*NEW* Nitecore TM16

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
Nice light ,but xml2 U2 leds again ......kind of wish they would use mkr or the xhp 50/70 .

My sentiments exactly! At the very least some XP-L HI. Nitecore seems to be getting a little stale these days IMO. One of the things I really like about Olight and especially Acebeam is that they are not afraid to try new emitters and it really keeps us flashaholics enthused and more inclined to spend money on their products.

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
Doc, as I've stated before I have two of the TM06 lights. One stock Nitecore and the second a Vinh modified version with U3 emitters and boosted.

I have soldered rare earth magnets inside the tail cap to allow for flat tap battery use.

Since injuring my hip, I haven't been walking in the evening. Both of the 06 lights have had fully charged Panasonic 18650PF cells installed and locked out using the 3/4-full turn until the blue light stops flashing. On my lights, you can hear the batteries rattling from front to rear. They aren't making contact.

I pulled batteries on both lights as I was typing this reply and can say that both lights the voltage is holding constant @ 4.12 volts. This is after sitting for better than a month.

If you're using button topped batteries it's quite possible that you require the tail cap to be unscrewed further than my lights. My o-rings aren't exposed.

My stock TM06 and vn model both fully lockout with a 3/4 turn using button top Samsung 25R's.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, let me rephrase that. Protected button topped batteries are typically 68-70mm long. That extra 3-4 mm is enough to cause issues with lock out.

I can't use Panasonic wrapped 18650B protected button tops in my TM15/26/36LITE series lights as they are too long for the battery tube to make ground on the gold plated ring inside the lights. I can and do use both the Nitecore and Keeppower button protected cells.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, let me rephrase that. Protected button topped batteries are typically 68-70mm long. That extra 3-4 mm is enough to cause issues with lock out.

OK, good to know. I never tried using unprotected cells (never thought of it, to be honest, as I much prefer protected cells when using multiple cells in series). Good to know there is a way to avoid the issue...but my point stands. The earlier TM lights didn't have this problem, and they used the inherently safer parallel configuration. I think Nitecore has moved backward with the last couple releases.

Granted, that is only my opinion, and someone with a different preference might be happy with the changes. I can only give feedback based on my own use.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, good to know. I never tried using unprotected cells (never thought of it, to be honest, as I much prefer protected cells with multiple cells in series). Good to know there is a way to avoid the issue...but my point stands. The earlier TM lights didn't have this problem, and they used the inherently safer parallel configuration. I think Nitecore has moved backward with the last couple releases.

Granted, that is only my opinion, and someone with a different preference might be happy with the changes. I can only give feedback based on my own use.
Totally agree with this. Why should the users be bothered to go through these extends of sourcing for the right batteries just so they could "help" the light to lock out? That is so silly isn't it?

Jplycke

Newly Enlightened
I will pick one up and give it a try
looks to fill a vacant spot in my tool box
small, light, long range , big throw
john

xed888

Enlightened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLHxFdBV5I

Dont think it locks out with 1/4 turn, if you look at the light.

There is not unanodised part on the end of the body tube to allow for current to be broken

Plus the blue battery voltage indicator on the switch can be seen blinking before you hear that he tightened the tailcap onto the body tube

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
If anyone is interested in picking one of these up at a substantial discount, I've got one that I received on Saturday available in the marketplace.

All in all the TM16 a GREAT light, but I decided to stick with my TK75 (of which the TM16 was intended to potentially replace), due to the expandable battery capability.

markr6

Flashaholic
If anyone is interested in picking one of these up at a substantial discount, I've got one that I received on Saturday available in the marketplace.

All in all the TM16 a GREAT light, but I decided to stick with my TK75 (of which the TM16 was intended to potentially replace), due to the expandable battery capability.

Great deal! I was tempted, but decided to wait to see more reviews and battery drain info.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened

Nevermind, it just sold. Sorry if you missed it!

markr6

Flashaholic
Other than the battery differences, what was your overall impression of the light?

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Other than the battery differences, what was your overall impression of the light?

Outstanding output (clearly greater than my TK75 first generation), with very similar beam quality and features as you would expect from similar reflector geometry (though 4 emitters vs. 3). The build quality is excellent (as all Nitecore products in my opinion), and it feels great in the hand. I suspect that it will be a battery pig however as you would expect with such high output, which is why I decided to keep my TK75 as I have it outfitted with 8 cells vs. 4. If this model had the battery expansion option like the TK75, it would have be a different outcome to be sure.

markr6

Flashaholic
Outstanding output (clearly greater than my TK75 first generation), with very similar beam quality and features as you would expect from similar reflector geometry (though 4 emitters vs. 3). The build quality is excellent (as all Nitecore products in my opinion), and it feels great in the hand. I suspect that it will be a battery pig however as you would expect with such high output, which is why I decided to keep my TK75 as I have it outfitted with 8 cells vs. 4. If this model had the battery expansion option like the TK75, it would have be a different outcome to be sure.

Thanks. I'm really tempted to try this or the Acebeam K60. But seems like so many lights now get crazy hot, quick. I know that's just the nature of pumping out this kind of output, though. Definitely hit a ceiling at the moment and I'm not very hopeful they'll invent a cool running LED anytime soon.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm really tempted to try this or the Acebeam K60. But seems like so many lights now get crazy hot, quick. I know that's just the nature of pumping out this kind of output, though. Definitely hit a ceiling at the moment and I'm not very hopeful they'll invent a cool running LED anytime soon.

I hear you. Off subject, but I work in the aircraft industry, and I keep hearing people acclaim the virtues of the new LED marker/anti-collision lights as they... and I quote; "generate no heat".

What a hoot!

Grant it, they are not running full out (or near to it), like an XM-L2 U2 putting out 1000 lumens, but "on heat". You've just got to laugh. :hahaha:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you. Off subject, but I work in the aircraft industry, and I keep hearing people acclaim the virtues of the new LED marker/anti-collision lights as they... and I quote; "generate no heat".

What a hoot!

Grant it, they are not running full out (or near to it), like an XM-L2 U2 putting out 1000 lumens, but "on heat". You've just got to laugh. :hahaha:
Relatively speaking, compared to the lights they use now, they don't put out any heat. I recall the first LED lights were described the same way. Wait till they start uping the power on those lights and they will find out the truth.

Bruno28

Enlightened
My tm16 arrived :)
Will only have time to open it when I get home. But I'll try to do a mini review with photos if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a great new gen Nitecore! Nitecore really seems to have finally stepped up their quality game in 2015. My new MH20 is the most impressive Nitecore I have ever had. TM16 looks like it is coming from the "new" Nitecore standards ie finally matching Fenix in machining, anodization etc with what looks like well thought out controls etc. Id buy the light but the 2015 TK75 upgrade drops in a month or two....