New odd thing at Wal-Mart.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One of my regrets is never getting gold coins when the price of gold bottomed out at around $300 in the late 1990s. I could have gotten $20 gold pieces in near mint condition for ~$300, give or take.
Those times when gold does go down in price, buy up as much as you can. Precious metals will always go back up in value, and tend to stay there most of the time. When they do go down.... only a matter of time before they go right back up. Let's face it, no one is discovering a massive gold reserve buried underground the size of Rhode Island, that would cause gold to become practically worthless.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If we have the highest level Zero Day hack to our communications/grid/satellites,
I'll give you one guess what 'commodity' will have the most value.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canada eliminated penny from cash transactions several years ago, rounding up down to the nearest nickel is established. Seems to work well. I believe pennies are still accepted (within the number a merchant is required to accept) but nobody uses them so it's a non-issue. I still keep a couple in my pocket for old times sake.

Dave

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Not Wal-Mart but local Businesses here are declining cash including fast food chains, it used to be illegal to refuse legal tender (clearly legislation has been changed) we've even got Cashless Bank Branches, this is an assault on personal freedom and autonomy 🤕

The last couple of times I've been caught with a shop pulling that, I've had quite a lot of melting/cooling product sitting in the basket. Asking them what they'd have me do with cash in hand, they had no response. I walked. And the cost was to assign somebody to re-stock all that product. On them, if that's the way they want to "do" business. Seems a fairly weak business model, if you ask me. But, it seems the trendy thing to do, among a certain class of retail businesses.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
+

If we have the highest level Zero Day hack to our communications/grid/satellites,
I'll give you one guess what 'commodity' will have the most value.
Gold pressed latinum?
Those times when gold does go down in price, buy up as much as you can. Precious metals will always go back up in value, and tend to stay there most of the time. When they do go down.... only a matter of time before they go right back up. Let's face it, no one is discovering a massive gold reserve buried underground the size of Rhode Island, that would cause gold to become practically worthless.
Not now, but when we can economically mine asteroids gold, and every other precious metal, will likely be worth far less. We'll be mining the asteroids mostly for other stuff, but gold will be one of the byproducts.

Fun fact-the Earth contains enough gold to cover the entire surface to a depth of about 1.5 feet. Of course, most of this gold sank into the core when the Earth was formed, so it's obviously unobtainable. Were that not the case, we could literally pave the streets in gold. That's how little it would be worth.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fun fact-the Earth contains enough gold to cover the entire surface to a depth of about 1.5 feet. Of course, most of this gold sank into the core when the Earth was formed, so it's obviously unobtainable. Were that not the case, we could literally pave the streets in gold. That's how little it would be worth.
Many years back, someone used a literal square model on a foot-ball field backdrop to show how much gold exists in the world. It was impressive just how small that cube of gold was. Didn't even take up 1/4th of the field.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Many years back, someone used a literal square model on a foot-ball field backdrop to show how much gold exists in the world. It was impressive just how small that cube of gold was. Didn't even take up 1/4th of the field.
I remember that. Here's a series of good visualizations of how rare gold is, at least on the surface:

3_gun

Enlightened
Sadly shops not taking cash is often due to the crime rates in the area. Armed robbery is easy, stealing 0s & 1s is much harder[sometimes]. If you find yourself in a place that doesn't take cash, take the hint & get out of that area

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems a fairly weak business model, if you ask me. But, it seems the trendy thing to do, among a certain class of retail businesses.

Agreed it's a terrible business model but those adopting it are encouraged/emboldened by the actions of major banking institutions, reducing reliance on Cash in Transit drives up profits further still with Australia's 2 largest Cash Transit companies merging earlier this year.

Banks stop offering cash, Businesses stop accepting cash, given time the Banking sector will claim people "prefer cashless" to justify their changes what they NEVER admit was the Public had little choice, the same approach was used to justify branch closures in favour of ATMs.

The people didn't get a say in the matter, no political parties offered resistance...

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The transit system here used to take cash or bus tickets, or monthly pass. Then a tap card payment system ("Presto") was added, but tickets were discontinued. Tickets were ideal for occasional users, just keep some in your wallet. They are still required to accept cash. I carry little bags of coins, as the card option overhead is not desired. Latest is they accept regular credit cards, but cash remains.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a coin collector per se, I have collected pennies and nickels from regular circulation, decided to save at least one coin from each year as far back as I can go. Some years must have been popular for minting, others are gaps. I've collected back to the 1950's, a few into the '40s, nothing earlier. Amazing that these have been in circulation for so long. Occasionally something rare turns up such as a 1945 Canadian "Victory" nickel, and a 1946 silver quarter.

Dave