NEW MecArmy PT16 3 X CREE XP-G2 single 16340 flashlight 1000 lumens

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that it's not 1000 lumens. Testing more, I'm doubting my initial "700-800 lumen" range. Based on comparison between the 577 lumen and 920 lumen H1 brightness mode of Zebralight, the PT16 looks more like 600-650 lumens.

Good estimate. I measured mine HERE at 642 lumen. This light has quickly been relegated to "in the drawer" status. It may look like an Oveready, but it's FAR from being an Oveready!! The UI just kills it completely for me. I give 'em props for building a solid little light, but dang, that UI.

:thinking:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I came in here following up on reviews on this little light. Don't get into CPF often anymore and it's pretty quickly easy to see why.

I'll get one, pull the OEM driver or wipe it clean and piggyback a 10mm FET in with 7 modes (maybe 5, we'll see, I'll write it how I want it to be and go from there) and reversing so Turbo or Moon is instantly accessible, and the FET will probably get it up around 2000 real out the front lumens. Why gripe about what it isn't, when you can just make it what you want?

Have fun! :D

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you receive your. Can you see if it can be moded with XP-G2 S4 over the stock R5.

silverspurr

Newly Enlightened
Manhattan a.k.a. N.Y.C. a.k.a. The Big Apple
Just received mine.
Sick!
Insanely bright for its size + nice upgraded U.I. which is now "totally operationally friendly" unlike a few previous reviews I read prior to purchasing.
Built like a tank, cool white no tinting.
Killer strobe!
Only con = for the price should be a glass lens not a high impact poly-carbonate.
Used a G.G. discount code + free shipping.
Will now sell my Olight S10R II which I barely used, never liked and replace it with this.

MecArmy%20PT16_zpsdlcbvw5q.jpg

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the PT16 is quite nice. I'm enjoying mine.

• The cool white XPG2s it came with are pretty good, but I upgraded mine to triple XPL HI 5000K 3D. Emitter swap and reflow was fast and easy.
  • Beam pattern is very good for a small triple. The optic is superior to standard Carlco optics. It's throwier and with a more pleasing beam pattern than the 20mm Carclo 10507 narrow spot triple TIR optic.
  • The star is aluminum and fairly thin. The spacing between the LEDs isn't standard. UInfortunately, you can't swap in a 20mm triple copper Noctigon because the emitter spacing is different and the emitters won't fit under the optic.
  • In retrospect I think the PT14 might have been a better choice. The PT16's body tube is so short its hard to grip the knurled portion. The 14500 sized PTR14 has a longer battery tube and is probably easier to grip.
  • The upgraded UI is fine, but I would have preferred that the double-click for high shortcut work even when the light is on.

Last edited:

silverspurr

Newly Enlightened
Manhattan a.k.a. N.Y.C. a.k.a. The Big Apple
Update: after just under two weeks it started acting erratically, then a day or two later just died and would not turn on, battery fine fully charged.
Must have been a faulty switch I would guess.

G.G. sent a new replacement out and received it in 3 days, working great, knock on wood.

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Got mine from GG a couple of days ago. It is the V2. The 16340 included has a sleeve, to keep it from rattling? Anyway, take the sleeve out and all my 18xx batteries fit. I don't have an 18350 to try for length but the ID has plenty of clearance. Must have changed this on the V2 along with the UI.

texas cop

Enlightened
Got mine from GG a couple of days ago. It is the V2. The 16340 included has a sleeve, to keep it from rattling? Anyway, take the sleeve out and all my 18xx batteries fit. I don't have an 18350 to try for length but the ID has plenty of clearance. Must have changed this on the V2 along with the UI.

That's the V3 version and every one who list them says not in stock yet. You got lucky.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumn has version 3.

Confirmed by the staff when I visited on-site a couple weeks ago.

ven

Flashaholic
Is there any plastic part to remove which breaks contact, sometimes USB lights with the cell inside have a little plastic washer(of sort)..............just a thought.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any plastic part to remove which breaks contact, sometimes USB lights with the cell inside have a little plastic washer(of sort)..............just a thought.

My PT16 did not turn on out of the box too because there was a plastic sheet insulating the battery from its contact. You find it inside the tailcap.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PT16 did not turn on out of the box too because there was a plastic sheet insulating the battery from its contact. You find it inside the tailcap.

Mine was the same but....he says the light is green on the charge indicator too so I wonder if that is upstream
or downstream from a connected battery after all?

I would think if the charge circuit sees no battery that it will glow red,not green?

I would look for the plastic insulator first for sure and let us know.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I put a piece of tape on the negative of the battery: the light does not work but the charging LED glows green.

However it appears that KG Tuning's PT16 is actually defective and I suggest he contacts HKEquipment whose warranty service is to my personal experience very good.