New Nitecore MT21A

phosphor

Enlightened
I have had mine a couple days now, and to be honest, I don't see it outperforming the E25 in throw or brightness. Even on the ceiling bounce I cannot see much if any difference. Build quality is good, but I wish it had some knurling on the head. Turbo is the only mode with the head tight, all others with the head loosened. Mine heats up fairly quick on turbo ( well, warms up, doesn't really get hot) , but I have not noticed a step down after three minutes as stated in the manual. Anybody else have this happening ? This one does have a nice beam pattern, with no artifacts or ripples in it. Did not really care about tail standing or not having a pocket clip, its going in the truck console.
Mine arrived yesterday.....well made. Throw is impressive for a 2xAA, but even on the very lowest mode the center of the beam is too brightly concentrated to use for very close in work.....the glare makes reading particularly difficult. I don't recommend this light to those who make a fuss, demanding a moonlight level on their flashlights. As mentioned above, when set to user defined mode, to get from a higher brightness back to a lower, one always has to go through a "disco strobe"; I dislike this immensely.

No clip included...and it needs one badly because if you set it down randomly it WILL roll off a table top. What does a Chinese piece of bent metal cost....all of 15 cents ? The boys at Nitecore are being way too stingy here. Incidentally, a Fenix 2xAA clip fits the MT21A perfectly and will prevent the annoying roll-away.

Despite my gripes, for about $30, which seems the going rate, this light is a steal. The MT21A will sit by my back door to use as a spotter.

Last edited:

Jayincali

Newly Enlightened
Might have to give this a try, although I dislike the light for not having any anti-roll features... But for $30-35 bucks, it won't break the bank.

simplepotatotree

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived yesterday.....well made. Throw is impressive for a 2xAA, but even on the very lowest mode the center of the beam is too brightly concentrated to use for very close in work.....the glare makes reading particularly difficult. I don't recommend this light to those who make a fuss, demanding a moonlight level on their flashlights. As mentioned above, when set to user defined mode, to get from a higher brightness back to a lower, one always has to go through a "disco strobe"; I dislike this immensely.

No clip included...and it needs one badly because if you set it down randomly it WILL roll off a table top. What does a Chinese piece of bent metal cost....all of 15 cents ? The boys at Nitecore are being way too stingy here. Incidentally, a Fenix 2xAA clip fits the MT21A perfectly and will prevent the annoying roll-away.

Despite my gripes, for about $30, which seems the going rate, this light is a steal. The MT21A will sit by my back door to use as a spotter.

Is there a clip from a particular model of Fenix that will fit the MT21A? Will the LD22 clip work? Thanks for the lead!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by the grooves in the picture the LD22 won't fit. If any clip fits it's likely to be the one used for the MT series rather than a clip from another brand all-together. Whether the clip is available for purchase as an accessory is a whole other story: your best bet is mailing Nitecore about it.

jabara572

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried to Lego the mt21a head onto the mt1a body? This would be a sweet way to make a smallish 14500 thrower

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MT2A and MT21 bodies look nearly identical so the answer is most probably yes. Whether MT21 can handle 4.2V from a 14500 well is unclear. The MT1A loses some modes when the battery is fully charged.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some other minor things about it that 21a that I don't care for as others here have said is the lack of a pocket clip and the new tail cap that doesn't have the protective "wings" like the 2a's do. They're minor differences that to me are kind of big as I like having a pocket clip for all my AA lights, and I also like the ability to tailstand and like having the button protected while it's in my pocket like the 2a's have. The new tailcap seems identical otherwise. Why Nitecore did this I don't know but I don't care for it.

Are their tailcaps swappable?