New Toys!

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
Xeno says its the first cubic flashlight on earth. I wonder why they did not count this one?

dscn2306.jpg
When did that come out? I know the cube's been out for like 2+ years now..

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
Really like the tint on the Cube. I've wanted a Cube since they were using XR-Es! The design just looks really cool to me. And the solid SS bar thing is great. I love the feel of a SS light. Practical - no. Awesome - yes :thumbsup:

TomnAl

Newly Enlightened
Sweet , have fun ! Incidentally , my 4Sevens G5 drop in today ! Gonna torture it just for satisfaction ! Haha :) ! Note: Last part was fake !

Napalm

Enlightened
Just to let you know that against Canada Post best efforts a package containing an Eagletac P20A2 with XM-L HO module and a cool white Xeno Cube has eventually arrived. Will post pics and stuff this weekend however a few things for now:

- the cool white XM-L Cube led is from the 1B bin
- the Cube is fabulous in both cool and neutral versions
- Illumination Gear still has a few neutral Cubes in stock (XP-G), hurry up lol
- the hotspot of the XM-L Eagletac is smaller than the one on the Cube or Thrunite (tighter focusing?)
- the hotspot of the XM-L Eagletac has a much nicer, gradual transition to spill than the XP-G S2 version, much easier on the eyes

And a quick question. The new Eagletac came with a plastic ring installed on the tail that has an eyelet to help attaching the lanyard. How can I remove this fracking ring without breaking it? I suppose I have to pry it open somewhere at the eyelet side or the opposite side? But all my efforts so far looked like it will break before I could pry enough, so anyone that already did it could advice?

Nap.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
A couple of questions about 'The Cube', how do you access the battery? And, do you have any pics of it opened up, Nap?

Napalm

Enlightened
A couple of questions about 'The Cube', how do you access the battery? And, do you have any pics of it opened up, Nap?

At the switch end there is that half ring, you pull it out (with your nail or by gravity) then use it to unscrew the switch assembly. Will post some more pics soon, but as far as internal construction is concerned, the contact for the (+) end of the battery has a spring too. Won't wear any time soon.

Nap.

brembo

Enlightened
Naplam-

Now that you have had some quality time with the Cube, how do you like the tint? I have a Pocket Rocket (download's light) coming my way soon in T5-4A (which is very close to the 4c). The PR is driven a bit harder (2600/600/150). Does the Cube's tint go all wonky at lower levels?

Napalm

Enlightened
Naplam-

Now that you have had some quality time with the Cube, how do you like the tint? I have a Pocket Rocket (download's light) coming my way soon in T5-4A (which is very close to the 4c). The PR is driven a bit harder (2600/600/150). Does the Cube's tint go all wonky at lower levels?

I won't comment too much on tints as I'm not oversensitive to them (it would need to be alien green or something to offend me).

I like the "neutral", it sometimes looks a little bit "pink" depending on the ambient light, but nothing extraordinary. The 4A should be more "neutral" I think. It is pretty much in line with my bedroom lighting (3000K) except it has a tad more blue. Cool white (bluish) looks out of place in the bedroom though.

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
I suppose I have to pry it open somewhere at the eyelet side or the opposite side? But all my efforts so far looked like it will break before I could pry enough, so anyone that already did it could advice?

Managed to take it out. You have to insert a screwdriver and pry open in the slot opposite to the eyelet.

Nap.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno says its the first cubic flashlight on earth. I wonder why they did not count this one?

dscn2306.jpg

Because this one was a blatant ripoff of the cube. It came out suspiciously after the Cube did. I mean the Chinese are known ripoff artists, in the case of Xeno it's Chinese knocking off Chinese so no harm done. Maybe Xeno will somehow help the case for patent and trademark enforcement in China. But take a look at XG-V3, pure Gatlight knockoff. So it's not like this is the first time it's happened.

Napalm

Enlightened
Some pics of the Eagletac P20A2 XP-G S2 vs XM-L HO modules.

XPG:

XML:

Side by side XPG on left fence pane and XML on right fence pane:

XPG again:

and XML:

Also the XML seems colder (more bluish) to me eye.

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
:party: Just arrived!!!! Sunwayman M40A T6 (XM-L) !!!

Box:

Out of the box. My sample has a very nice pearl platinum grey anodizing:

The XM-L led:

Size comparison with Sunwayman M20A and M10A:

Disassembled:

Assembling it back; the brass contact on the head feels solid and has a spring underneath:

Turned on in "low" setting; the low is pleasantly low:

1.5 meters beamshot; left, M40A on medium; right, M20A on high; I was surprised to find out that the M40A is geared more toward throw, without excessively being so, and with the XM-L led produces a more focused beam than the M20A with XP-G; I was kinda' expecting some floody "wall of light":

M40A (left) on high; M20A (right) on high:

So far I love it; I'm waiting for the night to come to see how it's doing outdoors.

If any interest in "backyard at night" beamshots I'll post some pics later. Just let me know.

Nap. :party:

Napalm

Enlightened
P.S. The magnetic ring is butter smooth with clearly marked but not excessive detents. Just right to give a "luxury" feel. Finish is impeccable. LED is perfectly centered. Couldn't find any faults yet.

Nap.

brembo

Enlightened
In the closeup of the emitter/head the white ring around the LED looks like it's textured. Is that the case or is it just reflections off the LOP reflector? I zoomed in some but can't really tell. Something about this light calls to me yet I can't put a finger on why. No reason it shouldn't as it's a great light, it just stands out as one of those gadgets that whispers "Buy me, c'mon.....get that CC out and buy me....". *shrug*

Napalm

Enlightened
Brembo: the flat part around the LED is indeed textured. I would qualify the overall texture of the reflector as being "aggressive"; anyway it's much more pronounced than on the smaller siblings M20 and M10.

I've got mine from Singapore but now it's on stock at a well known U.S. dealer too. Won't say whom as Norm would moderate me again. :sick2:

Nap.

brembo

Enlightened
Cool. That's a nice touch from SWM to go the extra step to continue the theme of texturing to the board cover. They could have just put a smooth disc there and called it a day. From all I'm seeing from SWM products they look to be top-tier in QA and design, granted a custom jobbie will likely be screwed up a bit tighter. Another check in the pro column for the V10R.