low with the versatility offered by both flood and throw on low. In order to make the throw emitter worth having it needs to be good enough to negate the need for a second light for throw.

Buttons: Three buttons, one for flood, one for throw, and one for "both." Position them so they can't be mistaken for each other - flood right-bottom, throw left-bottom, and "both" in the middle-top. All operate low-med-high-low-med-high-low-etc. Hold any button to turn off the associated beam regardless of current power level. Like the Apex, put some kind of easily identifiable tactile form on each button to make it identifiable by touch. This would mean that if you wanted both beams on medium, from off you press the "both" button twice. If you wanted flood on low and throw on high, you press either flood once and throw three times, or "both" once and throw twice. If you wanted flood on high and throw on low, you press either throw once and flood three times, or "both" once and flood twice.

Beam-alignment: It occurs to me that one of the essential elements that makes the H50 great is that it can be rotated in its mounting to direct that flood beam so it's placed just as you like it. The Apex also has a hinge which allows the same function. This new light would be much less user-friendly if it didn't have something to allow for the same kind of adjustment. The question is, are the two beams going to be independently adjustable? If they are sensibly aligned relative to each-other during the design/testing process, it may be that independently-swiveling beams isn't necessary - but it would be VERY nice. Some people may want to adjust the flood beam to illuminate their feet as they walk with the throw beam higher for longer-range objects, but some others may want the throw-beam centered in the flood beam (cavers?). As small a detail as it might seem, I think it might be the difference between a good headlamp and a great one.

Hope my input was helpful... :thumbsup:

EDIT: Was just reading through to make sure I didn't miss anything and I did. Please please please take mdocod's advice and dispense with "turbo" modes, strobes, or any other such foolishness. Those are for torches, not headlamps. Even if that weren't the case, I imagine it would be worth eliminating the turbo mode just to avoid customer complaints about overheating or damaged lamps...
Now... others have mentioned that if you can't make "high" a selectable continuous output, don't bother, don't mess around with "turbo" modes that are temporary. "Turbo" modes are cheesy and not practical in the field. Figure out what the highest practical mode is that you can dissipate heat for on your design and make that the high, even if it's only 350mA per LED. As other have said, no strobes or SOSs, strobes and SOS modes will simply get in the way and be a nuisance.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Green LED,
One switch for flood - one click low, one medium, one high, one off (timed, so that if you are working in one mode for more than two seconds, it goes immediately to OFF rather than changing modes. One switch for throw - on/off, momentary boost. It really shouldn't be too difficult to figure out once it's in your hands.

We have a very solid plan as far as the construction and design, and a strong framework for the electronics. I'm sorry, but I can't go into more detail than I already am in responding to people's inquiries. I am not a "put your suggestion in, and get your headlamp out" machine. I am only trying to gather feedback and am simultaneously looking for those few and far between great ideas. It seems pretty frequent that a light will roll out, it will be liked, but there will be some movement for change - often enough, the manufacturer delivers. Wouldn't it be nice to get this is as right as possible from the start? CPFers can be a very esoteric bunch, and we keep that in mind designing a light for the masses, but we certainly aren't going to write off their input - who knows more than them about lights?

Excellent! I like that approach much better. For a minute I thought you were asking for our "wish list", and you know the kitchen sink will be on it.

FWIW, I pretty much agree with half-watt and what his uses are and what he's saying. Along those lines, I'm not sure I like the default 2 second auto-off either. I can see circumstances where I'd want both beams on.

Not sure how to balance that, though. Maybe program a "warning blink" for the secondary mode (whichever gets turned on second)? Input from the user (click) would restart the timer. I'll leave it at that 'cuz it's bound to get complicated and it sounds like you have already thought about some of these things.

:popcorn:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 with what Daeker says.

The small battery pack on the head would be for short time use and as a back up.

If you use good connectors (plenty in the RC community) one could use several different packs to wear on the body/in a pocket or where the user would prefer.

2 switches and the option to have both lamps on at the same time would be best:D

Thanks for asking for input.

Sverre

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to satisfy all (I prefer 3 AA in rear), I--were I a designer--would spec out a single AA cell in the head lamp, wired to a removable 2 AA pack in rear with removable middle strap. (This would allow 1.5 volt or 3 cell 4.5 volt. This would allow a feeling of extreme light and balanced feel in the 3 cell mode, or a super light and portable 1 AA mode.) I also would include two posts (with covers) that one could alligator clip a 6v toolbelt battery pack onto. (I don't prefer proprietary attachments, since a 6 volt lead acid battery might work fine for some people.)

This would take a sofisticated controller for to handle a wide range of voltage power.

Personally don't think boost controllers are ever efficient. http://www.prc68.com/I/LED.shtml I throw lights out that don't get 9-12 hours of good light. I prefer a tight beam as human eye can only focus on 3 inch diameter circle anyway. [Details, though, is my profession.] Flood has its place, but is generally too inefficient for a mere battery powered machine.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
My suggestions for your super headlamp:

1.5/1.2 AA battery pack has all batteries in 'parallel' to get the most out,
and cut out uneven drain due to differences in internal impedence.
-you'd have the option to use only 1 or more cells depending on need
without changing to a different pack!!!

Suggest a 2AA pack, parallel arrangement. ie 1.5/1.2volt output for long
runtimes with an optional 2AA add-on(sort of a snap on mating thing) to the
back of the head- total of 4AA on the back of the head.

Flood beam must not light up my nose! (very distracting)
Flood beam should light the whole map I'm holding at arms length and not my biceps.- (wastful) Try to talk to someone who's
wearing a Zebra HL and you'll know how annoying that kind of flood is. He can be looking 89degrees away from you and its still blinding

Flood beam -lo,med,hi
Spot beam - hi,med, very lo

Cheers!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the AA based power source, and that it is expandable for increased burn time.

I'm liking the dual-emmitter setup. No more diffusers/filters to break/breakoff.

Make the batteries easy to change out.

I agree with half-watt regarding the spot beam. Two levels are fine, but make it medium and high/turbo vs. high and turbo. Assuming that runtime is important, medium powered spot is almost always preffered in a wide open setting with dark, light absorbing surroundings. You would need a pretty high powered flood to get good feedback outside of 15 feet.

I like the low-med-high order for the flood.

Make sure both light sources can be adjusted/tilted up and down. Independant adjustment might be nice, but not a necessity.

Consider a shroud positioned above the flood emitter. At least when I'm talking with someone, I can tilt the headlamp downward, and the shroud may help from keeping the glare out of their eyes.

Keeping it lightweight and balanced is important. The lighter it is, the less important the balance becomes.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestions for your super headlamp:

Suggest a 2AA pack, parallel arrangement. ie 1.5/1.2volt output for long
runtimes with an optional 2AA add-on(sort of a snap on mating thing) to the
back of the head- total of 4AA on the back of the head.

Flood beam must not light up my nose!

This might just work. 4 AA with 2 in back with 10-12 hour run time, with option to run only 2 AA.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what range?

At any range-in a sense. As you get farther from a your writing, you can't really focus at all, instead you need bigger letters to make out what is there. Thus you also need a torch that can throw farther, and even a narrow beam widens as you get further to mimic the range of view. In extreme close up even, you still need eye jumps to read, else one jump per paragraph. How many eye jumps did you use to read each line of the above? This also explains why "Where's Waldo and Mona Lisa " work. Why often we can't find things right infront of our eyes. Detail work you need as much lux as at least equal to daylight. I contend the eye to be tuned to daylight level of lux to be at peak. We live in a tunnel vision world, except to see vague colors, shapes, and movement at the edges. But movement at the periphery can be critical in some lines of endevor, as in police work or riding a bike.

At any rate, this is off topic and I won't defend a narrow beam preference further. And I concede, flood is important for many people. I do think it over valued by some that don't understand how the eye jumps about and focuses as acutely as possible to attempt a grasp on any object whether 1 foot away or 10 foot away.

I haven't attempted yet any activity at night that needs a flood. Instead, I use lamps 10 hours straight for detail work, while being mobile. I just prefer a narrow beam for max lux available--not yet happy with 50 lumen light lux--and use a wrist light that can quickly sweep about for finding things I laid on the ground, adding some peripherial vision.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shakehead

Did you notice your answer is about angular resolution, not a three inch diameter anything.

What time of day? Do we lose all detail if it gets cloudy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight#Definition
Interesting Link. Thanks.

As a matter of fact, yes, I do require headlamps when painting outside within half hour of sundown, else too many skips (all ages of helpers). Yes, headlamps can help outside on a cloudy day. Yes, too much light from too many angles can reduce textural perception, even color washout on a sunny day requires rose colored (best color in tests so far) driving glasses (prefer gradient). Yes, on a four 500 watt halogen setup a good tight 40 lumen lux head lamp adds significant light to a wall, while on a cloudy day-on shadey side of any house- it can offer little contrast to a wall when outside (a demonstration of the huge difference in lux between man's light and the sun, and the need for head lamps even when using best halogen light setup.) Off topic, but all facts and observations that need go into choice for most efficient battery operated lighting (I conclude need for tight beam for current battery capacity and bulb efficiencies, for best detail, as being overwhelmingly best choice for my occupation, and likely, for most people. A second wristlight can be used for quick sweep for looking for things laying about, and offering some more side vision, among other advantages it can offer any painter.)

My only concern is against shallow reflectors and short battery life trends. I only argue since I have thrown out many Dorcy 1 watt lights that can't pull out a textural flaw on a door fram at ten foot away after 1 hour of battery drop. (I also have thown one or two lights into garbage can a each Christmas/birthday that only have 2-4 hours runtime.) This-shallow reflector +short runtime- is a direction I don't wish the industry to go, especially as detail and distant vision is more like our own vision and useful in most real world situations.)

CanDo

Newly Enlightened
Big thanks to everyone who responded here. Your thoughts were all considered and the engineer is now working on a few them. We hope to have something for you in the spring/summer.

Latest posts