New Inova 2AAA LED penlight, model XP

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Ended up with a few jobs in dark attics today. The high setting on my Inova XP puts my Stylus Pro to shame, lol...

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I got mine a few days ago and I love it. The beam and brightness is perfect! I have come to find that 150 lumens in a floody beam is perfect for most everything. Then there is the 30 lumen low that works well too when you don't want too much light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it's still set up almost exactly right for me, & looks like it'd be higher quality than mine, just hardly anyone has one.

i figured Parnass would be required to get one at some point.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
About to look at the jil lite after checking out the Inova as a possible gift for a friend (still early in the decision process). Thanks for mentioning it, Leon.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
About to look at the jil lite after checking out the Inova as a possible gift for a friend (still early in the decision process). Thanks for mentioning it, Leon.

You're welcome, please remember to let me know if you ever pick one up & how you like it... via PM (sorry thought it wouldn't have been too far off topic to ask since op was already comparing vs. other penlights from the start anyway).

appliancejunk

Enlightened
A quick update on my Inova XP.
It's been my EDC flashlight for four months now.

I use it for short periods through out the work day for quick inspections.

At most I may leave it on for a 5-10 minute period on high, most of the time though it's just on for a few minutes. If I need it one longer then 5-10 minutes I will switch it back to low power.

Using Eneloop XX AAA batteries in it. Seems a set of batteries will last me about a 1.5 weeks on average, sometimes just one week and sometimes I can make it two weeks. I'm surprised at how long a set of batteries will last in it given the short one hour run time on high power.

The finish is really holding up well. Still new looking. Could not say the same about my Streamlight Stylus Pro after a few months of the same exact type of use.

I'm still surprised at the light output and get a lot of comments about how bright it is.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick update on my Inova XP.
It's been my EDC flashlight for four months now.
I'm still surprised at the light output and get a lot of comments about how bright it is

Thanks for the update. My XP still working well, too, though it doesn't see as much use as yours.

I still marvel at the slim, yet robust construction of the XP. It's a good looking light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP arrived Monday,my observations are in line with everyone else posting here.Typical solid INOVA build quality and anodizing that seems better than many other brands.The switch is stiff on mine as well and is difficult to operate one handed as a twisty.The momentary,however works better with the XP for me than it has with other INOVA X models and I will likely use it anyway.The XP is brighter than I expected,I was actually a little surprised. The low setting is not very "low" but thanks to parnass I know this is because I am using Energizer lithiums. I don't use alkalines in lights either because they leak so often.For my purposes I would prefer the XP to be single level as it will likely see most use as a companion EDC to a single cell light.I would also prefer a more neutral tint but knew I would get cool white with the current INOVAs.Like the XS the XP is one of the shorter lights in it's class,making it a possible EDC for me.Really nice form factor here,one the best lights INOVA currently offers IMHO.

Last edited:

jlomein

Enlightened
I'm liking my XP but the momentary switch requires some herculean thumb strength. Even the high mode setting on my dual momentary Surefire EB2 feels like it takes half the pressure in comparison.

Tried using a 10440 with dummy cell. The XP becomes single mode. Side by side with other lights, the 10440 makes the XP noticeably brighter. However, when swapping the 10440 with two alkalines (~15 second process) and comparing, I can't notice a difference. I'd estimate the 10440 makes it 10-15% brighter.

Also tried the dummy cell with one alkaline. Retains two modes, with each having a slight decrease in brightness. I wonder if this means the XP and XS both use the same driver?

Might retain this setup since I find the two alkaline low mode too bright, and it shaves some weight.

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Update: Been using my Inova XP flashlight 5 to 7 days a week for about ten months now.

I use it with Eneloop Pro batteries. It has never let me down and even though the batteries are not dead I put them in my BT-C2400 Battery Charger every two weeks.

One amazing penlight!

I have surprised so many people when I pull it out of my shirt pocket and turn it on, lol...
When a contractor ask if my partner or I have a flashlight my partner will point at me and say, "You should see how bright his flashlight is!" :D

My partner still uses a Streamlight Stylus Pro.

Most of the time I just use it on the high setting as I don't worry about the runtime anymore.
If I do use it on low it's when I'm viewing something up close and high is just to bright because of the reflection.

I could not be happier with my Inova XP

btw: I can easily work the twisty tail cap switch with just my thumb and finger well holding it in one hand.

Edited to add: I believe at 4.6 inches the Inova XP is still the shortest 2x AAA penlight currently on the market and maybe the only 2x AAA penlight that is under 5 inches.

IMHO being I carry the XP in my front shirt pocket the short length is a big plus.

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
For a milestone birthday, among other gifts that I gave to my sister, was not only an Inova XP and an XS but XPs for the whole family and an XP and XS for myself.

Liking 2xAAA for their sleek, sexy, easy to handle form and Inova for their strong build, good looks and their twistie with momentary, with the Inova XP's simple, two levels of 144/30 lumens that don't challenge AAA alkaline batteries..much, I think that the XP is an excellent flashlight for non-flashaholics...and flashaholics too. Similar in form but only 1xAAA small, I like the 80/11 lumens XS too.

I had all 7 flashlights, 5 XPs and 2 XSs, in my possession for about 36 hours and only a few hours to take beamshots (my first!) and other photos. In some of the photos, the flashlights are labeled I, N, O, V, A ,x and s.

IABhe1m.jpg

6oZd3TT.jpg

6qASJrt.jpg

With little clue as to what I was doing and how to best set the semi-automatic camera, the beamshots are of the lower of the XP's and XS's two levels with the camera set in an attempt to best capture the beams. Also, with no white walls, the beams were projected onto a not quite bleach white blanket unevenly suspended with stuff brushing up against the blanket from behind.

5OaHgNo.jpg

2b2Ngbu.jpg

There was consistency between the builds of the flashlights. They all looked and felt good with similar feeling twisties...The XSs were tougher to twist, though. BTW, the number printed inside the tube is not the serial number as 4 of the XPs had the same number, PA0315, with the outlier having PA0415 and both XSs shared the same number of PA0115. I think the number represents the manufacture date.

HIj4pei.jpg

Vc93pdv.jpg

While there was some variability between the beams, there was consistency there as well. Sure, some were a bit more focused (I, O), others a bit brighter (N), and some a little rosier in tint (I, N, V) than the others but all were white, bright and very usable. As a flashaholic, I choose what I felt to be the best flashaholic beam (I) with an evenness and symmetry across the spot, small corona and nice spill. But even as a flashaholic, I was satisfied with the build and beams of all the XPs and XSs. The overall brightest XP, by a small margin, with a larger spot (N) went to my sister.

rPgoWtE.jpg

Visible in the beamshots, as parnass described, battery type does seem make a difference on the lower level, particularly once NiMH settle in for the stretch. The XP's lower level is closer to a guestimated 15L rather than the claimed 30L. The first XP to the left (I), and the last XS to the right (s), the ones I chose for myself had NiMH batts. The rest had the supplied alkies. Perhaps the alkie in "x" was a bit "spent" or perhaps the NiMH in "s" was a little "hotter". On HIGH, though, "x" was a little brighter and a little floodier than "s". My sister received the brighter and floodier XS (x) as well.

tNm5eg1.jpg

Though not quite as floody, brighter with a larger spot and greater spill than the truly superb beam of my EDC, Fenix L1D, the XP's lack of tailstand prevents it from being my EDC...So, for now, I carry both. The XP's silent, short travel momentary, once in the hand, is a very quick "fire" (and off)....It's also just a lot more fun than the L1D with its reverse clickie.

The svelte feel of the XP's 2xAAA form makes even my already svelte Inova X1s feel chunky and my 2xAA flashlights feel large and heavy by comparison.

Lbq9lQt.jpg

y8PcpDU.jpg

vJcEYCd.jpg

Visible in some of the images are scratches in and near the "clip groove" of my XP (I) from the removed clip. Caring for neither clips, holsters/sheaths, lanyards, etc., preferring to just "stick the damn thing in my pocket", I had made several ill-fated attempts to remove the clip. Mostly, poor technique and, admittedly, a little laziness were the culprits. Using the flat head screwdriver that was within arms reach, I first attempted to pry the clip off, without damaging it, only to lift the clip enough to slide it out of the groove and "up" to the body of the flashlight. After several attempts, with the clip bent and then broken, I, more aggressively, used needle-nosed pliers with the bottom "jaw" wedged inside the "elbow" of the clip and peeled it off as if opening a can of sardines or peeling a banana. My earlier failed attempts surely created some scratches but I don't know if the "peeling" motion did.

Well built, sexy, fun and even a touch of class, $20 belies the value of the XP...At about $13.50, the XS isn't too bad either. The Inova XP's 144L and beam pattern provide a very nice slice of light to dig the darkness out of a space. It is in my hands a lot both productively and shining it aimlessly that I've gone through about two sets of new AAA Eneloops (750mAh) per week. For its price I am having WAY too much fun with my XP. Not my "baddest" flashlight by any means, but it has become my most used one.

kFtgyo5.jpg

The flashaholic gifts were well received. Before I could explain what the Inova XP is and isn't...more a "personal" rather than a blackout flashlight, light sabers were drawn and a flashfight ensued. Flashaholic parties are great!

dim

Illum

Flashaholic
looking good. The momentary function doesn't seem to be very easy to use. I've used mine mostly as a twistie, but even then the tolerances on the light seems so tight that with the O-ring in place requires both hands and a firm grip to operate it.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Good post Dim!
Enjoyed all the photos, thanks!

Once again I have no problem using the twistie switch on my Inova XP with one hand.
The twistie may have been a bit stiff the first few weeks I used it, but it's buttery smooth now. :)

I also find the momentary function easy enough to use. To each their own. I guess that's why they make so many different types of flashlights. :D

A photo of mine with the batteries on the charger.

1_06_09_15_7_45_45.jpeg

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The local Meijer (a big box store) erected a new Nite-Ize display. I was surprised to see it included the Inova XP 2AAA penlight as well as a 1AA Nite-Ize branded light.