• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New LOGAN LED flashlight

easilyled

Flashaholic
With a 3 volt battery the current draw is 966 mA and the drive to the LED is 525 mA for a bare bulb output of
205 Lumens. With a 3.7 volt battery the draw is 1120 mA and the LED drive is 1000 mA for a Lumen output
of 351 in the bare bulb condition. Bare bulb foot-candle output is 60.2 and 93.5, the optic ratio is 26.5 to one.

Curt

Hooray, finally some official confirmation that the output levels are different in the 2 cell-types as I suggested all along.
(No bad batches to those casting aspersions!!!)

Now, if we could have some out-the-front lumen measurements, it would be even better.

I suspect they will end up being close to what I predicted in the first place.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Curt :twothumbs. This will eliminate any further confustion.
I predict 150-175 OTF lumens after losses from the optic and lens, if led lumens are 205. So far, I really like the Logan. The only suggestion I can think of now is that I would like to see Peak steer away from using Lexan lens in there lights and go with some type UCL glass.

With a 3 volt battery the current draw is 966 mA and the drive to the LED is 525 mA for a bare bulb output of
205 Lumens. With a 3.7 volt battery the draw is 1120 mA and the LED drive is 1000 mA for a Lumen output
of 351 in the bare bulb condition. Bare bulb foot-candle output is 60.2 and 93.5, the optic ratio is 26.5 to one.

Curt

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Curt :twothumbs. The only suggestion I can think of now is that I would like to see Peak steer away from using Lexan lens in there lights and go with some type UCL glass.

Ditto on the UCL - and ditch the lexan that can get scratched.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, Surefire put a stop to this as it was too similar to one of their patented designs...so probably/unfortunately it won't be an option...:shrug: :(

I think Surefire put a stop to it being designed to work in *their* lights. What I'm saying is that maybe Curt could contact Don and see he would allow him to use the basic concept/design and tweak if for the Logan. That thing fit in the E-series surefires and could handle up to 2a I believe.

Curts' switch may be better I just would like to see it work on the 7 & 8s'.

As far as the output goes. I understand it uses a lexan lens which is notorious for "knocking down" the outputs of lights. I understand why Peak uses it - keep lens breaking claims down - but for us CPF'ers might want to find a UCL lens to fit in there to "reclaim" lost lumanage.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
IMO part of what makes Peak such a great EDC is it's robust simplistic design- as such, I prefer a Lexan lens as it will handle most any abuse that it encounters without failure- same thing with the potted LED and simple twist on/twist off design.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO part of what makes Peak such a great EDC is it's robust simplistic design- as such, I prefer a Lexan lens as it will handle most any abuse that it encounters without failure- same thing with the potted LED and simple twist on/twist off design.

+1

Another issue is the number of lost lumens from Lexan, and whether that number, whatever it may be, is even perceptible outside a laboratory. No doubt there are those with great young eyes who, at least under some circumstances, can determine from a beamshot what sort of window the light went through. I am not one of them. It would be interesting to see some quality beamshot comparisons.

Curt R

Enlightened
Solid optics have an 83 to 87 % decrease in Lumen output from the bare bulb state. Good quality
smooth reflectors are 90 to 94 %. Stippled reflectors are about the same or close to solid optics.
Glass windows lose about 3 to 6 % and plastic about 6 to 11 % depending on thickness. The
difference between windows is 5 to 7 %, or with a 200 Lumen drive the decrease would be up to 20
Lumens. The standard recognized difference that the human eye can detect is about 30%, of otf Lumens.

The pocket sized lights would require a redesign for glass windows and an increase in overall length
of the head. The scratch resistant Lexan windows that we use are a 3 thousands press fit into the head,
sealed with aqua silicone RTV and a 3 thousands press fit trim ring. The windows and trim ring are
free, just send a SASE and info, same as for the foam donut.

The Logan out the front Lumens is approximately 75% of bare bulb Lumen output. 200 Lumens would be 150 otf
and 350 would be 260 otf. That is what you could expect with a #8 Logan with 3 volt and 3.6 volt batteries.
With a glass window it would be 160 and 280 Lumens otf.

The multi-level tail switch is an off the shelf purchased option that is not sold as a part of the flashlight. It would fall
under the same category as a drop in LED assembly to increase the output of some lights from an incandescent
lamp assembly. That rotary switch is made by a company in the UK.

Curt

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
The multi-level tail switch is an off the shelf purchased option that is not sold as a part of the flashlight. It would fall
under the same category as a drop in LED assembly to increase the output of some lights from an incandescent
lamp assembly. That rotary switch is made by a company in the UK.

Curt
Except it won't fit the brass key ring body I have, as the tail is solid under the screw in key ring piece.
Norm

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except it won't fit the brass key ring body I have, as the tail is solid under the screw in key ring piece.
Norm

pretty sure the multi-level switch will screw in the same way the momentary switch does.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still so tempted to buy a number 6, but according to Curts' last post, after the losses it would only have an OTF output of about 54 lumens. Kind of anemic. Guess I'm waiting to see if the final switch will work with the #7s and 8s.

Curt R

Enlightened
Some of the bodies from years ago did not have the ability to use replaceable negative battery contacts or tail switches. :shakehead

Curt

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure that you all have reasons for using plastic lens in Peak lights as stated. You need to switch to all glass lens even if it means a redesign. This does hold back your sales to a degree. The added length could not possible be more than a few mm. Im fine with a plastic/polymer optic, but the outer bezel lens needs to be some type of UCL glass like every other custom light maker around here uses. How about user switcheable lens options? I really like my Logan, but want be investing too much $ in future Peak lights until I get the features I want.

Solid optics have an 83 to 87 % decrease in Lumen output from the bare bulb state. Good quality
smooth reflectors are 90 to 94 %. Stippled reflectors are about the same or close to solid optics.
Glass windows lose about 3 to 6 % and plastic about 6 to 11 % depending on thickness. The
difference between windows is 5 to 7 %, or with a 200 Lumen drive the decrease would be up to 20
Lumens. The standard recognized difference that the human eye can detect is about 30%, of otf Lumens.

The pocket sized lights would require a redesign for glass windows and an increase in overall length
of the head. The scratch resistant Lexan windows that we use are a 3 thousands press fit into the head,
sealed with aqua silicone RTV and a 3 thousands press fit trim ring. The windows and trim ring are
free, just send a SASE and info, same as for the foam donut.

Curt

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell us how you really feel kyhunter haha I kid I kid...
Im sure that you all have reasons for using plastic lens in Peak lights as stated. You need to switch to all glass lens even if it means a redesign. This does hold back your sales to a degree. The added length could not possible be more than a few mm. Im fine with a plastic/polymer optic, but the outer bezel lens needs to be some type of UCL glass like every other custom light maker around here uses. How about user switcheable lens options? I really like my Logan, but want be investing too much $ in future Peak lights until I get the features I want.

MKLight

Enlightened
I think Surefire put a stop to it being designed to work in *their* lights. What I'm saying is that maybe Curt could contact Don and see he would allow him to use the basic concept/design and tweak if for the Logan. That thing fit in the E-series surefires and could handle up to 2a I believe.

Curts' switch may be better I just would like to see it work on the 7 & 8s'.

Thanks for the explanation...makes sense. :grin2:

Me, too, about working with 7s and 8s! :cool::hitit:

MKLight

Enlightened
I don't mind it being Lexan, UCL, or whatever. They work and work well. Each have their features, advantages, and benefits, as well as their negatives. Peak has put an interesting twist on their lights with offering different LEDs (and colors), beam style, and the KISS principle. Like Curt mentioned, Peak offers the lenses, the retaining rings, and the foam donuts free of charge (with a SASE). So, anyone can always play with their lights and try modding theirs with a UCL, etc, and if it doesn't work and you destroy your lens, you can always order a free replacement and mod it back to stock. For me, I like what they offer and will keep it the way they sell them...just my 2 cents....:shrug:

Take care,
MK

MKLight

Enlightened
I was going to edit my post above, but it didn't really make sense to do such. I carry a Logan Level 8 in SS with a momentary switch and a primary CR123. I also carry an Eiger Level 8 in SS with a momentary switch and usually a 10440. I don't need to carry both, but enjoy how they work and feel. Plus, as we all say, and Curt, too, it's always good to have a back-up. That said, I have a Photon Freedom and SL Nano on my keychain, too...not overkill, huh? lol

Take care,
MK

Curt R

Enlightened
I also carry two lights and two knives on me at all times. Also in my duty bag is two/three more lights,
(bigger ones), batteries, handguns, and assorted other items. A new Arizona law allows us to carry
concealed without license.

Be prepared.

Curt