Streamlight Strion 2020 (New 2024)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight's official press kit describes the NASA project as a 25-million-candlepower light source, and NASA says it was "developed for Johnson Apollo environmental test chamber." I've seen 5 million quoted here and there, but my guess is a guy misspoke doing an interview in 2014.

I think they made around 6000 1 Millions. Most of them are all-black and have potted bulb/reflector modules. Mine's broken and unfortunately no simple replacements. The earlier ones have the bulb held in a metal bracket on either side of the reflector.

PXL_20240331_190521441.jpg

PXL_20240331_190645482.jpg

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure wish I could buy a new light of that quality nowadays. It reminds me of a bit of the Clulite Smartlite but being better build quality.

You would have to be committed to using that as it needs sent off to be serviced and you can't do it at home. Or maybe you can nowadays with the internet making components readily available.

I wonder what the lumen count is and run time?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality is a little subjective. Especially with the early one there's a certain homebrew flavor to these things. Picture a project at an electronics fair. Something like a Surefire Hellfighter does the same thing and has a much higher standard of manufacturing and a more elegant design. I used to have one from the 2000s.

Runtime would depend on the battery used. These use an external 12v power source. Originally they had cigarette lighter plugs for vehicles, then Streamlight started selling different size lead-acid battery packs in shoulder bags.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There's an old cartoon type ad floating around here of a fellow holding by his side and has a shoulder strapped battery about the size of a lawnmower battery on the other side of him if I recall correct. It might be somewhere in the California cop light thread.

They were popular with small boat owners. Idea being they could see marker buoys, docks etc with it.

And until the 50th anniverssary celebration took place Streamlight had always said "5 million candlepower".

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have an example of that? I can't find 5 million in print, but they used 25 million as far back as 2010 on their site.
More than 35 years ago, NASA was interested in developing a solar simulator for the space program to simulate sunlight outside the filtering of the atmosphere. A group of engineers set up a laboratory in Fairfield, NJ, and designed a product that generated 25 million candlepower of light. The technology developed during this research was subsequently used to design and develop a hand-held unit that produced one million candlepower that was sold to the military and law enforcement market sectors.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread seems to be getting off track, why not start a separate thread about the Streamlight 1 Million, at leat anyone searching for info on the light in the future will have more chance of finding the info.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

10 years ago.

That's the only place online I can find it; I think he misspoke. Streamlight's 2013 website said 25 million at the same time that video was published.

This thread seems to be getting off track, why not start a separate thread about the Streamlight 1 Million, at leat anyone searching for info on the light in the future will have more chance of finding the info.

There's one coming, don't worry. Getting back to the Strion 2020, I've had a chance to play with it for a few days. Same size as a Strion DS HL. Beam has a smoother and slightly larger central hotspot but the spill drops off more quickly. The DS HL has a very distinct bright floody ring for spill that cuts off after a certain diameter whereas the 2020 is a faster fade out from the center. The tint isn't as blue as the DS HL (not sure if it's more yellow or more green, I'd lean towards yellow) and the output on each level is quite a bit more. Level selector is identical to the Stinger 2020. I still would need it to have a lower low setting to be usable up close like the DS HL is. The regular Strion LED's lowest level is closer to the 2020's--the DS HL has a uniquely dim low. Overall build quality seems about the same as Strion LEDs that supposedly were made in the US.

I think my basic impression is that it's a brighter, easier to use Strion DS HL. If you have another Strion but wish it had more punch outside and a better level selector, this is for you. Or if you have a Stinger 2020 and wish it were smaller, lighter, and more durable* it's a good alternative if you don't need all the power and runtime. On the other hand, if you want the option of a <100 lumen low setting or a wide spill this isn't it.

*Stinger 2020 tailcap really is a weak spot. I now have two with problems.

PXL_20240331_192857201.jpg

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using the Strion 2020 regularly with no surprises. I like it. I'd like it more with a couple tweaks but it's a good flashlight. I hope the market for selector-switch lights is big enough for it to last.

And I need to mention again how outstanding Streamlight's customer service is. I just got five lights back from Streamlight, either repaired or replaced in less than a week at no charge. Three had been damaged in use, two had mysteriously died. It appears they will extensively repair (and upgrade, if your light's LED isn't the current issue one) the commercial models like Strion and Stinger (including the Chinese ones,) but they issue replacement ProTacs even if it just needs a $1 part.

Edit: Can't quite say it was outstanding. My Stinger 2020 now has extra finish damage and a stripped-out screw hole after getting it back from SL. Sending that one back again. Also in general this is now the third or fourth issue I've had with a Stinger 2020 tailcap.

Last edited:

ecallahan

Enlightened
Also very happy with my Strion 2020. I really like the fact that I can start off at whatever mode I really need. I have a DS HL and I'm sensitive to the inductor whine on medium and low. I'm not sure if the Strion 2020 uses PWM on medium and low or not, but I hear nothing. I also like the beam profile, I like the fact that the hotspot is pretty wide, and the spill is very generous.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone else with a Strion 2020, is the hard nub under the rubber switch cover loose or fixed? I find when I push the switch the piece under it can slide around under the rubber button.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone else with a Strion 2020, is the hard nub under the rubber switch cover loose or fixed? I find when I push the switch the piece under it can slide around under the rubber button.
I would be very, very surprised if the switch, its actuator, or actuator cover used in the 2020 are different part numbers from those on the DS-HL.

Then again, I'm surprised by stuff every day!

ecallahan

Enlightened
I am feeling the same thing you are, not sure what to make of it, and I'm sure you're talking about the switch on the head.