New Nova Laser

360freak

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new Nova x45 laser. It has a peak output of 80 mw, and an average of 45. When I shine it indoors at walls and stuff, just looking at the dot makes my eyes and head hurt a little, why is this, and is it dangerous? There is an IR filter by the way.

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how many mW your actual laser is putting out since they vary. I've read that in many cases, actual output is lower than what is stated. But assuming you're getting "at least" 30 mW, then that can be dangerous if you hit a reflective surface such as glass or metal. I recommend getting safety goggles rated for 532nm (if I'm correct in assuming your Nova laser is green).

Even a 30mW produces a very bright spot. There probably is an IR filter, as most laser manufacturers employ them. However, if your laser does indeed peak around 80 (could be more or less), then definately your biggest danger would be back-reflection.

If looking at the dot hurts, then don't do it. If you get goggles you can still see the spot and the beam at night, but they will provide excellent safety. I've used goggles for a 1 Watt (1000 mW) argon laser, at a slightly different green (514nm), and I could stare at the dot with them on. Look for OD (optical density) of at least 3 or 4.

Last edited:

jrv

Newly Enlightened
There probably is an IR filter, as most laser manufacturers employ them.
I'm not sure I'd say that on a forum where so many people are willling to shop at DealExtreme or Kaidomain.

But, I think Nova Laser is reputable and has an IR filter. Based on comparison with my Optotronics RPL-300 I think the Nova X175 probably really is putting out close to 175 mW of green, which loosely implies an IR filter, so there probably in one on the X45 too.

If looking at the dot hurts, then don't do it. If you get goggles you can still see the spot and the beam at night, but they will provide excellent safety.
I emphatically agree! If it hurts that's a warning sign - perhaps the last before permanent vision loss. Especially if there is no IR filter 45 mW is plenty strong enough to cause damage.

The goggles I use completely block the beam but not the spot. I *always* wear the goggles whenever the laser is out of the box just in case the switches get pressed in handling or battery changing, and don't take them off until everything is ready to go ... and the goggles go back on when it's time to put the laser away or I want to change targets. I do that for *every* laser over 5 mW I have.

To say again: 45 mW is a lot of laser and needs a lot of respect. If the beam finds some shiny holiday glitter and reflects back at you that's bad.

360freak

Newly Enlightened
i doubt any permenant vision loss will come. thats more with IR when you dont realize that your getting hurt. regardless, im getting goggles.

oh, and does anyone know where i can get a cool set of like reflecting prisms and stuff for my laser? wickedlasers has them but theyre wickedexpensive

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
Great advice. I'm not too well versed in manufacturing processes, so I made an assumption there. I wonder if DealExtreme's higher end uses IR filters.

I'm not sure I'd say that on a forum where so many people are willling to shop at DealExtreme or Kaidomain.

It had been about 7 years since I used that 1W green, so maybe the goggles did block the beam. I had forgotten. When working with higher power lasers, wouldn't it be safer to be able to see where the beam is so you can minimize burning yourself or stuff around you?

The goggles I use completely block the beam but not the spot.

Even my 5mW reflected quite nicely off my fake wood linoleum flooring, and caused scattering from a white plastic walmart bag. So you never know what might scatter the light or how much. Best do testing with a 5mW first before you pull out the big guns.

To say again: 45 mW is a lot of laser and needs a lot of respect. If the beam finds some shiny holiday glitter and reflects back at you that's bad.

Last edited:

jrv

Newly Enlightened
Great advice. I'm not too well versed in manufacturing processes, so I made an assumption there. I wonder if DealExtreme's higher end uses IR filters.
I would be *very*surprised if any of their lasers do, unless they explicitly go out of their way to state that there definitely is an IR filter. Even if a "40 mW" were found to actually put out 40 mW of green I'd expect a lot of IR, because that IR filter probably isn't there since it isn't free.

I don't claim that KD or DX are trying to rip people off - I think people forget that these are Chinese retailers with Chinese retailing principles, meaning that *every* *single* *penny* of cost is removed wherever possible - and the IR filter is clearly a luxury by those standards unless it's a listed selling point.

It had been about 7 years since I used that 1W green, so maybe the goggles did block the beam. I had forgotten. When working with higher power lasers, wouldn't it be safer to be able to see where the beam is so you can minimize burning yourself or stuff around you?
The original post is about a 45 mW (80 mW peak) laser. I have no idea about 1W - that's way out of my league.

I avoid situations with reflections. If I see any green as I take the goggles off, I let go of the laser button immediately. I guess if you're playing with optics being able to see the beam is an advantage. I'm not brave enough to use the big boys indoors where the beam is going to reflect a bunch times before dissipating...

I'm mostly worried about surprise activations of the laser when changing batteries or getting/storing in the case. A couple of my "pointers", which go up to 180 mW, only have a momentary button on the barrel and accidental activation is a real possibility. Once it's in my hands and I've verified where the button is (and which end is which!) etc I'm not as concerned.

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm not taking over this thread, but when I did work at the laser lab, we would focus the laser into crystals to check their absorption and emission spectra. So there were mirrors, lenses, and integrating spheres involved.

From what I remember, the 1W was nice, but didn't seem super impressive. Maybe it wasn't really putting 1W since I didn't measure it.

The original post is about a 45 mW (80 mW peak) laser. I have no idea about 1W - that's way out of my league.

I avoid situations with reflections. If I see any green as I take the goggles off, I let go of the laser button immediately. I guess if you're playing with optics being able to see the beam is an advantage. I'm not brave enough to use the big boys indoors where the beam is going to reflect a bunch times before dissipating...