New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had some time to kill...

All of the following samples were taken with the MD2/M60 combo with a fresh pair of CR123As.

• Kroll (stock): 4400 lux
  • Nite Ize IQ High: 3150 lux
  • Nite Ize IQ Med: 1720 lux
  • Nite Ize IQ Low: 890 lux
* I make no claims about the accuracy of my light meter. I only use it for comparative tests like this

Interesting. Can you get a lux reading on this combo without the Kroll at all? That would show the effects of the Kroll's resistance.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used it extensively, but brief tests of the IQ switch in an MD2 with an M60 running on 3.7v and 6v have been problem free.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Can you get a lux reading on this combo without the Kroll at all? That would show the effects of the Kroll's resistance.
I had the same thought last night after I put everything away...

I just tried the Kroll, a TerraLux reverse clickie and a stock MiniMag tail, and the lux readings were the same for all three.

PS... the MiniMag tail is small enough for the MD2 to tail stand and it gives you a lanyard attachment point (and stylish color choices!), but you'll have to unscrew the head to turn the MD2 off.

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the help, I did get it going last night, carefully used a pair of needle nose. Some flickering remains though. I'll try a bit more tinkering and maybee a resistance mod.

Good link also, Iv'e heard of this switch here before, but never much on it. It does look like a real good design.

sardian

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the help, I did get it going last night, carefully used a pair of needle nose. Some flickering remains though. I'll try a bit more tinkering and maybee a resistance mod.

Good link also, Iv'e heard of this switch here before, but never much on it. It does look like a real good design.

After I got my switch going I still had flickering too. I took the switch back out, flipped the little spring on the size over and put it back in. No flickering and it works great.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting the M60 for the MD2, and when Gene called about the order, I asked in more detail about his plans for a two-level switch. He says he has an idea for one where you turn the head for the levels, and he's going see if it works the way he thinks it will, and then put them up for sale for maybe $20, as an accessory, ready in maybe a month or two, when more flashlights are ready. When I asked if I could pass that along here, he said yes, if I make it clear that it may or may not happen, depending on if it works the way he thinks it will.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
As far as the lens goes, I took my inside micrometer to it and realized it gets thicker after the threads end (duh). Measured the rubber washer and I reckon the 24.7mm x 1.85mm UCL from flashlightlens.com will fit it perfectly.

I got the UCL today, and it fits fine. Haven't tried it with a drop-in yet, since I traded for a M60 that's on its way. Thanks, Stillphoto.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, glad to hear it. I too ordered one, and only after the shipping notice was emailed did I see that it got sent to my old address. I can only hope it gets forwarded.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:tinfoil: Any tiny dome aspheric you guys can think of?

I don't think I've ever tried combining an optic and an aspherical lens before. I think it would work but there would be no gain over stright aspherical.

I'm bored

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
:tinfoil: Any tiny dome aspheric you guys can think of?

I don't think I've ever tried combining an optic and an aspherical lens before. I think it would work but there would be no gain over stright aspherical.

I'm bored

Well sarge I'm drunk-but I think you might be on to something!An aspherical lens sounds like a great idea-but I'm guessing one does not exist.
sick2.gif

gsxrac

Enlightened
Ok so I ripped my damn boot but I finally got my switch out. Now I cant figure out what to do? And not to sound like a critic because ive spent lots of hard earned money on Malkoff products and plan to spend a lot more in the future but is there a reason Gene didnt use a "Better" switch?

Ohh yea and I pulled the F'n big spring off and it WONT go back on

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yea it never worked in the first place but I think I fixed it and when I went to put it back in it cross threaded soooo... It met it's fate between a hammer and concrete. One day I will listen to my fathers advice and take an anger managment class. Until then it's time to waste more money I dont have on a new switch :sick:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Called him twice with no answer (Didnt expect one, I know hes a busy guy) so I left a message then I emailed him and just told him I wanted to order a switch.

edc3

Enlightened
Good luck! I'm sure Gene will get you out a new switch in no time.

I got to use my MD2 with M60 on a night hike last week. I'm very happy with it. The switch flashing is a little annoying, but no big deal.

Don

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I just fixed the whole problem, and the flashing. I found a random switch in my random toolbox and it has a NI on the button Nite Ize?.... LOOK MA!!! MY MD2 CAN TAILSTAND!
MD2tailstand.jpg

MD2NiteEyz.jpg

:wave:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just fixed the whole problem, and the flashing. I found a random switch in my random toolbox and it has a NI on the button Nite Ize?.... LOOK MA!!! MY MD2 CAN TAILSTAND!
MD2tailstand.jpg

:wave:

Tailstand MD2, wow that is so cool. Great job. I wonder if my DX G2 replacement clikie will work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.