New rules for German bicycle lights..

pec50

Enlightened
Interestingly, studies regarding first responder vehicles show that amber lighting at motorists eye level is the most effective at accident avoidance. Some of the more "exotic" lighting options actually caused motorists to drive into first responders due to the captivating effects of the lighting. And, finally, there are the drunk drivers ...

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
We often see similar strobes and beacons in use at raves and rock concert light shows,
where they are used preciselly because of their disorienting properties.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martin said:
A lot depends on the police officer, though.

If anything happens, the insurances will actually care a lot abt little details.
Exactly.
I'm quite happy with my legal light and have no real reason to use an other one.

kozmik said:
I doubt they'll be checking the lux on existing lights,
Yes, they do.

Last edited:

kozmik

Newly Enlightened
PeLu said:
Yes, they do.

You clipped the last part of my sentance:

"I doubt they'll be checking the lux on existing lights, unless they're really pathetic."

In case it wasn't clear, I meant the light, not the police. i.e. a light clearly below the standard (which is fairly low to begin with) would, and should, be checked.

btw, I've never understood when some bikers, not the better bikers, complain when having to obey the same rules of the road as everyone else. Like traffic lights and speed requirements for example. similarly, I don't understand it when the same people then go and (rightfully) complain about the lack of regulation of vehicles which are road hazards and the lack of enforcement regarding bad drivers, and how vulnerable they are on the road, without any sense of irony.

bagman

Enlightened
The law in the UK says you may only, and must have, a static incan on your bike, front and back, for riding after lighting up time.[/QUOTE]

They changed the law some time this year to allow flashing lights on bikes (including allowing the Police to have flashing blue's on bikes :D) but I'm not sure if you have to have a static one as well? I will look it up when I return to work.

soapy said:
The police should simply confiscate those bikes without the mandatory reflectors on the spot, for crushing if the fine isn't paid. Make the fine £50, (and actually bother enforcing it!) then they would get lights!

splendid idea :D

BTW - I recently tried out my SF M3T running the HOLA with a twinfish mount on my bike in the fog, it was great :D

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHen I ride at night I use a 10 watt halogen bulb and a flashing (like about as bright as a bunc hof A2's taped together on the back aimed at the idiots faces.) CLosest I ever got to being hit was early morning on my way to school dumbass almost hit me in a freaking cross walk. WIthin about 1 foot at a screachign hult. Then my biek got stolen and I don't have a shotgun to hunt them down but I will need to buy a new bike.

schrenz

Enlightened
PeLu said:
Exactly.
I'm quite happy with my legal light and have no real reason to use an other one.

Yes, they do.

Makes a lot of fun :laughing: .

I think, my light is is only rather as bright as a car light, correcty installed it doesn't blind anyone.
In our city so many bikers have no light on their bike, most policeman are happy to see any kind of light, legal or not.
Greets Jens

Martin

Enlightened
PeLu said:
Yes, they do.
I believe they do check the Lux readings in Austria. Amazing Austrian police..
The guys stopped me ones with their police boat while I was going on the Lake of Geneva with my pedal boat. They claimed my boat was overloaded and it had no license number. I never knew it needed one..

Martin

Enlightened
Back to the 10 Lux and how they are measured:

This German standard is called "TA23" and it's found within StVZO (anything related road & traffic).
Imagine a wall 10m away from the light and 90deg to the beam. The wall is at least 2.8m wide and 2m high and split into multiple measurment zones. Link to details. Another link to details.
The beam pattern seen on the wall will typically have a very bright spot in the middle and go darker to the left and right as well as down. The brightest spot (aligned with the HV-zone - refer to links above) has to be 10 Lux min. There are several measurement zones defined to the left, right and down from the hotspot. The minimum required light intensity is specified here. The second row of the table (Sollwerte) is what has to be met.
In the area above the hotspot (marked "Zone 1"), the intensity must not exceed 2 Lux as not to disturb oncoming traffic.

I put this together from info found on enhydralutris.de website and from e-mails exchanged with bumm.de

luigi

Enlightened
Studies in Buenos Aires have shown that we don't know what happens if you drive a bike because not enogh people has survived the ride to tell their stories.
Scientists think that this strange link between death and using a bike may be related to this specimen:

Any tips for bike survival in a huge city full of agressive drivers?

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Can't euros just drive grownup bikes? Get a Harley! LOL..

But on a bike it is accepted (not legal) to be drunk :grin2:, so how else do you go to a pub?
That is also the reason why nobody in the netherlands, except small children and foreign tourists, were helmets. There is no place to store it in the pub or whatever destination you have.

But why do germans need a certain efficiency of a dynamo? I would say light output is the only thing that really matters.

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
luigi said:
Studies in Buenos Aires have shown that we don't know what happens if you drive a bike because not enogh people has survived the ride to tell their stories.
Scientists think that this strange link between death and using a bike may be related to this specimen:

Any tips for bike survival in a huge city full of agressive drivers?

Move :lolsign:

Pablo

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
Some of the bike lights I've seen are brighter than the ones on most Harleys.
Who needs a bright light when your (motor)bike is as large as a regular european car and the sound of its engine pipes are as loud as a train horn? Harleys give instant respect.

Grown-up people riding bicycles with lights and gadgets reminds me of the "The 40 years Old Virgin" character...
:lolsign:

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
I actually considered the flashing LED tail light arrays, since getting my Photon Freedom in blue... and another coming in red... rather amusing idea.

Nubo's "support your local Police" comment really made me chuckle.

Drunk drivers and people being attracted towards exotic lights seems like a bad idea... besides, i'd much rather not get shot in a case of mistaken identity with a large print POLICE emblem. :p

schrenz

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Who needs a bright light when your (motor)bike is as large as a regular european car and the sound of its engine pipes are as loud as a train horn? Harleys give instant respect.

Grown-up people riding bicycles with lights and gadgets reminds me of the "The 40 years Old Virgin" character...
:lolsign:

and as fast as the average european bicycle :nana:

;)

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Who needs a bright light when your (motor)bike is as large as a regular european car

Well, why not just buy a car then? keeps you dry when it's raining too... :)

Outdoors Fanatic said:
and the sound of its engine pipes are as loud as a train horn? Harleys give instant respect.

Instant respect AND instant fines... We're in europe, where a loud pipe can get you a really nice mandatory financial donation to the government...

Martin

Enlightened
MayCooper said:
Well, why not just buy a car then? keeps you dry when it's raining too...

Hey, I bought a car and I still get wet when cycling in the rain..

Could a "wall of white light" keep the rain off ?