**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity , what about other lights that are sealed "IPX8" surely they will be sealed tight hence gassing would be an issue getting past the seals?

__philippe

Enlightened
Some one-way, semi-permeable membranes are designed to let gas pressure out, yet blocking water ingress.
This type of uni-directional "safety valve" could conceivably be applied to resolve the cell venting event concern.

No idea which flashlight manufacturers, if any, have implemented this concept in some of their products.

__philippe

__philippe

Enlightened
As far as releasing any potential gas buildup in this light, to hopefully protect the switch button rubber, what I did was remove the o-ring at the tailcap and leave the tailcap slightly loose. I'm not worried about rain water getting in there as I'll likely not even use it in the rain. But that's just me. The light still works and any gas should escape out the threads before blowing up the rubber switch cover. It's just a precautionary measure on my part, as I've had no issues to date with the light or switch.

Necessity begets ingenuity !
Wise move indeed, Lite_me, thanks for your ingenious tail-end safety tip...:thumbsup:

(Amazing how users have to resort to endless DIY remedial measures to circumvent the drawbacks of manufacturers' ill-conceived products...)

__philippe

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If gas venting is a major contributory factor, I wonder how the 8aa cell TK41 gets rid of it. (or even the EA8 and D40A)

probably because the cells don't vent? Batteries when treated well normally don't vent. So something is making them produce more hydrogen than can be recombined for the batteries to vent. Ambient temperature shouldn't be an issue

__philippe

Enlightened
Quite so.
Please also consider post #1274 above for some conjectures about an elevated internal temperature event arising in the confined EA4 environment.

__philippe

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
probably because the cells don't vent? Batteries when treated well normally don't vent. So something is making them produce more hydrogen than can be recombined for the batteries to vent. Ambient temperature shouldn't be an issue

I will say again, given the totally sealed tube, and the REALLY thin rubber, you don't need a battery venting.

One thing I noticed in using my light, was that the rubber gradually thinned. It didn't just suddenly balloon overnight; it thined out to where that native air pressure, combined with now easily melting rubber, caused the final failure where it totally melted and deformed ..

d123

Newly Enlightened
I put four of those in one of mine and it worked fine, but I did not notice any difference in brightness. Oddly enough, I tried 4 rechargeable NIZN cells in it, which are just over 1.8v from the charger, and the light would not power on at all. It was like it had some sort of protection built in from overloading!

Im a little late to this party ;) and have just ordered an EA4.

it seems there must have been an update to the light, as before I read through this giant thread I emailed Nitecore about NiZn batteries, and have just got the following response.

Hi,Thank you for your email.

EA4 can be used with Ni-Zn AA 1.6v rechageable batteries.
The normal working voltage is 3--8V

Any question, please feel free to contact us.
Best Regards,
Service Center
[email protected]

SYSMAX Industry Co., Ltd.
Add: Rm1407-08, Glorious Tower, 850 East Dongfeng Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510600 China
Tel: +86 20 8386 2000
Fax: +86 20 8388 2723
Web: www.nitecore.com ;

d123

Newly Enlightened
The EA4 arrived today and as per the Nitecore email, the light functions perfectly with NiZn batteries.

The serial begins 304178xxxxxxxxxx

The batteries were bought from Maplin in the UK.

10825577925_8c4aaf3cea.jpg

Last edited:

Ruislip

Newly Enlightened
As the ea4 rivals have been upgraded to XM-L2, is it possibly an indication of a heat problem that the ea4 has not?

Edit: If the rubber boot is very thin, would not the increase in air pressure inside the light when the temperature rises be sufficient to cause this problem? Then there would be no need to consider battery venting?

Last edited:

Ruislip

Newly Enlightened
In the Nitecore 2014 catalogue there is no change to the EA4 spec. I was hoping for the XM-L2 emitter, but it looks like it can't handle the heat?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L and XM-L2 will provide effectively the same amount of heat driven at the same currents, maybe a tiny bit less with XM-L2 due to slightly increased efficiency.

That said, I have swapped an XM-L2 T5 5A into my EA4 and not only is the tint better and beam a bit tighter and throwier but the beam is noticably cleaner too, with a more symmetrical corona and cleaner hotspot which doesn't appear to darken at all towards the centre, unlike with XM-L.

There was an XM-L2 version sold by Illumination Supply quite a while back but I would really like to see it upgraded permenantly.

Ruislip

Newly Enlightened
Looks a nice mod RF. It makes no sense for Nitecore not to do it? I like the light levels of the ea4, compared to the d40a and the gx25a3 which have a larger step between low and high. But am holding off a purchase, may have to go the eax route, we'll see how it goes. It might be one of those purchases that happen after a bit of alcohol has oiled the wheels??

qavro

Newly Enlightened
Just to add my 2 cents to the balooning issue.
My EA4W (just arrived) has the serial 3110483540023
The rubber on the switch is quite strong to be honest and even on the first step i find it quite hard to press it accidentally
and no chance to do so in regular use inside the pouch either. I've had one in my hand some time ago which i presume was a previous model.
The rubber on that one was considerably softer and quite easy (too easy) to be pressed for my taste.
Long story short i could't be any happier with mine. Maybe one thing but i can live with it: second step on the push button is not silent :) can't have them all though.

Small question though: i suppose mine has the same led like anyone else, right?

ven

Flashaholic
Just to add my 2 cents to the balooning issue.
My EA4W (just arrived) has the serial 3110483540023

Hi gavro,i purchased the "later" version and the rubber switch is not soft from what i have heard on the previous ea4s with issues.To a point it takes some use to the 1/2 press at first due to how stiff and lack of feel,get hang of it eventually but in no way does the button feel the kind of material that will melt easy.

Oh i am more than made up with it too,cracking little pocket rocket:D

serial-3082183520062

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:cool: pic,i think you need a nitecore tm light on the other side of the can:twothumbs

Great little light:thumbsup: