*New* JetBeam TCR20 - Oblique or Straight

Pat364

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
On my TCR21 (#010), with a 16340 or a CR123A, the light remains ON in standby position.

I asked the JETBeam Customer Service for this problem.
Response:
"We are manufacturing new switch for TCR20/21 for replacement. Since Chinese New Year Holiday is coming soon (02/13--02/26), new switches will be finished in March.
Usually we do not offer after-sales to users directly. Our distributors take charge of it."

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, we just got in the switch kits from JetBeam. Since the release date of these models, it has been established that the lights do not operate as intended with AA batteries (1.2V and 1.5V). Jetbeam traced the problem back to the rear switch, and recently released a revised version of the switch to address this issue. We made an instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44zbPfdSco&feature=youtu.be and we're offering them to anyone, even if you're not a customer of ours. The only fee is shipping. Here's the replacement kit listed on our website. If you make a purchase over $50, then of course shipping is free. If you need to get in touch, please email [email protected].

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Got any left for sale with new switch already installed?

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I just got my TCR21 today...it's number 159 and it came with the new gold coloured tail switch.

i have two concerns: with a 14500 1600maH battery installed, there is still a glow of the LED on standby. Also, when I use an Energizer CR123 battery, there is not much change in the lumens from low to high when turning the ring. If I use the AA battery, no problems. I do notice the greatest change in lumen when using 14500 (i.e. The low is low and the high is high).

Anyone else notices and also have this problem. I thought the new switch was supposed to fix this?

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a fake battery to me.

The best capacity 14500 I'm aware of from a reputable manufacturer is 840mAh.

Hmmm, hope not, I got it from Amazon..it's purple coloured GTL is the brand...I know it's a Chinese brand...I'll try another 14500 to see if the emitter still glows on stand by. Have not tried RCR123a yet.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if the battery is a cheap Chinese cell it shouldn't leave the emitter glowing, that is a fault in the light itself and is actually a known problem on these lights from what I've read. The standby mode was supposed to completely cut the LED off but the first models it would leave the light on; not sure if this has actually been resolved or not but it sounds as if it is still a problem.

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
snowlover91, that's what I thought as well....maybe they need to fix the switch again or the head? Looks like even the new switches are not solving all the problems.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
snowlover91, that's what I thought as well....maybe they need to fix the switch again or the head? Looks like even the new switches are not solving all the problems.

I would imagine it's an internal problem with the circuit board, a new switch should have fixed the issue so since it didn't I'm assuming it's something internal like the circuit board or some other setting. It really is the ideal flashlight on paper it just needs to be implemented better.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Even if the battery is a cheap Chinese cell it shouldn't leave the emitter glowing, that is a fault in the light itself and is actually a known problem on these lights from what I've read. The standby mode was supposed to completely cut the LED off but the first models it would leave the light on; not sure if this has actually been resolved or not but it sounds as if it is still a problem.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue.

Snowlover91 is right. The dubious battery is a separate issue from the fault in the light.

pcfranchina

Newly Enlightened
Hello! Sorry to revive a older thread... My original titanium plan was to get a Sunwayman V10r Ti+ but now I am thinking of the TCR20. Anyone have both lights that wants to share opinions? Anyone add trits or mod the Jetbeam? I have admired the Sunwayman for way too long and now that I am looking to get it I am second guessing it and most retailers don't have it any longer as its discontinued? Is sunwayman coming out with something new?

Thanks in advance!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Coincidently, I just received a TC-R21 today, purchased from another CPF member. I haven't had much time to play with it it yet, but it's certainly a nice looking light and a fine addition to JetBeam's collection of limited edition titanium lights. I also have most of the other Ti limited editions so am glad to have picked up this one since I missed the initial release.

pcfranchina

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much, Magellan! This would be my most expensive light, I'd hate to be disappointed.
This morning I got an email from an online flashlight retailer that had a 10% off coupon code.... I GOT THE TCR20. Any one "trit" this out yet?

Last edited:

pcfranchina

Newly Enlightened
Just received my TCR20 this morning. First test with a Surefire CR123 primary and didn't notice that much of a smooth ramp up in lumens from low to high. With a AA I there is much more of a smooth increase in brightness. I am not sure if this is normal.

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
Just received my TCR20 this morning. First test with a Surefire CR123 primary and didn't notice that much of a smooth ramp up in lumens from low to high. With a AA I there is much more of a smooth increase in brightness. I am not sure if this is normal.

I find the same issue with mine...however, not sure if that is the norm though.

pcfranchina

Newly Enlightened
I do like the light though. I wish the transition was as smooth as my Sunwayman V11. I didn't test it with a RCR123 though, have you? If it's a defect I may return it but I don't want to.

pcfranchina

Newly Enlightened
I finally had the opportunity to test it with a RCR123 and its brighter but it still glows while in standby.... Not good.