NEW Nightcore p15 / p16

RBWNY

Enlightened
I just got the P16 yesterday. I'm very pleased so far :thumbsup:. It's throw is the best of any light I own. The mode switch/volt indicator is a nice touch...although I'll admit if the battery is good, (and obviously you're in the dark) you need to feel around a bit to find the switch. The instruction manual says to activate the volt feature, (with the light off) press & hold the mode switch while simultaneously pressing the tailcap switch. It SHOULD say; press and hold the mode switch, THEN FULLY CLICK the tailcap. It'll then count the cell's volts with a series of blinks. It'll do it only once...then the light will switch on to whatever mode it was it previously. It blinks fast...so if YOU blink, you'll miss it and have to do it again. It's accurate to within .01 volt. I've noticed that similar to the Nitecore SRT5...the P16 doesn't seem to like flat-top cells. Oh........and since the batt tube is wide, it'll also accept 18350's!!

I was really impressed the way it was able to light up some trees which I'm guessing has to be several hundred feet.

The shot below (with the P16 on high) is not from 200ft....but more like 75. This light has a good combination of throw and spill.

DSC03276-e1379429353684.jpg

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anybody have beam shots on the P15? It should be a better thrower with a smaller LED and same size head as the P16.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really, P16 has bigger emitter indeed but it's driven much harder so it produces over 2x more light and similar throw (XM-L is 2x bigger than XP-G).

RBWNY

Enlightened
The head of the P16 is pretty large. Out of the many lights I have, only this one, and the 4sevens Maelstrom (first version) have a bezel of this size.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Nitecore P16 because of the 4 levels: low for navigating around the house, next for general flashlight work, next for bright, and NEXT for really bright! It is much lighter than my SRT7 (which has more features). The lighter weight makes it more pocketable for me. The side switch is handy for adjusting the level. The rear switch is on/off.

spc smith

Enlightened
Well I waited on this one. Ive called a couple different light suppliers to include illuminationsupply and lightjunction. From what I have been told the specs on the P15 are way off. I asked both online dealers to subjectively pair the two models off against each other (demo) and from what they have BOTH told me is that the P15 is under specd on throw and lumens. Forgot both the gents names I spoke to today but on both demo samples they told me its definately more throwy than the p16 and srt7. flood is comparable to supposed "brighter" P16. In order and from what was told to me of which had greatest throw: 1st P15, 2nd SRT7, 3rd P16. I have never been much of a fan for less output .

I am diggin this light (P15) if all holds true.

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beam shots of the P15 ?

I am interested in seeing some beam shots of the P15 and possibly some comparison shots with the P16.

Valmet62

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does anyone have beam shots of the P15 ?

Just got mine yesterday,boy!this thing is really retina searing light - compact small the best beam without the infamous donut hole - this I
one is a keeper - the ui is very simple

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is 3-min. step-down in both flashlights. Even in P15 with XP-G2 driven at about 1,5A (much smaller EC2 with the same emitter can tun on turbo 10 times longer!).

well it's a nitecore so these kinds of stupid things aren't really surprising

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone knows to what level it steps down to? manual simply states that it steps down after 3 minutes to an unspecified "lower level"

o4tg

Newly Enlightened
anyone knows to what level it steps down to? manual simply states that it steps down after 3 minutes to an unspecified "lower level"

It steps down to 230 lumens after 3 minutes. I was in love with this light until finding that out. For comparion's sake, the Fenix TK22 has a turbo mode of 680 lumens with comparable throw for 30 minutes, then steps down to 265 lumens.

I've been searching for a work light and I only compared it to the TK22 since they're relatively similar.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
It steps down to 230 lumens after 3 minutes. I was in love with this light until finding that out. For comparion's sake, the Fenix TK22 has a turbo mode of 680 lumens with comparable throw for 30 minutes, then steps down to 265 lumens.

I've been searching for a work light and I only compared it to the TK22 since they're relatively similar.

Hi welcome to cpf!

Just wondering how you got the 230 lumen figure. Got a source for this info? Or did you just compare it with the stepped down tk22?

o4tg

Newly Enlightened
Hi welcome to cpf!

Just wondering how you got the 230 lumen figure. Got a source for this info? Or did you just compare it with the stepped down tk22?
A foreign youtube video that stated it steps down to medium mode. I'm on my phone with a very weak signal at the moment so my youtube app isn't loading. I believe it was Italian if you search for it.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just an interpretation of user's manual. It says: "Note: For user safety and to prevent overheating / failure, the P16 will automatically switch to a lower mode after three minutes of use at its highest level of output." Lower mode is medium which means 230lm in P16.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
A foreign youtube video that stated it steps down to medium mode. I'm on my phone with a very weak signal at the moment so my youtube app isn't loading. I believe it was Italian if you search for it.

did he have some kind of measuring instrument to arrive at the 230? or did he just mention "medium mode" (in german, italian, whatever) and it was you who concluded it was 230? ;)

just trying to get the facts straight :)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's just an interpretation of user's manual. It says: "Note: For user safety and to prevent overheating / failure, the P16 will automatically switch to a lower mode after three minutes of use at its highest level of output." Lower mode is medium which means 230lm in P16.

"lower mode" could mean anything that's lower than 960 lumens. the manual doesn't explicitly say that it would step down to MEDIUM. so unless someone reputable determines this empirically we can't draw any conclusions yet

swan

Banned
Just a guess, i think the p16 will use the same or similar driver as the ec25 giving approx 600lm with xml2 at step down. The ui is very similar.

spc smith

Enlightened
On second hand, I may just get the Armytek Predator pro. Thats a total deal breaker if either of the P series lights steps down to "medium".

o4tg

Newly Enlightened
Okay, straight from the horse's mouth. They have a multi step system. 3 minutes - 850 lumens. 10 minutes - 750 lumens. 30 minutes, and any time after - No less than 560 lumens. I can live with that.

o4tg

Newly Enlightened
Okay again, so the above times are from a facebook message I sent last week. A few days ago I sent an email as well since I had received no response and I'm an impatient SOB. Here's a copy and paste of tye email.

" As for P16, The drop for output is quite slow, and for human's eyes, such change is barely visible.

About 5 mins later in High mode, it will be around 855 lumens, and after about 8 mins, around 713 lumens, after about 22 mins,around 523 lumens, and then it will stay for about 1 hour and 8 mins. Then the lumens will decrease by 30 lumens/min. Thank you.

Any question, please feel free to contact us."