NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Re: NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

MattK said:
You'll be happy to know that I've been getting regular emails from TerraLUX today with updates on their runtime testing with a 4D - last time they checked in was at 15 hours and still at full brightness. :)

:) boy you must have read my mind. See the above post. :) Try to see if they can state the throw lux in a 4D.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW! TerraLUX MaxStar5 K2 5W U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C or D cell Maglites TLE-6K2!

I think that's spot on - the 4 cell configuration will maintain full brightness for far longer.

BTW - at 14 hours it was still going strong - we don't know the final number yet :)

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Matt - Thanks for the info. Offhand, I'm thinking two either 2D, or 2C LiON's. Haven't looked into them much, but at that size, I would hope they'd be sportin' protection (Enter: Trojan MANNN!! :stupid: ). I'll look into it.

However, I also happen to have an old 4D mag collecting dust. So for even less buckage, 4 alkies should do the job just fine. According to your last posts, 4D runs pretty long on alky.

01:40 AM - You'll be happy to know that I've been getting regular emails from TerraLUX today with updates on their runtime testing with a 4D - last time they checked in was at 15 hours and still at full brightness.

02:54 AM - BTW - at 14 hours it was still going strong - we don't know the final number yet

Terralux may be good for the money, but they're not using time travel quite to their advantage, now are they?! ;)

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
SuperTorch said:
Hmmm well after much panic I think I'll just move to a 4D Mag and let the regulation do its magic, I don't like loooooong flashlights, but this 3D feels good in the hand and I think I can live with even a 4D cell and just like the fact it will have tremendous runtime and I can fend off supermodel advances towards me with it. With the 4D it should be able to maintian 5Watts for quite a while. The 2D Mag actually looks decent it starts at about 4.5 watts but with in 15-30 minutes it drops to about 1.5 watts :(.
have you had a 4c yet smaller grip and alittle shorter the the Dcell brothers

SuperTorch

Enlightened

D LiONs sound interesting for a 2 D but wouldn't they have to be 3.0volts each. At 1.5 each youd still be in the lower 3 Watts of the cicuit regulation. 2 3.0volt LiON should be absolutly perfect in regardless of cost as they'd run forever. But they don't make 3.0volts D liONs do they? Also I have seen battery carriers that used 8 either AAA or AA to fit in 2D Cell MAgs but now I can't remember where I saw them. I don't really need 24 hours of runtime, 2 hours at >90% brightness would be cool in a 2D set up and I'd just buy more batts ween needed. Very interest in the D liONs though, 3 CR123 may work if you had a battery carrier that would hold them.

Idealy I wish they made a regulated 3watt.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch - 2 D Li_ions would run at ~7.2-7.4V (3.6-3.7 ea) there's no voltage reducing PCB for Li_ion D cells that I'm aware of.

If you want to run NiMh and are truly motivated you could also make a pack of 4 or 6 1/2D Dimh cells - now you're at the 2-3 cell size but always running 6-9V :)

Bimmerboy - Heh - I've been working 16 hours a day for the past few weeks - my brain's not functioning at full capacity lately. :p

SuperTorch

Enlightened

This is an edit: Matt I think I miss understood your post, I thought you were telling me "NO Primary 2D Lithiums won't work" , but I guess your saying most likely will but play at your own risk. If so Id buy some Primary D Lithiums from you. Below is my post of me thinking your saying NO to d Lithiums. If I can use Lithiums D Cells in a MAG 2D - I KNOW THATS WHAT I WANT.

Well if the circuit in the MaxStar5 can handle up to 9.0V as with a 6 D Cell and reduce it back down to whatever is needed it should be able to handle 2 3.6V LiON D cells right or wrong? Because I have located me 2 LiON D's at 3.6V each for 7.2-7.4V, So I assumend(which is usualy a bad thing) if the MaxStar5 could manage 9.0V this would be under it and ok. Not Right? - Reducing the LiON Voltage is harder than reducing Alkalines is what your telling me and it'll burn up? Well the circuit seems to handle any thing fro 3-6 cells so I figured it would adjust.

If the new low self discharge technology had reached the 1/2 D cell market I wouldn't hesitate but This light wont be used every day, so that not a fit till the new tech arrives.

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened

By the way in a 6 cell NiMh you'd be at 7.2 volts and reducing that would be very tough too right. Can you ask the TerraLUX tech support if they think 2 D LiONs would be safe or not.

Also in the Lithium D cells I'm finding on the net it looks like they are saying maximum discharge current 300mA peak - pulse at about 400mA, that means if the MaxStar5 tries to pull 1000mA then thats a major no no right?. Lithium Cells I thought were good/reasonable at high discharge currents.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch - I absolutely think the lithium's would work - but play at your own risk - exactly. :)

If you mean rechargeable, not primary, I don't have those - if the market were there I'd consider carry them.

When you say primary lithium D's that means non-rechargables which are usually 3.0V not 3.6/3.7V - and I do have them in stock but they're pretty spendy. I have Saft Lithium Sulfur Dioxide LO26SHX's in stock (with tabs - you'll need to fuss with them a bit.) here's a link: http://batteryjunction.com/saprlibalo.html. These are big boy cells.

If there were enough interest I could also offer Saft LSH20's which are 3.6V 13Ah cells but at $25+ cell and non-rechargeable I don't think there's be many takers here. :)

I think you're confusing yourself - let's clarify:

A 'primary battery' is a non-rechargeable battery. Primary battery types are alkaline, silver oxide, Lithium (again a catchall term for about 5 diff chemistries), carbon zinc (heavy duty), mercury oxide, etc.

A rechargeable battery is tenchically a 'secondary battery' some types are NiMh, NiCd, Lead Acid, Nickel Hydrogen, Lithium Ion ( a catchall term for about 5 different chemistries), etc...

Both of these are types of 'chemical batteries'.

Nominal voltages for each type are:
Alkaline 1.5V
NimH/NiCd 1.2V
Lithium Ion (rechargeable) 3.7V
Lithium Primary (various chemistries- not rechargeable) 3 to 3.6V

Now, there are some lithium ion cells on the market - PCB controlled RCR123A's being an example - that use a PCB (printed circuit board) with a voltage control circuit to reduce the voltage of these lithium ion cells under load.

So, 6 NiMh cells at 1.2V is under the 9V ceiling the item is designed for - that won't be a problem.

TerraLUX won't be able to tell you whether or not 2 D sized Li-Ions (rechargeables) would be safe - that's not something they'd ever test for and their expertise is not in batteries. I can tell you that the voltage produced by the cells is within the tolerance of the device (0-9V) and that there's no resaon they won't power the LED. The question you need to ask is how will you keep the cells from discharging too far (voltage). I don't personally have experience with D sized Li_ion cells and am not sure if anyones really offering them on the retail market but I expect they can handle the drain rates of the LED - but I'd need to see the specs of the specific batteries you intend to use to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch said:
...Also in the Lithium D cells I'm finding on the net it looks like they are saying maximum discharge current 300mA peak - pulse at about 400mA, that means if the MaxStar5 tries to pull 1000mA then thats a major no no right?. Lithium Cells I thought were good/reasonable at high discharge currents.

Link?

SuperTorch

Enlightened

No I mean non-rechargable(Primary 1 time use) batteries, mainly because I thought they will be safer. I don't care that I have to pay $20 a cell as they should provide 15-20 hours of runtime so I'd be paying about $2 a hour which is OK. I'm not opposed to rechargable LiONs as long as they hold their charge and I guess LiONs DO. So it doesn't really matter which type I just want the Safest/Sensible 2D setup, So if primary D Lithiums are not any more safe than rechargables(that have reverse charge where one battery starts to charge the other and all those weird issuses) then Id get recharables. Paying $30-$50 for D Lithiums does'nt scare me as long as I get my moneys worth(Safer) because I'd only replace them 2 times a year at most untill I get more busy. Like I said I'm a nuby so someone can just tell me get these their the best. But I do know that I want a 2D Cell set up if its doable. I've spent $32 for the LED, $18 For the MAG 2D, $12 for some tempered glass replacement lens and then D Lithiums, I will be way happier than the $60 I spent on a Inova T3 that can only burn for 2 Hours so I can very easly justify the D Lithiums + I get a 5watt LED regulated and keep the FOCUS ability of the MAG-LITE.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

SuperTorch said:

Don't use those - Lithium Thionyl Chloride are made for extended life spans at very low drain rates over very wide temperature differentials - gps locator beacons, alarm systems, data loggers, etc. The Saft LSH20 cells the batteryspace cells PURPORT to replace can handle 1.8A drain rates - someone didn't do their homework.

I don't really have time go into a long technical explanation of cell construction and the various chemistries/contrustions available and how they work but check this out - you may find it helpful http://www.saftbatteries.com/130-Catalogue/PDF/primary_selector_guide.pdf

SuperTorch

Enlightened

Well the ones you link to sound fine, but I don't know how to work with the tabs though, do they have them in the normal set-up?.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great info, Matt. Thank you. Goes to show ya' what I know about lithium D's. Now I know more.

MattK said:
Bimmerboy - Heh - I've been working 16 hours a day for the past few weeks - my brain's not functioning at full capacity lately. :p

I know the feeling well! :laughing: Couldn't resist the tease.

butcher_block

Newly Enlightened
got it its in my 6 c cell
like it but im not sure its much brighter then my 3 watt 4 cell
i need new batts so that may be what it is

SuperTorch

Enlightened
butcher_block said:

Same/not as bright as your Mag 4C LED is that watt your saying? The Mag drops very quickly and this should stay brighter longer but probqbly in real world not much. The Diamond K2 6.75 Drop in runtime was just posted at FLR and it doesn't even hold 50% like the Diamond 3Watt does so once it drops to almost 25% then rebound for about 40%- Unimpressive. The MaxStar5 has regulation but the more I look at the K2 its just nothing special, Heatwise it seems to being doing worse then a 3watt luxeon at least that how I read it at FLR if you compare the 2. The 3watt direct drive takes forever to go below 50%. If mine dosen't seem twice as bright as my 3watt TaskForce then it'll go back I'll just get a 2D MAG LED and live with it, none of them seems to hold their brightness very long so why blame the MAGs for droping fast. I'd just get the Mag 2D and then wait on the Cree XR-E drop in, that I bet will take 6 months to get here. I should have mine tommorrow, going in a 4D Mag which shold be perfect exammple of the best the MaxStar5 was made for, it'll get a fair shake but if its not much brighter than my TaskForce 3W LED then theres no point in keeping it. I'll test it over the weekend for sure.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
Hi MattK,

How in total for 1 unit ship to Malaysia postcode 47000?
Just to reconfirmed the total price.

$5 - anywhere in the world but frankly I'd suggest EMS for Malaysia - we've found standard service there to be spotty. EMS is $18.50.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
butcher_block said:

I looked at it side by side with a 3W and it's definitely brighterwith better beam quality and color. I did all my testing with fresh Duracells and 2 lights side by side (3 cell and 4 cell).

Remember when judging brightness by eye that your body works on a log10 scale so that a doubling of light output is perceived as a 30% improvement. In other words your eye is a lousy measure. When you add in the optics, spot size etc., its almost useless. No offense intended, its just human factors…

Status
Not open for further replies.