The new Malkoff M61SHO

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This warrants its own thread.
So the highlights: The output exceeds that of M91T but with lower lux. (11K versus 19K). Has twice the output of M61T or M61 but twice the drain (2amps versus 1amp with 1x18650, roughly speaking). The lux is similar to that of M61T (11K versus 12K).
If you like the M61 beam profile but want 825 lumens of M91T, get it. I do not think the runtime will be as good due to higher Amps. Can one of the new owners of M61SHO post their runtime on a 3500mAh cell?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Beam shot

1692800591995.jpeg

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I just put one in a MD2 body with a high/low ring. I can only compare it to my other MD2/M61LL cool white. Both seem to be the same output on low. Comparing it to my 6p with a cool M61 dropin, both gave me a pretty equal spill but the SHO had a lot more throw and was noticably brighter. Against a white wall, the SHO seemed to have a slightly greener tint than the M61in the 6p but that dropin is years old.
Not a fair comparison but it was impressive compared to my neutral Hound Dog 18650 in a open field.

Overall, this looks like it will make a great light for pre dawn trail walks on low and if the need arises you will have the ability to identify objects at distances.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Got mine today and it rocks.On 2X 18650 it's just as bright as the 91 but with longer run times And with more throw. With them both on a single 18650 the 61 destroyes it But ya she's white alright.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday, here (for what they're worth) are my observations and thoughts on this new module;

What originally attracted me to the M61SHO is the increased output on a single Li-ion cell. My plan was to use it with a MD2 body and high/low ring powered by a single 18650 as my "inside the house" night stand light, where the low setting is very useful for tasks such as checking the thermostat setting, and full output used for checking the "bump in the night" situations. I had been using the M91B in this light and after trying the M61SHO, I still am;

m91bmd2-1.jpg
  • MD2 with Orbtronic 18650 flat top inside
  • M91B with high/low ring
  • LF SW01 Skinny (aka UM00) Tritium Slotted Momentary Tailcap with green tritium insert
  • LF GITD grip ring
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring
  • #206 O-ring and split ring attachment

While the M61SHO certainly lives up to its 825 lumen/11k cd rating, and is substantially brighter than the M91B on a single Li-ion cell (approximately 650 lumens), I found the distinct (and impossible not to notice) rings at the outer edge of the spill too distracting for my intended use. Additionally, the overall spill is not as wide as the M91B and the 11,000 cd is tightly focused into a very small spot in the center of the beam. Between the rings and small hot spot, I find the beam gives a kind of "bullseye target" effect. In this regard, I find the beam pattern of the M91B with its larger Cree XP-L emitter more pleasing and useful for general hand held use, even on a single cell. As a point of reference, I find the E2 Super superior in all regards to a fully-powered M91B, the Bodyguard v.2 even more so.

Replacing a M61T module in my MD3 WML on my shotgun is where the M61SHO earned its new home. Where I found the rings and tight hot spot undesirable for an indoor night stand light, the bullseye beam pattern works extremely well for the WML application, lending itself superbly to rapid point-of-aim acquisition. I'm actually amazed with how well it works for me in this application;

1187P-2.jpg

The M61SHO would be perfect for use with the Malkoff MDSFFE-2 Forend Light.

Even though I did not end up using it for my original purpose, the M61SHO has proven to be a worthy purchase that has enhanced the performance (and my confidence) with critical SD gear.

For those looking for high output and absolute bullet-proof build quality in a 6P drop-in module - and are not "white wall hunters" - the M61SHO is undoubtedly a top choice.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine yesterday, here (for what they're worth) are my observations and thoughts on this new module;

What originally attracted me to the M61SHO is the increased output on a single Li-ion cell. My plan was to use it with a MD2 body and high/low ring powered by a single 18650 as my "inside the house" night stand light, where the low setting is very useful for tasks such as checking the thermostat setting, and full output used for checking the "bump in the night" situations. I had been using the M91B in this light and after trying the M61SHO, I still am;

View attachment 48051
  • LF SW01 Skinny (aka UM00) Tritium Slotted Momentary Tailcap with green tritium insert
  • LF GITD grip ring
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring

While the M61SHO certainly lives up to its 825 lumen/11k cd rating, and is substantially brighter than the M91B on a single Li-ion cell (approximately 650 lumens), I found the distinct (and impossible not to notice) rings at the outer edge of the spill too distracting for my intended use. Additionally, the overall spill is not as wide as the M91B and the 11,000 cd is tightly focused into a very small spot in the center of the beam. Between the rings and small hot spot, I find the beam gives a kind of "bullseye target" effect. In this regard, I find the beam pattern of the M91B with its larger Cree XP-L emitter more pleasing and useful for general hand held use, even on a single cell. As a point of reference, I find the E2 Super superior in all regards to a fully-powered M91B, the Bodyguard v.2 even more so.

Replacing a M61T module in my MD3 WML on my shotgun is where the M61SHO earned its new home. Where I found the rings and tight hot spot undesirable for an indoor night stand light, the bullseye beam pattern works extremely well for the WML application, lending itself superbly to rapid point-of-aim acquisition. I'm actually amazed with how well it works for me in this application;

View attachment 48052

Even though I did not end up using it for my original purpose, the M61SHO has proven to be a worthy purchase that has enhanced the performance (and my confidence) with critical SD gear.

For those looking for high output and absolute bullet-proof build quality in a 6P drop-in module - and are not "white wall hunters" - the M61SHO is undoubtedly a top choice.
What mount did you use?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Chiming in for the 'flood' crowd; the moment I started using M91's, all of my M61's went into second-tier status.

I certainly can't state first-hand experience with this updated SHO, but I did help an ex-LEO friend set up a pair of 9P's with an M91 and a M61SHO (both older cool white models) a number of years ago.
Edit: I just asked him which one he liked more; he said that when he was working security he liked the SHO more, but for general use and now that he is retired, he prefers the M91.

If I was down to three Malkoffs, it would be my M91BN, M30W (5000K), and M61NLLLL - and using the M91 virtually all the time. The fact that the M91 'B' series works well on 1x LiIon is a clincher.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

View attachment 48051
  • LF GITD grip ring
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring

View attachment 48052

Very good review. (y)

elzilcho

Enlightened

View attachment 48051
  • LF GITD grip ring
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring

View attachment 48052

Thanks very much for this. I needed some ideas for a long gun and it sounds like the M61SHO is a good option.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 48051
  • LF GITD grip ring
  • LF Z26 lanyard ring

I found the distinct (and impossible not to notice) rings at the outer edge of the spill too distracting for my intended use.

Any chance those rings are caused by the 16.5 bezel choking the spill?