New rules for German bicycle lights..

Brum

Newly Enlightened
JnC said:
Hello Duitsers. Wij willen onze fietsen achter.
Vertaalmachine? Dat is in ieder geval geen Nederlands.
Klopt geen kneup van.
Terug = back
Maar back = terug, achter, rug
Dus.

Translate that!

:goodjob:

But, on topic. Would this increase sales of Lupine lights? They should get 10lux, won't be easy but they'll manage. :)
In Holland the biggest issue isnt the brightness of the lights, but the pure fact of having a light, or putting it on. But with all the cyclingpaths and highest bicycle-to-person (probalby more then 1) ratio it's quite safe.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
Studies in the UK have found that drivers give bi-cyclists more space if they are NOT wearing helmets. Further, although you are more likely to sustain a more serious injury if you not correctly wearing a suitable helmet, you are much less likely to be involved in an accident compared to if you are wearing one.

So the ideal would be an invisible helmet, or one that is disguised as
something else.

Further, whilst I think that 'flashing' front and rear lights used by cyclists is okay in principle I also believe they should not be used in isolation

Flashing lights may help during the day (solid ones are worthless then).
Obviously, one needs a solid-on headlight at night, but I don't see anything
wrong with a flashing taillight. That's what everybody uses on bikes around here.

Size15's

Flashaholic
AndyTiedye said:
Flashing lights may help during the day (solid ones are worthless then).
Obviously, one needs a solid-on headlight at night, but I don't see anything
wrong with a flashing taillight. That's what everybody uses on bikes around here.

My point was that a flashing taillight should not be the only taillight you have. It should be additional to the constant-on taillight.

Martin

Enlightened
Talking from a motorist's standpoint, both 4 Lux and 10 Lux lights are good enough to see a cyclist.
My elderly neighbor she rides a 1970 bike with the original light system, lens of headlight has gone yellow, 2.4 W wolfram filament bulb, absolutely no problem seeing her.
Then there are young shots riding mountainbikes with no lights or depleted battery lights. I had several near misses. I just hope they always see my car and get out of my way.

From a cyclist's perspective, 10 Lux are just OK to go 20 km/h on a smooth road or trail. More light is always better.

I assume the upgrade of the German requirements has been made because more is generally better and with the advance of technology, it's affordable. Quality lights have been better than this for years, so we will just see the real bad products disappear.

InfidelCastro said:
So everyone who has less than ten lux has to buy new headlights for their bikes. Nannystatism at its finest!
No need to upgrade existing installations.

Last edited:

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
From a car drivers point of view, among the myriad light sources all around urban roads a feeble bike light hardly stands out - I'm strongly in favour of the latest flashing LED arrays FRONT and BACK. As usual laws that ban flashing lights on bikes are too narrow minded and don't help anyone.
As a cyclist I take my own advice and more importantly ride smack bang in the middle of my lane. If anyone wants to pass me, they have to wait for a gap and overtake properly not think that they can squeeze past at full speed. That's called defensive riding. In town a bike's near as fast as a car anyway so this sort of assertive attitude has a lot of benefit for the rider with very little real inconvenience to motor traffic.
Cheers,

Martin

Enlightened
vandrecken said:
As a cyclist I take my own advice and more importantly ride smack bang in the middle of my lane.
That is indeed the best way to do it. Worked very well for me during several years spent in Bangkok (except when blocking a vehicle with a pressure horn).

Germany has a rule that a motorist must pass a bike at a min distance of 2m ! If not possible, stay behind.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Brum said:
Vertaalmachine? Dat is in ieder geval geen Nederlands.
Klopt geen kneup van.
Terug = back
Maar back = terug, achter, rug
Dus.

Translate that!

whatever the translation is, it's a lame joke...

And for those who don't have a lot of knowledge of dutch history: It's a reference to WW2 when german invaders confiscated a lot of bicycles (and other means of transportation) in the netherlands...

soapy

Newly Enlightened
The law in the UK says you may only, and must have, a static incan on your bike, front and back, for riding after lighting up time. Anyone with a clue has that plus a flasher on a headband. Sadly, kids round here think it cool to remove even the reflectors from the front and back of the bike, and often all you see is the pedal edges!

The police should simply confiscate those bikes without the mandatory reflectors on the spot, for crushing if the fine isn't paid. Make the fine £50, (and actually bother enforcing it!) then they would get lights!

I often feel like getting a load of D cell lights, and throwing them *really hard* at the little T"£%$, especially when they nearly kill themselves under my wheels.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dadof6 said:
This puts me in a bit of a quandary. I wear a helmet because I care about my safety and, living in the South of the U.S., most drivers either don't see you, or if they do see you, see you as sport...

Maybe hide the helmet under a cowboy hat.

Christexan

Enlightened
Alternating red/blue (in the states) LED arrays on each side of the bike, front and back... ignoring legality, and it wouldn't do much in the day, at night you'd probably get a wide berth and much slowing down until they were passing the "police motorcycle" and realized what was up...

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martin said:
..are coming into effect on 29.Nov:

Headlights must achieve at least 10 Lux. Until now, headlights had to achieve 4 Lux / 7 Lux (standard incan / halogen incan).

Dynamos now have to achieve a min efficiency of 30%.

Dynamos must contain overvoltage protection (in the case of dynamo hubs, this may be external).

Anything below this standard may no longer be manufactured or imported, while shops may still sell whatever stock they have.

I've received this info from Busch & Mueller today.

I have only one question: 10 lux.. at what distance?? 1000 metres? or 100,, or 1 ??

Even a led-display of an alarmclock can produce 10 lux, depends on how close you measure it !!

Regards,

Ra.

Nubo

Enlightened
If you want motorists to give you more space, get a t-shirt/jersey with this on the back:

support
your local
P O L I C E

Lol.

I find a good HID headlamp does wonders as well. And if there's any chance you'll be out in darkness, forget fashion and plaster that bike with reflective tape. Best/cheapest insurance you can find.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brum said:
But, on topic. Would this increase sales of Lupine lights? They should get 10lux, won't be easy but they'll manage.
Amazingly, no. The recent Lupine lights will not fulfil the German law, as they have a lousy light distribution (for road bicycling).
Of course, the law is much more complicated as saying that you need a minimum of 10lx at a specific distance.
It also takes care about blinding other trafic members.

Lupine likes to advertize their light as 'too bright for German regulations' which is just marketing and misleading.
They are either not able or not willing to make a light with a suitable light distribution.

Bumm, on the other hand, was introducing even a HID bicycle light with German certification. No problem for them.

Blinking lights: It is well known that blinking lights as the only lights make it difficult to gues distance.

And I personally hate to ride behind a bicyclist with a blinking taillight.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Lights in Holland used to have a minimum of 3Watts for a incan light. Dunno what the status is at this moment.
We have a lot of seperated roads for cyclists which makes it a lot safer. But I prefer blinking lights over anything! I don't care how far away they are, as long as I can spot them on time!
The biggest issue for me are scooters/moped/bike lights that put out a lot of lumen and try to illuminate the sky! right in to my eyes. Several times I had to stop with my tiny car (nissan micra, it IS small) because I couldnt see behind the light. But when I put on my big lights, they get angry! strage people :)
But everything is better than a biker without light and with dark clothes. You could run them over without noticing besides the bump.

I don't bike a lot anymore, but I like to walk long distances, especially in the evening/sunset or early moring. See birds, animals, enjoy nature etc. etc. I don't like to wear reflective vests but I do use some sort of light. A simple 6P with a red filter can do the job, although I like to use a M3 as well :D . If a car approaches I just flash a couple of times and the don't know how to get back to the proper speed limit! And than pass me at 5/10 km/h. Works like charm.

Martin

Enlightened
Ra said:
I have only one question: 10 lux.. at what distance?? 1000 metres? or 100,, or 1 ??

The 10 Lux refer to a distance of 10 meters, but not sure if measured on the road or on a (vertical) wall. Let me find out some details on how this test is done.

kozmik

Newly Enlightened
I doubt they'll be checking the lux on existing lights, unless they're really pathetic. I think this is more an effort to set manufacturing/import standards from here on out.

As fas an "nannystatism" goes, if you accept that automobile drivers must have headlamps of a certain standard for safety and to accident avoidance (for their safety AND importantly that of others) and if you accept that bicycles should be allowed to share the road under equivilent traffic rules, then it's reasonable to set standards for bicycles as well.

Sorry to offend any anarchists. ;)

Where i live we have a different problem with headlamps i.e. "tuners" whose super bright blue "fashion" headlamps are utterly blinding to oncoming traffic and undimmed rearview mirrors. Of course, what do you expect from people who think "performance" is achieved by a big/loud chrome muffler, a rear spoiler half the size of the car, and my personal favorite, the "R-Type" sticker.
:shrug:

Last edited:

kozmik

Newly Enlightened
Martin said:
Germany has a rule that a motorist must pass a bike at a min distance of 2m ! If not possible, stay behind..

Good rule!

I doubt it's always followed, but it does make clear who'll be liable if the vehicle cuts it too close, which must deter such behavior.

Last edited:

schrenz

Enlightened
PeLu said:
Amazingly, no. The recent Lupine lights will not fulfil the German law, as they have a lousy light distribution (for road bicycling).
Of course, the law is much more complicated as saying that you need a minimum of 10lx at a specific distance.

But in the real life, the police doesn't car, if your bike-light full-fills the traffic-laws, they only proof, if you have any light on your bike.
I personelly have a 10W + 35W Xenon (Nightpro) on my bike, and a policeman find it only "interessting" :laughing: .

Greets Jens

Martin

Enlightened
schrenz said:
But in the real life, the police doesn't car, if your bike-light full-fills the traffic-laws, they only proof, if you have any light on your bike.
I personelly have a 10W + 35W Xenon (Nightpro) on my bike, and a policeman find it only "interessting" :laughing: .

Well, the fine for going without light is EUR 10.
The fine for running an unapproved light is EUR 15.
A lot depends on the police officer, though.

If anything happens, the insurances will actually care a lot abt little details.