New Key-Lux AA Coming Soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should be done getting Anodized on tuesday. Then I need to send them to get laser engraved and the reflector coating put on. Probably in 2-3 weeks. I might start taking pre-orders after they come back from the anodizer.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in for pre-order as well for the 350mA version if you decide to take pre-orders.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are for the 200mA versions. It will be a couple months before I get the 350mA version going.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the heads up. i will wait until the 350mA versions are available.

Curtis

paulr

Flashaholic
Especially at 350 mA (if that's led current), I'd say being able to use lithiums is an absolute requirement. i hope you'll do whatever it takes to set up the electronics to ensure proper operations with lithiums.

I think I'd want 200 mA, since I want the light to be at least somewhat useful with the cheap zinc-carbon batteries that are occasionally all one can find in a pinch. I think 350 mA would wipe out those batteries almost instantly, while 200 mA would last a useful period. Also, 350 mA might run pretty hot, in such a small light.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Especially at 350 mA (if that's led current), I'd say being able to use lithiums is an absolute requirement. i hope you'll do whatever it takes to set up the electronics to ensure proper operations with lithiums.

I think I'd want 200 mA, since I want the light to be at least somewhat useful with the cheap zinc-carbon batteries that are occasionally all one can find in a pinch. I think 350 mA would wipe out those batteries almost instantly, while 200 mA would last a useful period. Also, 350 mA might run pretty hot, in such a small light.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way a Carbon-Zinc AA could power a Lux at 200mA unless you consider a minute or two to be a useful period. You may be OK though in that it may be the "200mA" delivers much less at actual typical cell voltage.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure the 350mA version of the Key-Lux AA would pull 900-1,000 mA (depending on bin code and converter effeciency) That hog would need to be fed with lithiums or NiMH rechargables.

balrog

Enlightened
Presuming that the new 350mA convertor is a boost convertor then there may be a problem running it on lithiums. At 350mA the LED forward voltage may be around to 3-3.2V and lithiums AAs are a 3.6V battery so this combo may not work. With all the losses (battery internal resistance, convertor diode drops, etc.) it may be okay, but I wouldn't bet on it.

balrog

Enlightened
BentHeadTX, heh, I was way off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. So, on lithium AA primaries there should be no problem powering a boost convertor. Surely if the output voltage is around 3V then the input voltage can be anything up to 3V. Seems logical to me.

Assuming that the LED Vf is 3.2V and the convertor efficiency averages at 90%, then @350mA, the power required from the AA is approx 1.25W. A Duracell Ultra AA can supply 1W continuously for approx 80 minutes down to 0.8V across the AA. I guess that at 1.25W it might be about 50-60 minutes. That's certainly respectable when your NiMHs are out of juice.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
But TnC said that he would advise agains L91 lithiums, at least for the 200mA converter if that makes any difference.
bernhard

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm,
If it does not like the added voltage/amperage from a 1.7V lithium, would this mean it is not current regulated? If it was, it would not care what the incoming voltage was as long as it did not go past vF.
I would assume Tnc is using a voltage regulator, it might boost the output to 240-250mA with the lithium and generate a lot of heat. I could see that...

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the New Colors of the Key-Lux AA-Cell Lights. They will be all Hard Anodized. From Left to right we have:
HA (Natural), HA (Red), HA (Blue)
Key-Lux-AA-Cell%20Colors.jpg

These lights are extremely nice looking. The HA seems to match perfectly. I used a different anodizer this time. They charged more but I got a much better outcome. I will be sending them out tomorrow to get the reflectors coated and the Bezels engraved. I was told they could get the reflective coating done by the end of the week. I wouldn't hold my breath because I was told that before and it took 3 weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Let me know what you think about a pre-sale on these. If people would like to purchase these in advanced before they are finished then I will put them on the site as a pre-sale light.

Status
Not open for further replies.