New Mini MagLED multi-mode (pictures)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So your new LED multimode MM came with a tailcap with a lanyard attachment point?
Yes, it did. I was a bit surprised, actually, because I thought they had done away with that design for their newer AA line. The number on the body reads 2R000524889 if that means anything to anybody. Perhaps someone can decipher it to tell me if this is earlier or later in the production line. There's also the possibility that it's a production mistake, but it fits fine and the light operates as it should, so who knows.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I bought one of the rebel minimags when they first appeared and it's the same length and has the same tailcap as my original mini magLED.

I wonder if they were simply using up old mini magLED bodies before rolling out a slightly modified body...

The serial number on mine starts with 2T.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The overall length is about a quarter inch shorter than my 1st gen, so it's still longer than the old incan models.

Now my only question is where to find an aluminum "orange peel" reflector that'll drop-in replace the plastic one.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Sorry for the false information.

Looks like I'll be picking up another one of these in the near future.

nekousagi

Newly Enlightened
I checked runime with fully charged ene-loop.
It runs about six hours in high mode.(First three hours bright and dimmer but still bright enough for another three hour)
Unlike previous model this light does't turn off itself when battery is low.
So you need to careful for over discharge when you use rechargable battery.:oops:
If you use ene-loop (2000mAh) you can have decent light for at least five
hours in high mode.:thumbsup:
I was suprized it is a lot longer than previous one.(I thought shorter than previous one):eek:
And it doesn't suddenly turn off so safer I think.
You can see the time for the battery change a lot easier than previous one.:huh:
I am not sure about run time in alkaline battery but I think shorter than that of in ene-loop.:confused:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if these are brighter than a minimag with a tle-5ex drop in?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading through this thread, I stopped by Walmart after work and picked up one of these Mini Maglite 2AA LEDs. I must say, it is pretty impressive coming from Maglite. I think this might become my go-to power outage light with some Eneloops. I'm also contemplating throwing it in the car with some Energizer lithium primaries for all-weather duty.

If anyone is on the fence, I'd say go for it. For ~$20, it's definitely a good little light.

-Robert

GPB

Enlightened
You could also consider swapping the LED from the minimag and the 2D model. Then you get a really bright 2xAA light that runs great on rechargeables and a multi-mode 2xD light that will run forever on low power, and still be fairly bright on high. I've found myself using the Minimag with 2D module almost exclusively lately.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be a great light to have in the glove box of your car. It is not too bright for when having engine trouble at night, and it is one of those lights that you will not miss having in your EDC, but the one you will be glad to have in a bad situation. I can see myself purchasing one just to have, and maybe even attaching it to my bike and leaving it on strobe so I do not get run over by cars during my night riding. Because truthfully, I have so many other high powered lights for head lighting purposes, and you really do not want a high powered strobe light to **** the oncoming cars off... :scowl:

hogger

Newly Enlightened
This may not be news to anyone who owns the new 4 mode aa, but here are the tailcap options that will and will not work on this light.

1) orig aa incan tailcap

2) nite-ize clicky (my fav because you can run thru the modes and not change the focus, momentary also)

3) nite-ize IQ but it flikkers but will give you a very low low in one mode)

4) original aa led tailcap will not work spring is too long

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
All right you guys talked me into it. I picked up a mini mag rebel from Home Depot just under 20 bucks. Its daylite right now so I can't see how bright til tonight however when I compared it to my mini mag with 1 watt niteze it's much brighter and better tint. All modes work as indicated and very useful. SOS doesn't bother me as its great for emergency signaling for help. High and low mode are great. The slow strobe might be good for accidents to ward off cars from the scene. On high it holds its ground when I compared it to my G2 with a solarforce Q5 in it. I put the glass lens from flashlight lens in it that I was using for the niteize mini mag. I then put the plastic lens that came with the new multi mode mini mag on my other mini mag with niteize led. I thinks its a great utility light and power outage light since it uses alkaline batts. Not too cumbersome and bulky and overall available at brick and mortar stores. I waited a while before getting one and Im glad I did so I don't have to always use my expensive lithium 123 batts for my surefire G2 with alum head+ solarforce Q5 in it and 6P with defender cren bezel + DX R2 11836. I will report more later after I try it in the dark.

It says -090 on my led which I believe many were confused over thinking it's 060 which it's not.

Last edited:

nrq007

Newly Enlightened
Its better to buy this flashlight from Costco. Because in just $33 you'll get this Maglite Rebel LED AA and also Maglite LED Rebel 3-D cell. Its a combo pack and worth buying.

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out which "extra" mode is worse...*slow* strobe or SOS :banghead:

I'm completely sold on the E1L UI: low first, then high, then click back to low. My, we are a picky bunch arent' we?

However, I'll give them some credit for a step in the right direction. I'll just have to keep buying their incandescent models for use as hosts.

I really think SOS is useless.

atleast slow strobe can be used with a traffic wand to draw more attention and prolong battery life.

Thats the problem im having with Fenix... Slowest strobe i found was the P2D (gonna order P3D and a TK40 next order)