*NEW* Nitecore EC4 & EC4S: (Possible) 2x18650, 2000 Lumens

markr6

Flashaholic
Re: EC4S: 2x18650 2150lm

Thanks for the beamshots comparison markr6.
So, 3 users already that mentioned the tint is a bit greenish when compared to other Nitecore's cool white tint.
Was really wishing the the supposed EC4S neutral white is as nice and pleasing as ZL neutral white

Definitely not a neutral white, even though it says that on the box. If you know me, you know I hate cool whites. But, I'm either starting to come around, or this one is pretty nice. I wouldn't call it green if you're used to cool whites. As far as cool whites go, this one is acceptable. That could just be because of the blinding output - it really turns white on high modes. I think my mention of green just has to do with the fact it's not a nice clean neutral whtite :) I was hoping for a CRISP white like my M30LC2 XP-L HI, which is just whiter than white!

Nice pics, Mark. Thanks.

2150 lumens looks pretty good!

When it comes to the tints in your last three photographs, I think everyone can see the difference in the greens of your lawn and the browns of your garden bed. Something I noticed in addition is the color of the stones ringing your lawn. For the most part, they should be brown and gray. Take a look. Did the gray ones all turn blue in one of those pictures?!!

The stones are hard to go by; they're all different shades of gray, tan, bluish-gray, etc. But the SC62w and MX25L3C show them nearly perfect as you would see in the daylight. The EC4S isn't horrible, but yes it definitely makes them look more blue than real life.

But in the end, I still don't get cool whites. Just look at those photos :rolleyes:

p.s. I'm finding the 2lm > 80lm jump to be a bit much. I think something around 40 would have been ideal. Not a big problem, though.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

But in the end, I still don't get cool whites. Just look at those photos :rolleyes:

When I was studying photography, one of the things that surprised me was that half the battle is learning how to see. At the start, there were times when I found myself saying, "That's not what I took a picture of!"

As a tyro, if I were shown your photographs, I would have said that the stones were gray in all three. I might acknowledge that the photos have different shades, but I would have called all of them gray. Today, I see the subtle shade of blue that are mixed in the with the gray.

I think a similar thing sometimes happens with flashlight tint. I believe that some flashlight owners (but not all!) see tint the way I did before my photographic training. Literally, they are not fully seeing what they are looking at.

Here is tip for those judging tint. Sometimes the easiest way to asses a color cast is to look at the neutral gray objects in a photograph. If you know they are gray in real life, it is usually easy to spot a color shift in an image. Don't look at the rosy reds. Look at the neutrals. (Skin tone is another good thing to check.)

Be forewarned: studying photography means learning why you don't like your own pictures! My pictures used to be good.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gray is way better because it's not as reflective as white. In fact, photographers use gray cards for metering their white balance, and not white cards.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Today, I see the subtle shade of blue that are mixed in the with the gray.

Just saying, gray is a funny color that can look blue until blue is placed next to it. Not arguing, just saying.

And again just saying, most gray cards.........flip them over and they turn into a white card.

Just saying, colors are funny as women see color differently than men and each of us will see colors differently than each other. And then there's the whole color balance thingy and then there's the monitor, is it or is it not dialed in and then there's the.........

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

You sure you're not seeing that rock as gold and white, and not blue and black?

markr6

Flashaholic

Yeah I use a card that has white, black and gray. With one click in Photoshop you can balance the color. But I've gotten so good at it I don't really bother anymore. Still nice to have though for HORRIBLE lighting to begin with like HPS.

I'm really trying not to do my usual tint comparison so much with this EC4S. It's an impressive light, but found out today after comparing with my E05 that it's not very good. I always thought the E05 sucked, but it actually looks better than the EC4S. But I'm still not really complaining since I'll be using this EC4S on 1000lm and 2150lm modes most of the time. On those modes, it's a nice clean white.

AHHHH I still don't get that photo. WHITE AND GOLD!!

Orion79

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I'm new to this world of flashlight and everything related to this. Also sorry for my bad english since I'm a french Canadian.

Before buying I'm the kind of guy that will do a lot a research and already found some usefull information. I'm looking for an EC4S, but looking also to get comparaison VS the EC4 and P36...

very hard to get beamshoot comparaison between those 3..

thank you very much and a pleasure to discuss with you

Alain

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm new to this world of flashlight and everything related to this. Also sorry for my bad english since I'm a french Canadian.

Before buying I'm the kind of guy that will do a lot a research and already found some usefull information. I'm looking for an EC4S, but looking also to get comparaison VS the EC4 and P36...

very hard to get beamshoot comparaison between those 3..

thank you very much and a pleasure to discuss with you

Alain

the jog dial on the P36 is too gimmicky. and murphy's law says it'll land on the jog dial the first time you drop it

get the EC4s. between it and the P36 it's the obvious choice

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

AHHHH I still don't get that photo. WHITE AND GOLD!!

If you hangout online, the dress is blue and black......if you see it in a store window, it's gold and white. The color of the dress is whatever the bozo flashing the image wants you to believe. And if you don't believe me, put a Photoshop color picker on it and see what you get.

Here people are, side-by-side, standing around wondering what they're seeing. I'm just saying, with the images side-by-side, people are seeing what they're seeing.

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
The sun is going down and it's darkened a bit but it's not dark enough. So far, in side-by-side comparisons while both are on high, trying to take the K color of the light out of the mix, the EC4 is a thrower and the EC4S is a smooth floody light.

It's darker now and I added the TM16 into the mix. Each light has it's benefit. The EC4 is a thrower and is an excellent pocket cannon. The EC4S is much more floody and in my opinion, would be an excellent LE light for backyard search and the TM16 is perfect for generalized S&R.

The light of the EC4S comes OTF in a smoother than than the EC4 fashion but because of the EC4S being floody, after a couple hundred feet, it's usefulness falls off. The EC4 picks up at that point but because it's a thrower, the beam falls off at the sides. Each light (EC4, EC4S, TM16) has their own light pattern. In my opinion, no one light is better than the other so regarding the two lights (EC4 & EC4S) it becomes a question of what's your purpose; floody or thrower.

I know I did a squirrely job in my above, so please, be kind.
Thanks for sharing.
My EC4S is on the way, so I'll have the same brothers [emoji4]

Orion79

Newly Enlightened

the jog dial on the P36 is too gimmicky. and murphy's law says it'll land on the jog dial the first time you drop it

get the EC4s. between it and the P36 it's the obvious choice

thanks. I'll keep on comparing each other..

the group buy on the EC4 seems interesting, still waiting for the info. Buy I saw that they might me a group buy for the EC4S... maybe i'll buy both :naughty:

thanks you the info!

markr6

Flashaholic

Just a quick test while I was away for a few days:

EC4S
2x18650 NCR18650GA

Oct 8, 4PM: Cells charged to 4.17v then inserted into EC4S
Oct 9, 7AM: 4.15v
Oct 12, 4PM: 4.13v

.04v lost after 4 days!

So figure 4.17v > 3.69v after 4 weeks. That's pretty bad! I didn't lock it out, but from reviews I don't believe that helps; batteries must be removed. But I will do the test again locking it out and see what happens.

We've talked before how "it doesn't matter if you use it daily". Well, I don't...even if I did, I still wouldn't be comfortable with a light draining so quickly that I had to plan on recharging it before every trip or use when recharging wasn't an option.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I don't...even if I did, I still wouldn't be comfortable with a light draining so quickly that I had to plan on recharging it before every trip or use when recharging wasn't an option.

We check our engine, we check our tires, we pack our bag with razor, toothbrush and tooth paste. We even remember to kiss the wife before leaving. Just saying, when I leave for some time, along with everything else, including aspirin and other OTC junk, I take the charger and extra batteries along with anything else I might need. Forgive me, if someone doesn't want to check the charge of their flashlight and doesn't take time to drop a spare battery or two in the clothes bag with the charger, I don't get it. ???

Maybe a rechargeable USB flashlight like a MH20?

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

We check our engine, we check our tires, we pack our bag with razor, toothbrush and tooth paste. We even remember to kiss the wife before leaving. Just saying, when I leave for some time, along with everything else, including aspirin and other OTC junk, I take the charger and extra batteries along with anything else I might need. Forgive me, if someone doesn't want to check the charge of their flashlight and doesn't take time to drop a spare battery or two in the clothes bag with the charger, I don't get it. ???

I know, it's usually possible to charge it. But if you are in a hurry, want to keep it at the ready, or take it on a trip where you can't charge it...it just sucks knowing it's chewing away those batteries. Just my nitpick about the light.

My car tires...is it ok to have a 2psi/day leak? I mean, I could just reinfalte them every few days.

I did just receive my 1/8 minus green filter sheet today. I removed the lens and traced it with a razor blade. This made the filter the perfect size and it sat right under the lens on the reflector. Very nice fit!! It doesn't do a lot, but just enough to let most of the light thru and give it a slightly more neutral tint. Perfect!!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with you an this issue with the EC4; this is a working flashlight and not a stand-by flashlight for emergency or use when needed use. For my use I change out the batteries on a schedule that has the stand-by current issue never a problem.

markr6

Flashaholic

Understood. Too bad we can actually classify flashlights "standby" and "working", though. I like everything about this light except that, and wish it was BOTH working and standby like so many other flashlights (low drain like 5uA, 50uA even 100uA)