**NEW** Jetbeam DDC20

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened

One of these days I will get better at video, in the meantime here is the DDC20

LightJunction Jeff

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
An RRT mated with an EC1 and had an ugly baby. How can a CR123 light be as long as the 18650 EC2 version? Also the reflector looks smaller than the EC series because the bezel ring is so restrictive. So it will throw less than the EC's. So let me get this straight......I get a lower performing light, with a CR123, thats as big as the Nitecore version with an 18650? And of course the big question is how many versions will there be until the bugs are worked out. Jetbeam/Nitecore seems to take on average 3 to 4 before it's working right. I'll Pass.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a digital display telling me how much battery life I have left at each power setting.

However, the display and electronics seem to be taking a lot of space in this new light, making a CR123 light into the size of an 18650 light. This might be an idea that needs more work to perfect.

tam17

Enlightened
Jetbeam/Nitecore seems to take on average 3 to 4 before it's working right. I'll Pass.

To clear up the confusion, Jetbeam that developed "DD" Series is in no way affiliated with Nitecore.

Cheers

Last edited:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
An RRT mated with an EC1 and had an ugly baby. How can a CR123 light be as long as the 18650 EC2 version? Also the reflector looks smaller than the EC series because the bezel ring is so restrictive. So it will throw less than the EC's. So let me get this straight......I get a lower performing light, with a CR123, thats as big as the Nitecore version with an 18650? And of course the big question is how many versions will there be until the bugs are worked out. Jetbeam/Nitecore seems to take on average 3 to 4 before it's working right. I'll Pass.

The DDC20 takes 2 CR123 batteries, the DDC10 takes only 1. The DDC20 isn't much larger than the EC2.

LightJunction Jeff

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DDC20 takes 2 CR123 batteries, the DDC10 takes only 1. The DDC20 isn't much larger than the EC2.

LightJunction Jeff
Nope. DDC20 is 130mm long. EC2 (18650) is 99mm long. EC2 is only 2.5mm longer than the DDC10 (1xCR123). These lights are very long compared to the Explorer series.

Last edited:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Nope. DDC20 is 130mm long. EC2 (18650) is 99mm long. EC2 is only 2.5mm longer than the DDC10 (1xCR123). These lights are very long compared to the Explorer series.

They are longer...I guess I am not understanding why the comparison of the DDC10 to an EC2 when logically if one takes an extra battery it WILL be a bit larger. In the end, they do measure out longer...but they also have an LCD display which needed to go somewhere. FWIW I have currently in each hand the EC2 and the DDC20 and like the feel of the DDC20... I am also a big fan of the explorer series already.

LightJunction Jeff

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm saying is....that the DDC10 is too long. For 2.5 extra mm one could get the EC2 which has an 18650 instead of a CR123. I like the EC2 a lot. I just ordered an EC1 from you. I'll probably get an EC2 when/if it comes out with XPG2. That will be a really hot light. I'd estimate about 500 lumens and 9500 lux in throw. And all in a light about the length of CR123 lights.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone catch this on the video about the DD20 from page 1 from light junction, where he said, "the runtimes on high are 1 hour and 90 minutes"? Wouldnt that be 2 hours and 30 minutes? Or did he just make a mistake, and did he really mean 90 minutes on high?

It runs at around 450L on high with either an 18650 or 2-CR123's(he didnt specify which), so for that run time I think 2 hours and 30 minutes might be a little high, considering the run times on these new models in general seem a bit low.

Aside from that, I dont really dislike these lights like many people seem to, because I think its a good idea to have a display that tells you the remaining battery life. So thats a move forward. But the 1-AA model only runs at 120L on high, which is way low for an AA light these days, especially with a U2. It should be at least 160- 200L with that LED. So why only 120L?

Last edited:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
You're right. My apologies, I was trying to swap the min to hours while talking in the video. We've since got the instrunction/spec sheets so the runtime is as follows for the DDC20
2 hrs. High
15 hrs Mid
60 hrs Low

Thanks for catching it! I will go notate it in the video. Now that I have more information I will try to get the specs posted on our site.

LightJunction Jeff

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
What I'm saying is....that the DDC10 is too long. For 2.5 extra mm one could get the EC2 which has an 18650 instead of a CR123. I like the EC2 a lot. I just ordered an EC1 from you. I'll probably get an EC2 when/if it comes out with XPG2. That will be a really hot light. I'd estimate about 500 lumens and 9500 lux in throw. And all in a light about the length of CR123 lights.

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

LightJunction Jeff

tam17

Enlightened
IMHO DD-Series is an unusual departure from innovative and functional Jetbeam's past designs (remember IBS and RRT UI's for example). Who needs 7-segment status display and protruding side-switch rubber boot on an oversized flashlight? But YMMV, that's just my opinion.

Yes, they are for all practical purposes the same company.

It seems to me that ripping off each other's designs, dragging in courts over brand names & patents and posting flamboyant statements on websites is a weird way of cooperation :thumbsdow Anyway, this topic has been covered from various aspects in other threads...

Cheers

BlackhawkB

Newly Enlightened

Definitely, those lights are crazy big !
Even the AA one is as big as my 18650 !

About the 7 segments digits, this is several LEDs working while you are using the flashlight, which might consume a lot (compared to nothing) for a AA battery for instance...

buds224

Enlightened
I like the idea of a fuel gauge on the light, but implementation seems a bit cheesy. I think a small line of led dots could have conveyed the same information and taken up less room on the light. The level of dots could stand for both current-mode and battery level. I'll have to wait for more reviews before considering this series.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a fuel gauge on the light, but implementation seems a bit cheesy. I think a small line of led dots could have conveyed the same information and taken up less room on the light. The level of dots could stand for both current-mode and battery level. I'll have to wait for more reviews before considering this series.

Agreed. Cool concept. And I applaud Jetbeam for being the first to try something like this. But I also agree that the implementation looks like it could be better. The display seems to be taking up too much internal space in the light, making a 1xCR123 sized light into nearly the size of an 18650 light. A fuel gauge in a pocket light is nice... but not at the expense of making the light 30% longer.