New SC5w Mk II AA Flashlight Neutral White!!

Swede74

Enlightened
Yeah the max 550lm vs 475lm made the choice easy for me. Actually I ordered the SC5c before the w was announced, but I would do the same again. That extra 75lm isn't enough to give up the higher CRI for me

The May 15 vs April 30 shipping date made the choice easy for me.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Mk II HiCri may be too warm for me so the NW version especially that it looks like now there is more control over the tint may work better for me.

markr6

Flashaholic
I think the Mk II HiCri may be too warm for me so the NW version especially that it looks like now there is more control over the tint may work better for me.

The SC5c was too "yellow" for me and I didn't really notice the high CRI like I do with my others. I have other high CRI 4000K lights are they're nowhere near yellow.

So I ordered the SC5w II and it just shipped...will have it Saturday!

TCY

Enlightened
The SC5c was too "yellow" for me and I didn't really notice the high CRI like I do with my others. I have other high CRI 4000K lights are they're nowhere near yellow.

Good luck on that 3-step tint lottery though. Pics please as always:thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
There were times that you won but you didn't take the prize.. Fd Plus wink wink:naughty:

Oh yeah, not real sure about that one still. It wasn't so much the tint, but the floodiness which was just too much. Not the perfect tint I expected either.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you get it yet? Curious to see the comparison!

markr6

Flashaholic
The worthless USPS failed me again. They updated it to Saturday, nothing. It's been sitting in town since Friday 1:17am. Still no updates, so today, Monday, I'm not holding out much hope. Sometime this week maybe?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worthless USPS failed me again. They updated it to Saturday, nothing. It's been sitting in town since Friday 1:17am. Still no updates, so today, Monday, I'm not holding out much hope. Sometime this week maybe?

Lol wow bad luck strikes again! Hoping you get it soon, I know the anticipation is killing you lol.
Let's hope the wait will be worth it and you win the tint lottery :)

markr6

Flashaholic
34525992144_68bf666e10_c.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
YOUR IMPRESSIONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I gave some feedback yesterday...or the day before...but can't find it! Maybe another thread. All the Zebralight threads confuse me!

Oh here it is: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428969-Zebralight-SC5-MKII&p=5106460&viewfull=1#post5106460

I might as well post it here too: I gave it a test and I like it. Not real excited about it, but OK. Compared to my SC63w is nearly impossible to tell the difference; the SC63w may be a slightly warmer. It's about the same as my SC600w HI, a little warmer than my SC52w (the most noticeable difference) and a little warmer than my H52w.

The SC5c was just too yellowish for me, especially when comparing to other 4000K high CRI lights. So this was sort of an impulse buy since I liked the form of the actual body so much. Everything is fine - anodizing, switch, threads, etc. Next to the SC63w, I wonder why I keep buying 1xAA lights since the SC63w is not much bigger. I still have a habit of thinking I "need" at least a few AA lights...that's my only justification :)

Last edited:

autoxer

Newly Enlightened
I have a question about my SC5w Mk II that I am hoping to get some feedback on.

As a disclaimer, I'm new to this hobby and don't know what to expect. This is my first nicer light that I have ever purchased. I am enjoying it overall, but have some questions about the beam.

My light seems to have a wide variety of tints going out the front. The sides are pretty cool white (with hints of purple), with a warmer outer hot spot and a slightly different color in the center of the hot spot.

I have taken a photo. It's just from a cell phone, so it's not color corrected, etc., but it does at least show the color differences that I'm trying to describe:
IMG_20170724_175919.jpg

Also note I'm not just pointing this thing at white walls all the time. In some environments the light looks fine, but in others I can definitely tell there's a variety of colors going on. It can honestly be a bit distracting seeing all the different colors in some scenarios. I definitely notice it when working up close (re-organizing the wires in my entertainment center), but when the beam gets further out, it's not as noticeable (as I would expect).

Are you guys seeing the same output from your lights? Is this normal? Abnormal? Thanks in advance for any input here.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
...aka the Cree rainbow. There's a reason some of us strongly prefer Nichia emitters. Yours is completely normal.

autoxer

Newly Enlightened
Refer to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-here-the-Zebralight-SC5C-MK-II-H-CRI/page14 #395. This is more of a LED designing issue from Cree. The new LED phosphor (XP-L2, XP-G3 etc.) doesn't seem to work well with traditional flashlight reflectors. The "F" versions eg. H53Fc, have a much more uniform tint because of the frosted lens.

Thank you for pointing me to that thread. I feel embarrassed, as I actually posted in there (about a different topic in the discussion), but somehow that discussion totally went by me. Anyhow I did re-read it and feel better educated now - thanks again!

...aka the Cree rainbow. There's a reason some of us strongly prefer Nichia emitters. Yours is completely normal.

That's a good name for the light pattern. Also does make me want to purchase and try my first light with a Nichia emitter now that I can see for myself why some people here would really dislike the light pattern I am seeing.

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I will just continue to enjoy the light and may have to add a Nichia light to my list of lights to try next...