new set screw tool for Mag D switch

LightJunk

Enlightened
Just want to add some info here. I bought a Maglite D Switch Assembly Acc/Kit Repair from here and it came with both 5/64 allen and T8 torx wrench. The T8 torx wrench fits in nicely into the top hole of the switch.

For $7.89, I think it's a good deal.

The switch that came with it doesn't have a positive spring contact though. I guess it's the new switch.

cdrake261

Enlightened
Just want to add some info here. I bought a Maglite D Switch Assembly Acc/Kit Repair from here and it came with both 5/64 allen and T8 torx wrench. The T8 torx wrench fits in nicely into the top hole of the switch.

For $7.89, I think it's a good deal.

The switch that came with it doesn't have a positive spring contact though. I guess it's the new switch.

That for the entire switch? Are they trustworthy?

PJ

Enlightened
Detroit, Michigan area update.

The store I found the 'good' Chesco Torx sets had them back in stock.
I stopped in on Saturday, Oct. 29 and they had about a dozen.

From my previous post:
I found a 7 pc. folding Torx driver set that works. It is a Chesco model 88056 with sizes from T-6 to T-10,T15 and T-20. The UPC number is 038548880563.

Updated on 3-10-2011: There are 2 different Chesco 88056 tools

The 'good' Chesco set is 3" long closed, has slotted screws holding it together and has the Chesco name stamped on the right side. The T8 works on a 3D Mag LED.

For anyone in the Detroit area they are at Kitts Industrial Tools on 8 Mile road just east of Grand River. They are in aisle 5 on the left hand side near some electrical stuff and are about $7.50 with tax.

Last edited:

kmnremtp

Newly Enlightened
Detroit, Michigan area update.

The store I found the 'good' Chesco Torx sets has them back in stock.
I stopped in on Saturday, Oct. 29 and they had about a dozen.

From my previous post:

For anyone in the Detroit area they are at Kitts Industrial Tools on 8 Mile road just east of Grand River. They are in aisle 5 on the left hand side near some electrical stuff and are about $7.50 with tax.

If anyone wants one let me know and I can mail it out in a padded envelope. I'll check the weight and post the total cost when I get a chance.

PJ, I'd definatly be interested in buying one of these tools, if possible. The T8 on this particular tool DOES fit, without modification right? I do not have capability of pm, but if you could shoot me an email kmnremtp at yahoo, I'd appreciate it very much.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
If anyone would be willing to grind down a torx key for me I would be willing to cover all costs. I just don't have a grinder or anywhere to use one.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone would be willing to grind down a torx key for me I would be willing to cover all costs. I just don't have a grinder or anywhere to use one.
There's really no need. I just faced this same problem a few days ago, where no torx driver would fit through the hole in the switch. Simple solution, I just got a drill of the same diameter as the shaft of my no. 8 torx driver and enlarged the hole in the plastic switch until it was big enough for the driver to fit through. As long as you don't go mad and try to make the hole too big, it works fine. Much easier than messing about with a grinder.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
I tried to drill it out, how do you get past the spring? I am trying use the whole assembly in another body.

Neal

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't need to get past the spring. My torx driver is only slightly thicker than the hole. After I had drilled as far as the spring I inserted the driver and pushed a bit and it went all way down to the set screw.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Guess my t8 is just way too big, drilled out quite a bit and still nothing. If I go any bigger there will be no on off switch left.

Neal

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new switch from Maglight.com and it came with both a hex wrench and a T8 wrench that fits the new screw. I didn't need the wrenches as I had previously ground down a T8 screwdriver to fit, but it's a nice bonus!

neal71

Newly Enlightened
I bought a new switch from Maglight.com and it came with both a hex wrench and a T8 wrench that fits the new screw. I didn't need the wrenches as I had previously ground down a T8 screwdriver to fit, but it's a nice bonus!

Want to sell the t8 that came with your switch?

Neal

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll keep the wrench as a spare. The total cost for the new switch and wrenches was only about $10.00 if I recall. My first driver was a TX8 sourced from ebay and ground down on my bench grinder. Either way, quick, cheap, easy.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Did you order the new switch assembly, or the old one. They seem like they are not willing to send out anything with the new wrench.

lolzertank

Enlightened
It's really not that hard to do, I ground down a $2.50 Torx T8 from eBay with nothing but a small metal file. Took about 20 minutes (keeping the tip intact while getting rid of the taper was infuriating), and my hands are a bit sore, but all in all pretty easy.

PJ

Enlightened
May 8, 2012

The store I found the 'good' Chesco Torx sets had them back in stock.
I stopped in on Saturday, May 5, 2012 and they had about 20 in stock.

From my previous post:
I found a 7 pc. folding Torx driver set that works. It is a Chesco model 88056 with sizes from T-6 to T-10,T15 and T-20. The UPC number is 038548880563.

Updated on 3-10-2011: There are 2 different Chesco 88056 tools

The 'good' Chesco set is 3" long closed, has slotted screws holding it together and has the Chesco name stamped on the right side. The T8 works on a 3D Mag LED.

For anyone in the Detroit area they are at Kitts Industrial Tools, Farmington Hills, MI on 8 Mile road just east of Grand River.

Last edited:

EMC2

Newly Enlightened
Call the warranty department, tell them you have a problem with your switch, give them your serial number and you will get a new switch and both tools.

Be prepared to wait.

Latest posts