*new* Olight S1 - XM-L2, (R)CR123

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Just recieved an S1 Ti, nice and compact.
Olight RCR fits with no issues.
No memory mode on moonlight, doesn't affect me as I don't use moonlight mode.
Compared to S10 NW, the tint is much more pleasing.
What I"m not happy about is the 10 minute reset back to low. Had I known this or read this thread I wouldn't of bought it.
I also have an S2 coming in, I hope this "safety feature" isn't carried over.

Dimethyl

Newly Enlightened
What I"m not happy about is the 10 minute reset back to low. Had I known this or read this thread I wouldn't of bought it.
I also have an S2 coming in, I hope this "safety feature" isn't carried over.

The S2 has a 10 minute memory limit for turbo (950lm). There is, however, no such limit for the high mode (400lm).

swan

Banned
I just got the NW S1 polished Titanium today and thought i would post a couple of observations from my sample. The first thing i normally do with a new light is throw in a fresh cell and run it on my homemade light box.
I lucked out here, with neutrals normally having less grunt, i got a hot rod. It is actually 6% brighter than my CW S1 - yee ha! I measure it at 600 + lumens on a new aw imr cell.
The TI really is very well made and the finish is incredible giving it a very high class feel and appearance.
One thing of note is tint is on the warmer side of neutral.
I have been using my aluminium S1 daily for a couple of months now and it has exceeded all expectations and put my zebralight sc52 in to retirement. This new superb Ti S1 will now take number one position as my edc.
Just a comment on the new ui, i find if i use my light in the middle of the night i find myself doing the longer press for moonlight any way because i cant always remember what mode i left it on and [as stated above] the high can be accessed with a double click.
Although i thought i would prefer the earlier ui, after using this special little light for a couple hours, its not really that different and non issue for me.

markr6

Flashaholic
I finally bought one of these...just the standard black version.

WOW!!!!!!! TINY!!! All the photos online just seem to double the size of it.

1. Tint: an absolute joke! The worst (cool white) I've seen on any light so far.
2. UI: another joke. It takes FOREVER to cycle thru. Slow, slow, slow.

I can't believe these are so popular! I only paid about $16 since I had a voucher, so I don't really care. And it will be used as a light in my shed, which I rarely go into when it's dark. I just wanted something in there in case I go out and forget to take a light with me. The CR123 aspect of the light makes sense since it will see very hot and cold temps.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally bought one of these...just the standard black version.

WOW!!!!!!! TINY!!! All the photos online just seem to double the size of it.

1. Tint: an absolute joke! The worst (cool white) I've seen on any light so far.
2. UI: another joke. It takes FOREVER to cycle thru. Slow, slow, slow.

I can't believe these are so popular! I only paid about $16 since I had a voucher, so I don't really care. And it will be used as a light in my shed, which I rarely go into when it's dark. I just wanted something in there in case I go out and forget to take a light with me. The CR123 aspect of the light makes sense since it will see very hot and cold temps.

You either received a bad light or you have a very different set of eyes to most of us happy flashaholics.

My S1 tint is beautiful in cool white.

I use RCR123 rechargeable batteries that last long enough to suit the needs of a pocket EDC.

The UI is typical of Olight and I do not mind cycling around to get the different modes.

It does have some shortcuts.

I have bought 3 black ones for myself and 2 rose gold ones as presents and all of them have perfectly nice cool white tints.

CHEERS

Last edited:

firsttothescene

Enlightened
You either received a bad light or you have a very different set of eyes to most of us happy flashaholics.

I use RCR123 rechargeable batteries that last long enough to suit the needs of a pocket EDC.

The UI is typical of Olight and I do not mind cycling around to get the different modes.

I have bought 3 black ones for myself and 2 rose gold ones as presents and all of them have perfectly nice cool white tints.

CHEERS
+1 ��

firsttothescene

Enlightened

CHEERS
+1 😁

nimdabew

Enlightened
I must be one of the few (if any) ones that is underwhelmed by the light. I find the smaller size to be a determent since it makes the light harder to hold since my hand feels like it folds around the light if I don't hold it with my finger tips. Maybe it is the Cu body since it is heavier, or maybe since I am used to my PD22UEwhich has a longer body. It is a nice light, and I have one in Al, Cu, and Ti, but if I had purchased the S1 before the Cu and Ti, I probably wouldn't have purchased the Cu and Ti. I would probably have purchased the PD25 with the extra cash and a few 12 racks of beer instead.

swan

Banned
After using my exceptional titanium s1 for a couple of weeks i love every thing about it - except the neutral/warm tint.

I prefer the premium white tint of my cw black S1, which renders colours accurately, without that old incandescent yellow/orange tint that neutral/warm tinted leds tend to have.

The tir optic excels in this tiny light, with zero tint shift right across the white beam with a wide equal intensity which is very handy in an edc.

I have tried to like the neutral tint, but it just makes everything yellow , i just want it to have the premium tint of my cw one. If i can slip the bezel out , i just found a copper 14mm t-pad and a xml2 u4 1a at cutters electronics, time to make the Ti S1 how it should of been, equal to the premium tint of my premium cw aluminium model.

This little light is the best edc of 2015, terrific value, tiny size, great beam [no tint shift like zebralight yellow/green coronas] and 5 yrs warranty.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Swan, the tint color is different across various versions of the S1?

I haven't looked into this but I guess I would have assumed they would utilize the same LED... I own the S2 and I like the beam coloration...

swan

Banned

I haven't looked into this but I guess I would have assumed they would utilize the same LED... I own the S2 and I like the beam coloration...

Hey wolfgaze, yes they have Cool white and Neutral white in the various s1 models. I have the titanium nw polished and the aluminium black cw versions.
I know the ti polished and ti bead blasted come in nw only and the black in cw only - but im not sure on the brass and coppers.

akhyar

Enlightened

Black (Alu), Copper - Cool white
Titanium, Brass - Neutral white

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some have the cool white XM-L2 - some have the neutral. Beyond my 4 I'm not sure how it breaks down, but my aluminum S1 is cool white - my rose copper, bead blast ti and polished ti are all neutral white. Neutral is my preference, but the cool white is nice - mine has no green tint; just a nice, creamy white.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I find my sc32w uncomfortably short to hold. If the aluminum (lightest weight) model came with a keychain loop and no magnet (I carry flash drive on keychain) it might make a nice keychain light. I used to carry a D25C on my keychain but finally decided it was a little too long and heavy..

Does anybody carry the s1 on your keychain? If so how about a picture? How is it working out for you?

akhyar

Enlightened
I find my sc32w uncomfortably short to hold. If the aluminum (lightest weight) model came with a keychain loop and no magnet (I carry flash drive on keychain) it might make a nice keychain light. I used to carry a D25C on my keychain but finally decided it was a little too long and heavy..

Does anybody carry the s1 on your keychain? If so how about a picture? How is it working out for you?

I've seen some posts that the magnet inside the tailcap is easily removable.
I find it too big for a keychain light as my keychain lights are the diminutive CooYoo Quantum or the Nitecore Tube :p

flashlightsandgolf

Newly Enlightened
Loving the S1 light. I need a couple more for each car. I have both the NW and CW version and don't see anything wrong with their output