New maglight solitair LED

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Or they think its some sort of trick like it is a specially built $1000 light special designed for ground smashing

american

Enlightened
I had mine for s week had a flicker problem

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding lumen output, some people are quite happy to select these lower output lights as their preference.
Just because something has "more lumens" does not necessarily make it better.

Look at the Fenix E01 for example. Probably the best selling AAA light out there. Only 10 lumens and one mode.
E05 is only 27 lumens and one mode. Another very good seller.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Can anyone actually explain to me why it takes companies like maglite and surefire so long to upgrade things like this? From a business point of view why would you not do it sooner?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The marketing says "A blast of power that can light up an object at the far end of a parking lot". At the stated 37 lumens with Maglite's traditionally poor optics? I don't think so.

The best AAA light in my opinion is still the stainless steel 4Sevens Preon ReVO with 70 lumens on high, great optics, and flat regulation. It's just too bad the model has been discontinued.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame that Maglite seems to have struggled with keeping up.
But they haven't been struggling at all. They're still one of the best selling flashlight brands in the world, and they've been doing exactly what the market demands of them.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone actually explain to me why it takes companies like maglite and surefire so long to upgrade things like this? From a business point of view why would you not do it sooner?
Basically, they establish a profit threshold, and as long as a product remains above that threshold then they have no motivation to change it. It's the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

tam17

Enlightened
The marketing says "A blast of power that can light up an object at the far end of a parking lot". At the stated 37 lumens with Maglite's traditionally poor optics? I don't think so.

Well, if you consider throw only, LED Soli (37lm/748cd) is even better than Fenix LD01 R4 (72lm/644cd), all data ANSI.

I prefer flood in a flashlight this small, but Mag marketing folks at least have something to boast about.

Cheers

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I like the Solitaire design. It's simple and elegant. I like the smooth body because it fits nicely into my cell phone pouch side pocket, and doesn't snag. That's my backup to my backup. The 2 lumens are rather pitiful, but it's better than nothing. So yeah the LED version certainly has my interest.

As far as optics: The D Mags and AA mags (and possibly AAA Mini) all got new reflectors when they went LED, so it would be no surprise if the Soli did as well. I just wish MI would start using Type III HA. It would make them so much better.

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Yah I'm am still looking for it as a backup to my backup too but have not been able to find it

And on the topic of throw the old solitaire can throw ( barley but it can) across stage when it's pitch black in the theater ( about 20-30 feet)

american

Enlightened
They were 20 shipped from all spectrum in the last month

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
And on the topic of throw the old solitaire can throw ( barley but it can) across stage when it's pitch black in the theater ( about 20-30 feet)
The claim is a bit more specific, that it can "light up an object at the far end of a parking lot", though I suppose it depends on the size of the parking lot and the amount of ambient light.

Last edited:

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Yah if there is any ambient lighting it doesn't work at all but then again for non flashaholics any a,Brent light means no need for a flashlight

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The claim is a bit more specific, that it can "light up an object at the far end of a parking lot", though I suppose it depends on the size of the parking lot and the amount of ambient light.

... And the object! (Tree or stop sing?)

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Ps guys believe it or not but I carry a solitair (incandescent) in my back pocket because it turns on EVERY TIME

ToyTank

Enlightened
Hi Zargon, Hard to explain if your not from the US.

Black friday is known as the largest shopping day of the year(start of Christmas shopping) most stores have huge sales. Cyber monday is the online equivalent. I'm just saying I'll wait until it is a very good sale or clearance before I'd buy one.